• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 1

Ham   
25 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Polo 

Fitting because, as the Geordies would say, that's mint. 

Kezza   

Sarri acknowledged Jorginho is a problem. But can't he be more flexible in his tactics and rotate Kante into Jorginho position? We have enough midfield to take up Kante's current position so it should not be a problem. The issue is whether Sarri wants to move Kante back into the defensive mid position. I think though he only has one characteristic for the player for the position. 

Holymoly   

From Reddit:

Ever since Chelsea’s 3-1 thumping in the league by Tottenham, a lot of light has been shed on the Jorginho's passing whenever put under pressure. Teams have found it easy to disrupt Chelsea’s rhythm by marking him out of the game and forcing him to go sideways, backwards or making an error. Against Newcastle, the numbers would suggest that he had an efficient game, making 92 accurate passes (91% pass percentage) and getting dispossessed only once. What the stats fail to indicate is his lack of penetration and invention in the final third. Jorginho has the highest number of passes in the Premier League (1997) but has failed to produce a single assist so far and his only goal was a penalty. Certainly, a player who needs to step up his game.

Blue Rod   
16 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

From Reddit:

What the stats fail to indicate is his lack of penetration and invention in the final third. Jorginho has the highest number of passes in the Premier League (1997) but has failed to produce a single assist so far and his only goal was a penalty. Certainly, a player who needs to step up his game.

There is an obvious reason for the ineffectiveness of Jorginho's passes. Just as a striker needs to shift the ball sometimes in order to find a good shooting position, a midfielder may need to move the ball in order to execute the killer pass. Jorginho can't run with the ball,  can't dribble, and can't shake off a challenge. And so he is not passing from the best angle. 

There is also a lot to be said about his actual passing techniques. I've watched him repeatedly fail to find the head of Giroud  - either overhitting, or the ball simply not dipping. 

Blue Rod   

I am starting to question whether Sarri knows what he's doing. He is using Jorginho's struggle as proof that the club must replace Fabregas. But he never gave Fabregas a real chance as Jorginnho was struggling. He also says Willian must stay; and that is because after months of playing poorly he finally scored a brilliant goal. If Willian stays, it simply makes it even harder for CHO to stay. Thirdly, Sarri can't seem to understand that his team needs more than new signings. His system has been exposed as ineffective. He should adapt and he can do that with the current squad. 

johnboy   

The frustration with Sarri on this site is plain to see. The focus of frustration earlier in his reign was the defence. This has now shifted to the midfield & attack. Whether Sarri can address these issues is yet to be seen. Even if it means the addition of new players will he continually pick the same starting line up? He has yet to come up with a plan B if the game plan is not panning out, he just replaces like for like which has hardly no effect other than to bring on fresh legs. The football is frustrating on the eye because using Jorginho as an out ball for the team often means an unnecessary side or backward pass just allowing the opposing side to get their defence in order. Stats may show great possession percentage but not great penetration. Now of course being 4th in the league is not to be sniffed at after last season but can he & Zola improve the midfield, attacking side of the game to push the side further? I see us a long way from the front two, not necessarily in personnel (although a proven goal scorer is a must) but in terms of the speed , numbers & energy at which we break. Sarri needs to address this as well as having options to tweak the style if the game plan is not working. Maybe he needs the close season to achieve this, but signs of flexibility from him would certainly be appreciated by most on this site, I’m sure.We may stumble on to achieve 4th but with the Europa league, F.A cup, the semi final, possible final of the League cup still on the horizon, I am not totally convinced. Convince me Mr Sarri by showing greater flexibility in the starting line up & in the substitutions you make. Would it be possible for you to excite the fans with a quicker style of breaking football? Even small steps would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, johnboy said:

The frustration with Sarri on this site is plain to see. The focus of frustration earlier in his reign was the defence. This has now shifted to the midfield & attack.

So he's an all-rounder?

Luiz can do what Jorginio does but Luiz is quicker, can at least tackle, not afraid to shoot and score the odd goal,and make killer passes..hell why not give him a go at CF instead of playing Hazard as a false 9

Greatest British sports person of all time? That's a hard one - shortlist of Lennox Lewis, Sit Steve Redgrave, Jonny Wilkinson, Sir Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton for me. I know I'm going to get stick for Wilkinson and Hamilton but so be it, I'll just ignore you.

As for Chelsea, yesterday was yet another frustrating viewing and after stepping back to consider it a bit more... it's still really frustrating.

I understand and agree with everyone's frustrations with Jorginho at the moment, he/his role isn't working and Sarri HAS to either change him or the system. Currently, it seems the players are instructed to go through Jorginho whenever possible and all that does is slows us down - so many times yesterday we had a chance to break or a man free out wide and rather than play the pass, the ball gets played back in to the middle for Jorginho to then distribute it to the player who was free or to a player closer to the player who was free and it's infuriating, it slows us down and kills the opportunity to attack. I don't think Jorginho is as bad as some are saying, I think right now it's the tactics and system that are causing the bigger issue.

Some have mentioned it already, but in the early days Sarri's side was criticised for being poor defensively, but he seems to have almost resolved that now - we don't concede many, however that seems to have come at the expense of our transitions from back to front and our attacking threat - we now don't score enough. Personally I think Sarri is doing a better job than many seem to think. If we had this points total in most other seasons then we're well in the title race, but we're in a season where Liverpool and Man City are freakishly dominant. Let's also not forget not only is this Sarri's first season but he also didn't have much of a pre-season and didn't get time to work with his players to get them in to this new system or a chance to assess the players and ship some out and bring some in etc (of course not helped by the window closing so early).

It's frustrating at the moment, it really is, but I honestly think if we stick with Sarri and this system and give him the time to build the team he really wants then we'll be fine and we'll slowly get ourselves back in to a position to fight for the title consistently. It takes time though as this is a very different manager and system to what we've had at this club before and we can also all agree we have a serious amount of deadwood in this squad and we no doubt need to get that out before we can bring others in. I hope we'll get 2/3 signings in this window and then I expect the summer to be another 3/4 and at that point we'll be much closer to the squad of players Sarri wants and needs.

This isn't to say Sarri is perfect, he obviously has his flaws and his biggest ones that I can currently see are his lack of rotation and his unwillingness to make a change in formation/tactics during a game to try and change the game, it's so often like for like changes. Apparently this was the same at Napoli, but I'm hoping that once he has a squad of players to fit his system, he'll be more inclined to rotate and make those changes. It feels like he only trusts about 13/14 players to really play in his system from the players we have, either that or he is painfully stubborn.

Also we're 4th with a cushion of 6 points now and play Arsenal next, if we get a draw or win there then we're in a good position for a Champions League place, which realistically is what our aim for the season was. United play Spurs today, so someone else around us dropping points, I just don't know what way I want it to go.. I think draw and if not a Spurs win. We don't want Arsenal and United chasing us down ideally. However if United do win, we're 1 behind Spurs in 3rd... so it's not all doom and gloom.

57 minutes ago, johnboy said:

The frustration with Sarri on this site is plain to see. The focus of frustration earlier in his reign was the defence. This has now shifted to the midfield & attack.

I can see a lot of frustration here.  22 games into the season we have conceded just 17 goals, one of the lowest rates in years.  No wonder people have given up on that track and moved to midfield and attack.  Nevertheless we are still well up on goals scored compared to last season.  
I wonder what people will move onto next.

31 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Some have mentioned it already, but in the early days Sarri's side was criticised for being poor defensively, but he seems to have almost resolved that now - we don't concede many, however that seems to have come at the expense of our transitions from back to front and our attacking threat - we now don't score enough.

So we conceded 8 in the first 11 games, 9 in the last 11 games.  Not sure where defensive problem or solution has arisen.

But yes we are scoring less now than earlier in the season.  This is the long tiring part of the season, and Sarri has just 3 front line players he is willing to start.  I would have 4, by including Giroud.  But however you pick them, this huge squad is embarrassingly short on Front 3 players.  Has been from the start of the season, and presumably is the main target to fix (Pulsilic).