• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Newcastle United 1

25 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

"kissed" - missed or did you mean that?  :)

Ha definitely not, I did go for a pee though so replace with missed or pissed!

Personally now that SKY and the EPL have their title race back on ,  I believe their next bit of business is "can United catch Chelsea" , expect to see yet more "close" offsides ruled against us coupled with the usual none but the most blatant penalties given and the opposition allowed to kick us all over the park with impunity until they do. 

Bit of a toughie for United this week so we may have to miss out on three points here to keep things interesting .

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally now that SKY and the EPL have their title race back on ,  I believe their next bit of business is "can United catch Chelsea" , expect to see yet more "close" offsides ruled against us coupled with the usual none but the most blatant penalties given and the opposition allowed to kick us all over the park with impunity until they do. 

Bit of a toughie for United this week so we may have to miss out on three points here to keep things interesting .

Assuming United lose at Spurs, I think it is more likely they'll be on the United collapse again story as confidence disappears and Solskjaer puts them through defensive routines all the next week.  But that game is win win for us.

chara   

Droy seems to be the only one..sorry if I missed anyone else..trying to keep a sense of perspective with CHO.. he may come through big and full time but it doesn't help trying to portray him as the answer to all our problems... I remember the great side that basically came through the "juniors" waaay back in the day....The Doc had them "run" out of the old second division..and others added...Bonetti Shellito Alan Harris Bobby Tambling Venables Boyle Osgood (signed as a "late" junior I think) Bridges Chopper Hollins and so on...

I don't live in the past but I also don't forget the past. So many "second comings" over the years as Droy points out and the standards are so high now in the EPL it is much harder to break through at a younger age.

Newcastle..I find my "dislike" list of clubs apart from the "usual suspects" tends to reflect my feelings regarding the manager/coach..Burnley a good example..first side I saw at SB so until recently always a soft spot...Newcastle sort of neutral until now..definitely on S*** list...think Tubby the only coach/manager most here disliked....Hope for a good result but it doesn't take much football sense to know our problem is goals. Played a couple of times in Newcastle..(Not against Newcastle!) and my memory is of a bunch of posers with a "we are tougher than you soft Southerners!" attitude.... wasn't true of course and I think a few silly misconceptions  were busted!

Ham   

I think they the new, age appropriate, training introduced for milennial players is beginning to really bear fruit.  I think that's the difference with the latest "big things". 

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think they the new, age appropriate, training introduced for milennial players is beginning to really bear fruit.  I think that's the difference with the latest "big things". 

I doubt it.  If there is key reason for a generation of better players it is Arnesen thing of starting Academy training at age 8-10 back around 2007.  That gave us a head start in getting a lot of decent kids born around 1999-2000.

Other clubs have followed that and now for the first time in 6 years we haven't won the Youth Cup (knocked out in round 3, last 64, albeit to Man U).  In the U18 league South, Spurs and Arsenal are marginally ahead of us.

Suddenly the pipeline is over, and I can't think of anyone younger than CHO's U17 WC year, making any real impression.

So yes, Mount(20), Tammy (21), CHO(18), James (19), all look very good, but there is barely a big name younger than that.  Which doesn't mean none will come through (it might even help), but I don't see any reason for the up tick in talent lasting.

(Juni or Chiswickblue - is this fair?)

kev61   

2 hours ago, chara said:

Droy seems to be the only one..sorry if I missed anyone else..trying to keep a sense of perspective with CHO.. he may come through big and full time but it doesn't help trying to portray him as the answer to all our problems... I remember the great side that basically came through the "juniors" waaay back in the day....The Doc had them "run" out of the old second division..and others added...Bonetti Shellito Alan Harris Bobby Tambling Venables Boyle Osgood (signed as a "late" junior I think) Bridges Chopper Hollins and so on...

I don't live in the past but I also don't forget the past. So many "second comings" over the years as Droy points out and the standards are so high now in the EPL it is much harder to break through at a younger age.

Most people HAVE a sense of perspective when they talk about CHO - but some people  think there is something special about him - granted he may be just another player made of fools gold but give him a run of games.

Marcus Radford would not be first team regular with Utd or an England international if not for an injury crisis at utd, you need to give youth a chance and think laterally when it comes utalising the squad without getting the cheque book

I would rather heed a top European club that comes sniffing around  than dwmh!

Ps a club that doesn't throw money around - vorsprung durch technik

chara   
2 hours ago, kev61 said:

Most people HAVE a sense of perspective when they talk about CHO - but some people  think there is something special about him - granted he may be just another player made of fools gold but give him a run of games.

Marcus Radford would not be first team regular with Utd or an England international if not for an injury crisis at utd, you need to give youth a chance and think laterally when it comes utalising the squad without getting the cheque book

I would rather heed a top European club that comes sniffing around  than dwmh!

Ps a club that doesn't throw money around - vorsprung durch technik

Sorry Kev..should have stated that I am a supporter of CHO but don't want him to be blamed for not rescuing the season and I hope he breaks through properly..I feel Ampadu is the one at the moment who should be  getting time and I feel a bit more "solid" about his future but as you say "fools gold" is neither rare nor hidden eventually!

My comments about earlier youth successes at Chelsea(and others) again should have been tempered by the difference in the transfer market now. Back in the heyday of youth schemes there was not the availability or concept of foreign players so new blood basically came from youngsters coming through. Only the successful ones are remembered and I lost track many years ago of the number of guys I met or played with or against who had been at ... name any club.. before being discarded or moved on.

The false premise that some players are good enough for the England set up but unable to command a place in their club 1st team reflects the paucity of home grown talent.Not shortsighted club policies.How many of the players mentioned would have got into the England squad from say 1966 to 2006?

3 hours ago, kev61 said:

The trouble with the Marcus Rashford example is that United tried some 20 youngsters in the season and a half before giving him a game.  Giving kids chances does not make them great players.  And great players force their way through anyway.  If they take their time to do that - they take their time.  They can't be rushed through early.

55 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The trouble with the Marcus Rashford example is that United tried some 20 youngsters in the season and a half before giving him a game.  Giving kids chances does not make them great players.  And great players force their way through anyway.  If they take their time to do that - they take their time.  They can't be rushed through early.

At what age was Cesc when he become an Arse 1st team regular?