• Current Donation Goals

I’m astonished to read the comments on here. Many lambasts Roman’s revolving door policy but truth be told we as Chelsea fans demand that culture. A few bad results and poor form and the blokes head is demanded on a stick. We are the definition of a ruthless mob.

Personally I do see weaknesses in our squad and yes, this set of players aren’t the ones you’d bring with you to a war. But a far worse quality our players have is to play the game in a non-threatening way. We seem to enjoy taking our foot off the gas, to not bring the ball into areas where it will hurt our opponents in order to not have to break sweat, be in a tough physical battle or where we risk losing the ball. We are seriously uncomfortable when the opposition press us high cause our players like the time on the ball and our movement is too slow and reactive. We don’t have players who like to play direct and many of them lack intensity and pace. 

I support Sarri because I can see what he wants to achieve, it’s clear the players aren’t playing to instruction. That much is visible just looking at Sarri on the sidelines. 

But he isn’t free of blame. I’ve criticised him for his continuous selection of a midified three of Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic. His continuous selection of Alonso ahead of Emerson. I also pointed out before the season started that we would be seriously lacking goals, because we lack goal scorers. I lost count how many times our attack broke down yesterday because we had zero presence in the box. No aggressivity, no bodies and nothing to aim for. Both Alonso and Azpilicueta made that clear on the pitch. 

Klopp is in his fourth season and he didn’t start to show positive signs until halfway through his third. Poch something similar and Pep was a failure in his first considering the money they spent. We on the other hand has wasted north of £150m on absolute rubbish players. If we are serious in wanting a particular style and a manager that stays on for 5-6 seasons we need to adapt the squad to the manager instead of having this committe deciding this squad composition. 

I support Sarri because mainly I agree with his criticism of the players and can see what he wants to achieve. Fast and direct one-touch passing which should be made for the PL. But if you don’t have the players for it it’s hard to implement. Pulisic is that type of direct player which I think will suit Sarri well. But we need more, much more. 

In any case, firing Sarri now will achieve what exactly? Who’s available? Jose? Who else? 

• Like 2

To be clear, my suggestion of getting Jose in for a 3rd time was a joke... I don't know why a top club would touch him at the moment.

Sarri has put himself in a sink or swim situation after that press conference, he will either get the desired response from the players and it will be seen as a turning point for good, or he'll have now lost the players and therefore sadly, his job.

I feel for Sarri, he has a group of players that don't fit his style, however he has also stated on many occasions he likes to coach players rather than use the transfer window, so he's now going to be forced to eat his words a little - did he just happen upon the right squad for his desired style at Napoli? The other issue is, he refuses to tweak his style or the starting 11, he's just sending the same underperforming team out week in week out and so that's on him.

If I were him, I'd be desperately trying to get Cahill closer to the starting 11 if I can, he's the one true lion heart leader we have left and we need him. For as good as Azpilicueta is, he is not the fierce leader we need right now.

Our squad isn't terrible, but it honestly isn't great, we have a lot of dead weight and a lot of players who'd be ok in the starting 11 of the lesser teams in the league. As long as the board are in agreement, I think we're in the early days of a rebuild, however my worry is they're just going to continue to look for quick fixes and papering over cracks.

Bison   
9 hours ago, Original 21 said:

The only positive thing that might happen from today’s fiasco is that Abramovic might just panic enough to fund a couple of transfers. Sarri will get his replacements for Morata and Fabregas. Inferior ones most likely. But it’s Sarri’s call.

Sarri will get Higuain by the looks of it. Despite the apparent reservations of the Board.

Sarri will now live or die by how good a signing Higuain turns out to be.

He’ll have nowhere to hide if things don’t work out. 

Abramovich hasn't stopped funding but the quality of players bought continues to get worse. Getting the club to spend isn't the problem - whoever is identifying the rubbish we continue to buy is what needs investigating. I would genuinely replace 8 of our starting 11 yesterday with new players if given the chance.

Edited by Bison

15 minutes ago, Bison said:

Abramovich hasn't stopped funding but the quality of players bought continues to get worse. Getting the club to spend isn't the problem - whoever is identifying the rubbish we continue to buy is what needs investigating. I would genuinely replace 8 of our starting 11 yesterday with new players if given the chance.

Exactly the point Conte made and was lambasted for , wanting player A and settling for player C or D .

I'd love to know who's identifying the players we're buying and why they're buying them.

29 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If I were him, I'd be desperately trying to get Cahill closer to the starting 11 if I can, he's the one true lion heart leader we have left and we need him. 

He's off to Fulham .

I expect he wants to go to a club where he'll get some respect.

And games.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Klopp is in his fourth season and he didn’t start to show positive signs until halfway through his third. Poch something similar and Pep was a failure in his first considering the money they spent. We on the other hand has wasted north of £150m on absolute rubbish players. If we are serious in wanting a particular style and a manager that stays on for 5-6 seasons we need to adapt the squad to the manager instead of having this committe deciding this squad composition. 

I think this is an interesting bit. Klopp when he joined Liverpool he was 47 or so years old and had already won the Bundesliga twice and made a CL final. He had some claret behind him to warrant giving time to build something long term, particularly at the age that he was. Sarri on the other hand is 60 years old and hasn't got any sort of meaningful success behind him. Giving him 4 or so years to get things in order here takes him to his mid-sixties and requires a lot of trust (and backing) by the club. How many years does he then have beyond that in the game? Does it give him enough time to take full advantage of the foundations built as he heads towards his 70's? If he was to leave with foundations in place, would we then need to hire someone similar to maximise all that work put in? Wheres does it really leave us moving forward?

For some perspective regarding age; Sarri is a year older than Ancelotti, while Roy Hodgson is 70 and Wenger 68. Both of which have been questioned as being past it.  

xCELERYx   
43 minutes ago, Bison said:

TBF in recent years we've also been funding our spending largely by sales. Which is probably worse, because we're selling players to then go ahead and reinvest that money poorly.

8 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

So far he has gotten off on the right foot in the sense that both potentially incoming players are players he will rate in terms of their specific qualities. So thats a positive. 

I saw someone mention Jose to make his third return. How much would I love that even though its a dream. One coach lambasts the team for a lack of battling qualities and there is a manager available renowned for creating teams with just those qualities! Sarri should be careful.

But JM is also vilified precisely because he dares to criticise teams and players.  In the end it is down to expectations.  In the end it is about expectations.  If the team does not play to your expectations you push and push until you either get what you want or the whole thing falls apart.  I'm pleased Sarri is now demanding a lot more.

8 hours ago, Leo91 said:

I had a look and there's only 3/4 players left from when the players heads dropped under Jose. It's a different collective this time round. I actually think the players tried today, but Arsenal, Spurs and City (1st half) were just that extra level above in terms of energy, fitness and winning those 50/50 balls.

Yes - this is nothing like the 14/15 set of players.  

I thought they did fine in the 50/50s, but Arsenal got away with a lot of kicking that a CL ref would have stamped out very quickly, and a lot of holding everytime we won the ball back and started to break away.

8 hours ago, chelboy said:

No way should we go down the Jose route again. Sorry to disappoint people but he can not manage modern day footballers anymore in this generation . His methods and approach will lose many in that dressing room. He had his time here and its gone for good. Never mind the football its his man management that would destroy the team. I also can not help but feel all that is left in him is just bitterness. 

This is just crazy.  Which team got 81 points to finish 2nd last season.  It is fair to say that in modern football managers have to be used in cycles of 2 or 3 years.  But Man U 's performance last year would have got any other manage MOTY.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I’m astonished to read the comments on here. Many lambasts Roman’s revolving door policy but truth be told we as Chelsea fans demand that culture. A few bad results and poor form and the blokes head is demanded on a stick. We are the definition of a ruthless mob.

I think quite a few would be astonished if they come back in a month to see what they wrote.
A number of good points in the full post.

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

To be clear, my suggestion of getting Jose in for a 3rd time was a joke... I don't know why a top club would touch him at the moment.

??  Don't know?  Well they soon will

1 hour ago, Bison said:

As Zaffo says, he pretty much has stopped funding, the club finances itself in the main.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Personally I do see weaknesses in our squad and yes, this set of players aren’t the ones you’d bring with you to a war. But a far worse quality our players have is to play the game in a non-threatening way. We seem to enjoy taking our foot off the gas, to not bring the ball into areas where it will hurt our opponents in order to not have to break sweat, be in a tough physical battle or where we risk losing the ball. We are seriously uncomfortable when the opposition press us high cause our players like the time on the ball and our movement is too slow and reactive. We don’t have players who like to play direct and many of them lack intensity and pace. 

I support Sarri because I can see what he wants to achieve, it’s clear the players aren’t playing to instruction. That much is visible just looking at Sarri on the sidelines. 

But he isn’t free of blame. I’ve criticised him for his continuous selection of a midified three of Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic. His continuous selection of Alonso ahead of Emerson. I also pointed out before the season started that we would be seriously lacking goals, because we lack goal scorers. I lost count how many times our attack broke down yesterday because we had zero presence in the box. No aggressivity, no bodies and nothing to aim for. Both Alonso and Azpilicueta made that clear on the pitch. 

I support Sarri because mainly I agree with his criticism of the players and can see what he wants to achieve. Fast and direct one-touch passing which should be made for the PL. But if you don’t have the players for it it’s hard to implement. Pulisic is that type of direct player which I think will suit Sarri well. But we need more, much more. 

In any case, firing Sarri now will achieve what exactly? Who’s available? Jose? Who else? 

Essentially you agree with what everyone has said about Sarri and the numerous mistakes he's made and is continuing to make but you want him to keep his job , not because you believe in his vision but because there's nobody better available .

The shitshow we were served up against Arsenal is the culmination of a process put in place by unqualified board members falling out with a manager who won the league at his first attempt and deciding to throw their lot in with a manager given the seal of approval by the manager who turned them down as they wouldn't commit to his vision .

I've a feeling Guardiola knew exactly what he was doing ,  essentially taking Chelsea out of the equation for a few seasons giving him a good chance of making a go of it in the meantime .

Sarri is going , the football is worse than Contes , the players are sulking as much as they were when Conte was here but this time they're actually leaving , Fabregas our second best player has gone , Cahill is going , CHO cannot see any point in staying , Hazard will go first chance he gets .

Arsenal are a decent side , they were better than us in every department , when they attacked they outnumbered us , when we attacked they outnumbered us.

Sarri has lost the players , he's done .

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sarri has lost the players , he's done .

Out of interest who are the players?

For me, the ones I'd want in 2 years time are:  Kepa, Azpi, Rudiger, Kante, Jorginho, Abraham, CHO, Mount, James
Maybe Alonso and  Hazard, (both will be 30, and I'd just as soon get a lot of money for Hazard).

But essentially it is just 5 players and 4 kids that have barely played for us yet.

The players (up to 22 out of 28) are moving on.  Who cares what they think of the manager.