• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's a tough one .I normally watch them when on the TV and they've been OK , nothing fantastic , they have a never say die attitude that I like which I attribute to SFL which is nice to see 

I haven't seen much to excite me regarding Mason Mount so far to be honest , the kid from Liverpool looks the one there , Wilson is it ?

Have you seen them ?

Not really, apart from the league cup tie. Look out for their results, but that's about it. 

Mount started really well but has dropped off it seems. 

5 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Well you did say that great players should manage great clubs. Sure, if they are good enough is my reply. That they aren’t able to coach lesser players is a pretty strange statement. I’m an expert in my field and I can coach and manage people at all levels of expertise in this area. Laziness isn’t a valid excuse! 

Regarding the hypothetical Frank and Jody at CFC show,

Well,  I have highlighted the major flaw in your thinking, You are applying your own vocational training to an industry that defies all norms, Football, where mediocracy can be rewarded, And winning gets you the sack, There really are very few parallels with any other industry. Good players can make Good Managers, and also they can make spectacular Failures in management, But they are all rich big boys now and can possibly cope in a industry where most managerial careers end in the sack. How and when they get on the bus is subjective, I think your approach to taking on a new coach at CFC is akin to an sending the prospect  off  indentured apprenticeship, with a smidgin of inverse snobbery and then maybe a a chance to sit at the High table, As its football I think other approaches to recruiting coaches are just as valid,

Personally I started with a blank sheet and made a list of pros and cons add a few intangibles like goodwill, History  and luck and. Thought why not.

kev61   
6 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I’m an expert in my field.

So you'r a farmer?,a very noble profession - not for me couldn't stand the smell of all that bullshit,but maybe if you around it a lot you get used to it?.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

So you'r a farmer?,a very noble profession - not for me couldn't stand the smell of all that bullshit,but maybe if you around it a lot you get used to it?.

Nice one, Kev!

kev61   
On 22/01/2019 at 5:41 PM, southcoastal said:

Regarding the hypothetical Frank and Jody at CFC show,

Well,  I have highlighted the major flaw in your thinking, You are applying your own vocational training to an industry that defies all norms, Football, where mediocracy can be rewarded, And winning gets you the sack, There really are very few parallels with any other industry. Good players can make Good Managers, and also they can make spectacular Failures in management, But they are all rich big boys now and can possibly cope in a industry where most managerial careers end in the sack. How and when they get on the bus is subjective, I think your approach to taking on a new coach at CFC is akin to an sending the prospect  off  indentured apprenticeship, with a smidgin of inverse snobbery and then maybe a a chance to sit at the High table, As its football I think other approaches to recruiting coaches are just as valid,

Personally I started with a blank sheet and made a list of pros and cons add a few intangibles like goodwill, History  and luck and. Thought why not.

What does that mean?!! the decipherment of  Egyptian hieroglyphs in footballing terms?.I'm sorry, between you, Droy and the ghost, that intellectualise a simple game drives me nuts -Sarri out! hasn't a clue - easy!.

50 minutes ago, kev61 said:

What does that mean?!! the decipherment of  Egyptian hieroglyphs in footballing terms?.I'm sorry, between you, Droy and the ghost, that intellectualise a simple game drives me nuts -Sarri out! hasn't a clue - easy!.

I don't think you understood a word he wrote - he agrees with you and for the same reasons.  

Work has kept me out of the loop of this one for a day or two but I see it's still flapping around so I'll kick the can a bit further down the street as it is an interesting one. But as  its a hypothetical question no one can be proved right or wrong so maybe let's bear that in mind. 

I'll try and articulate my fears about Lampard better. Young players with little coaching experience going into coaching are on a tightrope. Whether they get a chance to go straight in after badges are done or maybe after some tv punditry. I think it's a fact to say that a couple of failures,  or even one bad failure can totally end a career. Look at Gary Neville. Great footballer, bright, articulate, super pundit who seemed to know all the answers...until he had to do it for real. Utterly humiliated. In fact quite lucky to get back into punditry ( people now think ' well what the hell does he know). Paul Scholls is the latest to say he wants to have a go. On the flip side, old farts like Pullis and Alladyce are pretty bullet proof. They will just skip between jobs and not give a jot.

History has also shown that great players ( I can make a long list) more often than not fail at small or average clubs. Those that don't are like Unicorn shite. They are very precious and in incredible demand ( Zidane/ Guiadiolla type coaches). 

So my fears for Lampard are two fold. If he fails at Derby and gets the sack are we then going to offer him a job? I would suggest no. How can a failed Derby coach manage Chelsea?. If he succeeds and maybe brings them up, will he want to stay there and see what he can achieve? I would suggest yes. And if he achieves fantastic things there ( and we are still floundering as a club) he might prefer a big job abroad or even England coach like Hoddle. So the stars now have to be aligned just right and it might never happen for us now. 

I have heard him say he wants to coach Chelsea,  and in my opinion he would have taken the job in a heartbeat . I also believed he would have completely out managed Sarri in all sorts of areas, from what I have seen rhis season. 

Dont ask me to prove it because I can't. I can only give examples of great players such as Zidane and Pep who have achieved massive success with little experience beforehand. Perhaps Lamps could have been the same. 

Leo91   

Well one thing Zidane has going for him is his success as a player. Lampard while not on Zidanes playing level, I believe made big enough of an impression as a player to earn respect as an ex pro in any dressing room. He's been in dressing rooms with huge egos and played under the best managers of the era. He would have picked some things up. Together with a team behind him (Morris etc) he'll do alright relatively speaking.

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Work has kept me out of the loop of this one for a day or two but I see it's still flapping around so I'll kick the can a bit further down the street as it is an interesting one. But as  its a hypothetical question no one can be proved right or wrong so maybe let's bear that in mind. 

I'll try and articulate my fears about Lampard better. Young players with little coaching experience going into coaching are on a tightrope. Whether they get a chance to go straight in after badges are done or maybe after some tv punditry. I think it's a fact to say that a couple of failures,  or even one bad failure can totally end a career. Look at Gary Neville. Great footballer, bright, articulate, super pundit who seemed to know all the answers...until he had to do it for real. Utterly humiliated. In fact quite lucky to get back into punditry ( people now think ' well what the hell does he know). Paul Scholls is the latest to say he wants to have a go. On the flip side, old farts like Pullis and Alladyce are pretty bullet proof. They will just skip between jobs and not give a jot.

History has also shown that great players ( I can make a long list) more often than not fail at small or average clubs. Those that don't are like Unicorn shite. They are very precious and in incredible demand ( Zidane/ Guiadiolla type coaches). 

So my fears for Lampard are two fold. If he fails at Derby and gets the sack are we then going to offer him a job? I would suggest no. How can a failed Derby coach manage Chelsea?. If he succeeds and maybe brings them up, will he want to stay there and see what he can achieve? I would suggest yes. And if he achieves fantastic things there ( and we are still floundering as a club) he might prefer a big job abroad or even England coach like Hoddle. So the stars now have to be aligned just right and it might never happen for us now. 

I have heard him say he wants to coach Chelsea,  and in my opinion he would have taken the job in a heartbeat . I also believed he would have completely out managed Sarri in all sorts of areas, from what I have seen rhis season. 

Dont ask me to prove it because I can't. I can only give examples of great players such as Zidane and Pep who have achieved massive success with little experience beforehand. Perhaps Lamps could have been the same. 

It’s an interesting perspective. 

But at the end of the day, you assume Lampard would outperform Sarri based on nothing tangible at all (your feelings for Frank aside). 

I share your love for Lampard but prefer that we sign managers who are proven, regardless of what they did as players. I also think it is worth remembering that the more obvious examples of past players who have been successful as managers actually managed teams who were, and still are, head and shoulders above the rest of the competition in their respective leagues. Here I’m talking about Bayer Munich, Real and Barca. 

Conte didn’t start at Juve from day one, he proved himself first. 

I also don’t share your view that Lampard wouldn’t come to manage here if he was successful. Besides, who says he must manage us within the next few seasons (if he does well at Derby). A managers career is potentially 30 years - plenty of time for that to happen if he’s good enough to manage at this level. 

paulw66   
7 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Lampard would take the Chelsea job in a heartbeat even if he performs miarcles at Derby

4 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

But at the end of the day, you assume Lampard would outperform Sarri based on nothing tangible at all (your feelings for Frank aside). 

Pure sentiment.

Even Pep managed the Barca B team (in a competitive enviroment) first, and just about every other succesful manager in the modern era has had to "breaks rocks" before getting a top job. Zidane is the only example where this isn't the case