• Current Donation Goals

paulw66

Petr Cech Appointed Technical and Performance Advisor

JaneB   
13 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Pretty sure this is just a fun amateur thing to do.  I think he was a Hockey keeper before he was a football keeper as a kid but had to give it up.
IMO he should be GK2 - he is younger than Caballero or Green last year.

Hope he wears a helmet!

5 hours ago, CFCchris85 said:

Yep this is an amateur thing-it’s almost the equivalent of playing Sunday league football. The team he has signed for plays in the fourth tier of British Ice Hockey which is a pay to play league. Everyone who plays in this league has a full time job outside of hockey. It’s a nice story for the press though.

Thanks guys.  It just didn't sit right with me the first time I read it.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Why? 

He obviously has the ear of RA, and is an intelligent guy. Perfectly suited to the role he has IMO 

It was just a thought Paul.  I knew you wouldn't agree.

paulw66   
3 hours ago, JaneB said:

Thanks guys.  It just didn't sit right with me the first time I read it.

It was just a thought Paul.  I knew you wouldn't agree.

I didn't agree or disagree. I asked a question 

Why do you think he isn't suited to his current role?

Edited by paulw66

JaneB   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I didn't agree or disagree. I asked a question 

Why do you think he isn't suited to his current role?

I don't necessarily think he isn't suited, I'm just not sure what his current role is.  And that was underlined in my mind when he appeared to be taking on a second role outside Chelsea.  

For obvious reasons I thought if any role suited him it would be GK Coach which wouldn't have left him time to take on anything else.

Petr Cech saves penalty, named man of the match in pro ice hockey debut

Petr Cech was named man of the match in his pro ice hockey debut
Petr Cech was named man of the match in his pro ice hockey debutSource: Getty Images

Chelsea legend Petr Cech took up a familiar position in between the posts on Sunday afternoon - even saving a PENALTY and getting named man of the match on the way to a win.

But rather than facing shots on the green grass of a football pitch, the 37-year-old was having pucks fired at him on an ice rink.

The Blues’ sporting director made his debut for the Guilford Phoenix on Sunday - the reserves of British National League side Guilford Flames - and was the hero in a shootout win against the Swindon Wildcats.

Cech plays hero in debut

Cech plays hero in debut

0:24

The Phoenix had drawn 2-2 in normal time with neither finding a winner in overtime.

And the 6ft 5in Premier League and Champions League winner stood tall to be the hero for the Phoenix.

During the shootout, Cech made a save from the first attempt and saw two other shots miss his net as the Phoenix picked up an important win.

Ahead of his switch to the ice, Cech had said last week: “I am delighted to have the opportunity to play with the Phoenix to get the match experience.

“I hope I can help this young team achieve their goals for the season and try to win as many games as possible when I have the chance to play.

“After 20 years of professional football, this is going to be a wonderful experience for me to play the game I loved to watch and play as a kid.”

Cech makes a save for the Phoenix
Cech makes a save for the PhoenixSource: Getty Images

And although Cech started well, keeping the Swindon Wildcats at bay in the first period, the Champions League and Premier League winner conceded two goals in less than ten minutes as the Wildcats fought back.

Cech also had a special mask created for the game back in April - showing he’s clearly been planning this move for a while.

The helmet is an ode to Cech’s adopted home, London, featuring a Union Jack, Tower Bridge, Big Ben and the London Eye.

It also has the Chelsea badge on one side of the helmet and the Arsenal badge on the other.

On the chin strap is an homage to Cech’s ice hockey hero - the great Dominik Hasek, one of the NHL’s greatest players and a hero in the Czech Republic.

Hasek is also the reason Cech wears the No39 on the ice, it was his number.