• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
paulw66

Petr Cech retires

paulw66   

What more to say.......quite simply the greatest GK we have ever had, and IMO, in the top 3 PL Gks of all time. 

That night in Munich.......the save from Carrol's header in the FA Cup Final.

Top man, top pro, top GK.

Thank you. 

JaneB   

Yes thank you Petr Cech.  How we've missed you and that defence in front of you.

No praise high enough.  Absolute credit to the game and very brave to come back from that life threatening injury.

Your legendary status at Chelsea is forever.

Sir   

Not sure what to think? Well, I do.. he was/is a Chelsea legend.. cannot ever forget that 04/05 season in particular which was absolutely insane. When was his head injury? 07/08 season? Wasn’t ever ‘the same’ (understandable, possibly) after that but obviously still incredibly good. I imagine he broke a goalkeeping records? Or has Bonetti still got some, for example? Most clean sheets? Most goalkeeping appearances?

Ironic how we stuck with Thibaut given what he did, mind. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess, so we will never know but I do wonder how we would of done had we stayed with Cech (clean sheets, appearances, performances) - not sure when you can say he was declining, but I guess he did decline, just can’t rememeber if he did with us or not.

But I have to be honest, he left us and went to Arsenal.. it still leaves a sour taste irrespective of his reasons.

xCELERYx   

Quality keeper and professional. Glad we got his best years. 

Apparently the club have kept in contact with him since leaving and once he hangs up the gloves we'll be looking to bring him back in some capacity. 

paulw66   
9 hours ago, Sir said:

Not sure what to think? Well, I do.. he was/is a Chelsea legend.. cannot ever forget that 04/05 season in particular which was absolutely insane. When was his head injury? 07/08 season? Wasn’t ever ‘the same’ (understandable, possibly) after that but obviously still incredibly good. I imagine he broke a goalkeeping records? Or has Bonetti still got some, for example? Most clean sheets? Most goalkeeping appearances?

Ironic how we stuck with Thibaut given what he did, mind. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess, so we will never know but I do wonder how we would of done had we stayed with Cech (clean sheets, appearances, performances) - not sure when you can say he was declining, but I guess he did decline, just can’t rememeber if he did with us or not.

But I have to be honest, he left us and went to Arsenal.. it still leaves a sour taste irrespective of his reasons.

He certainly did decline, particularly coming for crosses. The decision to go with Courtois was the right one IMO.

I couldn't give a sh*t he went to Arsenal. After what he did for us, he had the right to do just about anything. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

He certainly did decline, particularly coming for crosses. The decision to go with Courtois was the right one IMO.

I couldn't give a sh*t he went to Arsenal. After what he did for us, he had the right to do just about anything. 

Agreed... especially with the second bit.

What a legendary player. More than being one of the greatest keepers of all time he oozes Chelsea, just like Terry,  he has that aura of belonging to Chelsea. Privilege to have seen him play. 

9 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

What a legendary player. More than being one of the greatest keepers of all time he oozes Chelsea, just like Terry,  he has that aura of belonging to Chelsea. Privilege to have seen him play. 

Great player.

There is a big international school near Cobham which caters for all ages, and a few players have kids there.  My impression was that his kids stayed there and he remained in Cobham when he went to Arsenal.  No wonder he is coming back.

Top keeper and top man.  Better than Poortuois will ever be.  Yes, he signed the London Reds, but that was our clubs fault than his.  The best CFC keeper since Peter Bonetti.  Thanks for the memories big man.

JaneB   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Great player.

There is a big international school near Cobham which caters for all ages, and a few players have kids there.  My impression was that his kids stayed there and he remained in Cobham when he went to Arsenal.  No wonder he is coming back.

Love our club. Can't wait to get rid of players when they get 'too old' and can't wait to welcome them back a few years later in myriad roles 🤔