• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
paulw66

Petr Cech retires

paulw66   
2 hours ago, blueandproud said:

Top keeper and top man.  Better than Poortuois will ever be.  Yes, he signed the London Reds, but that was our clubs fault than his.  The best CFC keeper since Peter Bonetti.  Thanks for the memories big man.

Best Chelsea keeper since the dawn of time

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Love our club. Can't wait to get rid of players when they get 'too old' and can't wait to welcome them back a few years later in myriad roles 🤔

As has been said before, better to get rid of a player a year early than a year too late. Great though he undoubtedly was, Petr was just about to reach the point where he declined. His best years were with us. The club had to go with the younger man as in theory he was the long-term future, and did the decent thing by not stopping Petr from joining a direct rival in order not to disrupt his family.

Edited by Bob Singleton

Sciatika   

Wish him well. If Big Pete's happy I'm happy.

chara   

Agree with everyone posting here.

Bonetti is my all time Chelsea hero but Big Pete  was the better keeper..and that is saying something.

The only thing I can add is that with all the debate about Courtois the Club did right by PC and at the time it was the right football decision BUT none of us could have foreseen that TC would let us down and not show even a fraction of the class and club loyalty( or ability!) that PC showed all his time here especially as Chelsea nursed TC through his early days and gave him every chance to be the successor to a Legend.

Thank you Petr it was an honour and great pleasure to watch you.

Personally , I can't wait until he comes back and we can open our arms and welcome him like the true hero and Chelsea legend he is .

Love Cech - but what is he going to do.
As far as I know we have Hilario, Cuducini, Lochillon and a GK coach that came with Sarri.  About 4 or 5 young GKs are off on loan, and if all of the 4 GK coaches were unavailable, I'm sure Robert Green or Caballero have enough experience to organise a training session or two.

Legend. Hero. Gent.

I had the pleasure of meeting Petr and I can honestly say he comes across as such a genuinely nice guy, incredibly humble and fiercely intelligent - he would be a huge asset back at this club and personally I'd see him as an ambassador or at board level as opposed to a Coach. Don't get me wrong with his experience and knowledge he'd make a great GK coach, but I think his brain and footballing brain can be better served elsewhere in the club.

Our greatest GK ever and for me at his peak, he's one of if not THE best PL GK of all time.

He's given me and us some incredible memories. Thank you Petr.

Leo91   

Obviously bias because we watched him week in week out. But he was right up their with Schmeichel. In fact thinking about it, you wouldn't swap Petr Cech for anyone in world football at the time even Buffon he was that good. This nonsense that he was never the same after his injury is bollocks. There was a transition period as there's going to be when you've had head surgery. Can't remember specifically what season it was, but around 2010-2012 he was just as good as he was in his younger days. I'll never forget those saves vs Andy Carroll and Javier Hernandez in the FA Cup. Phenomenal. More than a player, a leading figure of the best Chelsea team ever.

• Like 1