• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Tottenham Hotspur 1 (4-2 penalties)

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

Even though I was advocating he start for a while now, Emerson made a big difference.

He made runs on the outside and broke Spur’s defensive line, whereas Alonso would have played a 5 yard pass with the outside of his boot to Hazard, and ran into the box.

The other thing Emerson’s crossing did was win us at least 2 or 3 corners. He has to get a run in the team 

Apparently Sarri prefers Alonso because of his height defending set pieces. Current squad is not exactly blessed with height and physical presence. 

So maybe starting Giroud and Barkley convinced Sarri to also take a risk with Emerson.

At least Sarri got a look at what Emerson offers going forward. Thought he was quite impressive. 

Holymoly   

In a game of two Moes it's questionable which one came out on top. For all our evident superiority over the two legs we scraped over the line by the skin of our teeth. Having been put to the sword in the first half last night Spud's manager changed things up by going three at the back and immediately started causing us problems because Sarri didn't vary his approach at all. A more inventive manager might have enabled us to win by a more definitive margin as it is you go away from SB last night with the thought that we won in spite of Sarri, not because of him. Conversely Spuds almost pulled it off because of their manager. I hope the arrival of Higuain allows us to be more clinical in front of goal for the remainder of the season because a solid squad such as ours really should have no problem securing top four compared with the flakiness of the north London grusome twosome.

6 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

In a game of two Moes it's questionable which one came out on top. For all our evident superiority over the two legs we scraped over the line by the skin of our teeth. Having been put to the sword in the first half last night Spud's manager changed things up by going three at the back and immediately started causing us problems because Sarri didn't vary his approach at all. A more inventive manager might have enabled us to win by a more definitive margin as it is you go away from SB last night with the thought that we won in spite of Sarri, not because of him. Conversely Spuds almost pulled it off because of their manager. I hope the arrival of Higuain allows us to be more clinical in front of goal for the remainder of the season because a solid squad such as ours really should have no problem securing top four compared with the flakiness of the north London grusome twosome.

I can see your point but if Giroud could finish and if Atkinson could do his job then we win that 4-1 or more 

johnboy   
18 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I agree, great to get the win, a much more committed performance with a higher tempo using a couple of different players which was nice to see. 

The question still remains as to whether Sarri can change a game when things are not panning out the way other managers can. I have yet to see it. It still seems like for like subs without changing the system. 

However I will take last night’s performance & outcome gladly but in the back of my mind I am torn between the thoughts that the spuds were without key players & the opposite in that you beat what is in front of you.

My last thought was that I would have liked to see CHO on the pitch.

26 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Someone will have to remind me of all these problems they caused us. Obviously they  scored but other than that all I remember is a couple of long balls from their keeper, one straight to Lucas, the other to Ericksen who put in an absolutely outrageous ball to Llorente. 

Other than that I can't remember Kepa making a save. Sarri didn't need to vary his approach , we completely and utterly dominated them over two games. How some are still finding ways to have a pop at him after the two legs is astounding.

The bottlers strike again.

Still they won the "we got to the semis of the league cup" trophy, to go alongside their 4 "put the pressure on" trophies, and the "we finished above Arsenal", "we beat Madrid in the group stage" and "we beat Chelsea 3-1" cups.

• Like 2

paulw66   
10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Atkinson was atrocious.  Really atrocious.  I sometimes wonder if the only thing Joe Cole adds to the commentary team is a feeble unwillingness to stand up for the club.  How did he not comment on reffing.

My theory on the enormous Ref and TV bias today was it was plain standard levels of anti-Chelsea bias (20%) plus ever growing bizarre levels of pro-Spurs bias (80%)

Atrocious is one word. Corrupt or bent is another. 

By half time, Spurs had committed 9 fouls, with no yellows. I messaged on a WhatsApp chat with some fellow fans that we were guaranteed to get the first yellow.......I never imagined we would get the first 3. 

They ended up with 16 fouls for 1 yellow, ignoring the 2 fouls that weren't given on Hazard at the end of the first half* and Emerson near the end of the second. 16 fouls and 1 yellow - how is that even possible in the modern game?

Lamela elbowed Azpi in the face - no card at all! Imagine if that had been Costa? How is throwing an elbow in someone's face not a red card? 

*back to the foul on Hazard....... first of all, for the ref to get it wrong is plain imcompetence. The tackle was from behind, and there is no way he conceivably could have played the ball first. Shocking. Secondly, with VAR.........what were they able to do from this point (serious question, I don't know the answer) as the foul was outside the box, so no penalty, and probably wasn't a red as they were other defenders. Am I right to presume that they actually had no power to do anything as it was neither a penalty nor a red? I don't think VAR can simply overturn fouls / non fouls in open play. 

48 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Atrocious is one word. Corrupt or bent is another. 

By half time, Spurs had committed 9 fouls, with no yellows. I messaged on a WhatsApp chat with some fellow fans that we were guaranteed to get the first yellow.......I never imagined we would get the first 3. 

They ended up with 16 fouls for 1 yellow, ignoring the 2 fouls that weren't given on Hazard at the end of the first half* and Emerson near the end of the second. 16 fouls and 1 yellow - how is that even possible in the modern game?

Lamela elbowed Azpi in the face - no card at all! Imagine if that had been Costa? How is throwing an elbow in someone's face not a red card? 

*back to the foul on Hazard....... first of all, for the ref to get it wrong is plain imcompetence. The tackle was from behind, and there is no way he conceivably could have played the ball first. Shocking. Secondly, with VAR.........what were they able to do from this point (serious question, I don't know the answer) as the foul was outside the box, so no penalty, and probably wasn't a red as they were other defenders. Am I right to presume that they actually had no power to do anything as it was neither a penalty nor a red? I don't think VAR can simply overturn fouls / non fouls in open play. 

There is no possible way Atkinson could have known beyond doubt that the tackle from behind was a good one , he should have gone to VAR to assist him , that he chose not to was beyond arrogant or certainty it was "game management" a style of refereeing brought in at the behest of Mavis Riley , the ref who made Petr Cech crawl off the pitch with a fractured skull and booked him for his trouble , he's the head of the PGMOL and he's had it in for us ever since he was taken to task over it at our behest ,like the petty coward he was as a ref.

We are regularly shafted in any which way they can by the officials , not blowing up for fouls on our players , not booking the opposition for things we get booked for , not giving us legitimate penalties , spurious , you win some lose some offsides where we always lose , the list is endless .

Our football club was given a massive fine for not controlling our players in a game the referee then admitted he'd not applied the laws of the game justly and fairly in.

Last night was almost up there with Overbro and Frisk for rank incompetence / cheating .

Var is going to be used against us , every chance they get and every time they screw us over , Martin Tyler will be there reasoning it away .

It's a scandal and someone at the club should say and do something about it , the only one who ever had the cojones to try was Mourinho . 

The mantra seems to be in the media that we are deserving of every unfair thing that ever happens to us , we have no allies anywhere.

What a night and what (for the most part) a performance! Sarri wanted a response and he got one, so maybe his rant wasn't so ill advised as many of us thought. Key points I noticed from last night:

- Emerson deserves a go in the PL. He played well last night and offers a real threat down the left and gives us so much more balance.
- Hazard, unsurprisingly, is so much more efficient in his natural position.
- Kante isn't human. That's one of the best games he's played in his new role and if it continues, the team will benefit hugely.
- LCM is a big problem for us. Barkley didn't do badly, he just didn't do that well either. For me I'd play RLC there, but fitness concerns means he may not be able to nail it down long term. We need to sign someone for this position in the summer.
- Jorginho did well last night. He showed what he's capable of and I was impressed.
- We wanted leaders, Luiz and Azpi led last night, Luiz was on it!
- That's one of the worst refereeing displays I've seen. The amount Spurs were allowed to get away with and then our first couple of fouls all produced a yellow. 
- What's the point of VAR? The foul on Hazard from behind by Alderweireld is a foul and red card for me, how has VAR reviewed that and not pulled it back?!

Great night, 15th final in 16 years... what a club. Bring on City!

• Like 1