• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester City 6 Chelsea 0

4 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Zizou ain't touching this club with a barge pole. I honestly cannot name a realistic appointment. Maybe Deschamps ? You're scraping the barrel. 

We need a short term appointment like Solksjaer at Man United. Not because we can get into the top four, as that’s realistically gone now. Just someone to get us through to the Summer, give us a go at the Europa League, restore the players confidence, give us some organisation and make us look like a professional football team.

Sarri’s incompetence is dragging the club through the mud and destroying the credibility of the players and the club. There is no way back for him after recent results. He is way out of his depth to a degree I never imagined. It’s shocking to see what he’s done to this club. 

I’d be amazed if the Board aren’t looking at a temporary replacement. This has nothing to do with player power or players downing tools. It’s just sheer managerial ineptitude. Sarri has said that he doesn’t know how to change things, he can’t get the best out of the players, and his methods aren’t working. Enough is enough. If the Board don’t act now then things will only get worse. 

xCELERYx   

Yo, Sarri. Might be worth scribbling this down in your note book next time (if there is a next time). 

Antonio Conte - "If you give City space behind us the game can finish not 1-0. I’m not so stupid to play against Man City open and lose 3-0 or 4-0."

33 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Yo, Sarri. Might be worth scribbling this down in your note book next time (if there is a next time). 

So, you'd have Conte back then? I believe that he's still employed by Chelsea, as it happens, and still lives in London (although my info is a bit old now).

xCELERYx   
3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

So, you'd have Conte back then? I believe that he's still employed by Chelsea, as it happens, and still lives in London (although my info is a bit old now).

Most definitely, wouldn't think twice. First and foremost he's an extremely good manger. He made it well known after winning the league that we needed to shift a lot of the players out of the club if we were serious about improving. He'd been through similar before when he took over Juventus who had finished 7th the season prior and lead them to the title the following year. The reason Juventus continued that momentum was because Conte (and Juve's board) didn't rest on that success and made an effort to bring in greater quality - both skill wise and most importantly mentality wise. In the end Juventus managed to live off Conte's work and the foundations he built for years to come under Allegri.

During Conte's time here he identified areas that needed serious investment - predomently the spine of the side (CB, CM and CF). I know that quite a few here mocked Conte for wanting another defender at the time when we were chasing van Dijk, low and beyond he'd probably be one of the first names on the team sheet right now. He knew where our issues lied and the types of players we needed - not necessarily just from a skill perspective but also from a mentality stand point. You look back at a lot of the players he wanted and most of them all hold similar qualities from a mental and ethic stand point - tough, hard working and grittier players; Nainggolan, van Dijk, Candreva, Alex Sandro, Llorente, Bonucci, etc. That's an area where we're seriously devoid of toughness in. No one wants to roll their sleeves up when it's time to dig in and that's only gotten worse under a manager who is all about the tippy tappy stuff that's easily bullied once the game gets more physical or scrappy. Conte knew the limitations of his squad and tried to play within that as best as he possibly could. This meant that our football at times wasn't great to watch (at least in the second half of last season), that was the sacrifice that needed to be made though to give us the best chance of results. Point in case with his time as Italy manager. Didn't have the most talented side, but they were a well drilled unit that fought and displayed a mental toughness. 

There's no doubt Conte had his faults, all managers do. His substitutions at times weren't always the greatest and he didn't always make the right decisions, but he never shied away from his responsibility to improve himself and work harder. Which, if you were lucky enough to watch him as a player, typifies him to a tee and why he captained Juventus for so many years.  

Unfortunately, I can't see him ever returning with how the club treated him towards the end of his tenure. Which is a shame because he's probably one of the best options out there if we're serious about rebuilding a team that has that winners mentality again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Michael can you stop me seeing this person's posts?he is clueless in the extreme! thanks in advance.

Kev, as you don’t add any value whatsoever why do you even bother replying? No arguments, only attacking the person. Hope you manage to find the block function between your drunken rants. 

28 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Most definitely, wouldn't think twice. First and foremost he's an extremely good manger. He made it well known after winning the league that we needed to shift a lot of the players out of the club if we were serious about improving. He'd been through similar before when he took over Juventus who had finished 7th the season prior and lead them to the title the following year. The reason Juventus continued that momentum was because Conte (and Juve's board) didn't rest on that success and made an effort to bring in greater quality - both skill wise and most importantly mentality wise. In the end Juventus managed to live off Conte's work and the foundations he built for years to come under Allegri.

During Conte's time here he identified areas that needed serious investment - predomently the spine of the side (CB, CM and CF). I know that quite a few here mocked Conte for wanting another defender at the time when we were chasing van Dijk, low and beyond he'd probably be one of the first names on the team sheet right now. He knew where our issues lied and the types of players we needed - not necessarily just from a skill perspective but also from a mentality stand point. You look back at a lot of the players he wanted and most of them all hold similar qualities from a mental and ethic stand point - tough, hard working and grittier players; Nainggolan, van Dijk, Candreva, Alex Sandro, Llorente, Bonucci, etc. That's an area where we're seriously devoid of toughness in. No one wants to roll their sleeves up when it's time to dig in and that's only gotten worse under a manager who is all about the tippy tappy stuff that's easily bullied once the game gets more physical or scrappy. Conte knew the limitations of his squad and tried to play within that as best as he possibly could. This meant that our football at times wasn't great to watch (at least in the second half of last season), that was the sacrifice that needed to be made though to give us the best chance of results. Point in case with his time as Italy manager. Didn't have the most talented side, but they were a well drilled unit that fought and displayed a mental toughness. 

There's no doubt Conte had his faults, all managers do. His substitutions at times weren't always the greatest and he didn't always make the right decisions, but he never shied away from his responsibility to improve himself and work harder. Which, if you were lucky enough to watch him as a player, typifies him to a tee and why he captained Juventus for so many years.  

Unfortunately, I can't see him ever returning with how the club treated him towards the end of his tenure. Which is a shame because he's probably one of the best options out there if we're serious about rebuilding a team that has that winners mentality again. 

Spent £360m on new players in two seasons, oversaw almost a full substitution of the squad (something like 3/4), openly taunted the club to sack him halfway through his second season and lost 10 league games after spending all that money. 70 league points after he was given a new squad. 

I’d say his rebuilding set us back a few seasons. 

Yesterday was bad, my first away game for a while, so it was really bad. Didn't think it could get any worse then I come on here this morning and see people discussing Conte coming back. Sarri probably needs to go but to even think about bringing back a man as toxic as Conte is mind boggling. He's the main reason we are in this mess. That man comes anywhere near my football club again and I will give my season ticket to any one that wants it, for free.

Vinod   
25 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Spent £360m on new players in two seasons, oversaw almost a full substitution of the squad (something like 3/4), openly taunted the club to sack him halfway through his second season and lost 10 league games after spending all that money. 70 league points after he was given a new squad. 

Except for the fact that he lost a lot of good players and most of the purchases were made by the board. You can hardly fault Conte for purchases like Barkley, Emerson, Zappacosta, etc. He wanted Lukaku, he was given Morata. Most of that money was spent on replacements rather than upgrades. I'm not the biggest fan of how Conte managed the second half of last season and how he managed the Diego Costa situation; but you can hardly say he had a great squad to work with. He won the league with a sub optimal squad and the board knocked down a few bricks instead of building on the title. 

Truth is board has been constantly making life of a title winning manager harder. 

10 minutes ago, Vinod said:

Truth is board has been constantly making life of a title winning manager harder. 

I said the same when Mourinho was here , the "board" seem to think coaching a football club is the easy bit of running a football club.

It's not .

xCELERYx   
43 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

2016/17
In: €132m 
Out: €108m 
Net spend: €24m

Players arrived: Batshuayi, Kante, Luiz, Alonso and Eduardo.

2017/18
In: €260m
Out: €200m
Net spend: €60m

Players arrived: Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater (injured), Rudiger, Zappacosta, Emerson (injured), Giroud (injured), Barkley (injured), Ampadu, Caballero.

Total net spend combined: €84m or around £73.5m if converted using current exchange rate. Essentially, following the clubs sell before buying policy.

If you genuinely think Conte sat down and individually selected the bulk of these players than there's really no point taking this discussion any further. Quiet clearly the majority of these signings are board based ones. Most don't fit the profile of player Conte would sign or could utilise according in his system. When you look at the players Conte wanted to what he got, it's chalk and cheese.