• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester City 6 Chelsea 0

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

2016/17
In: €132m 
Out: €108m 
Net spend: €24m

Players arrived: Batshuayi, Kante, Luiz, Alonso and Eduardo.

2017/18
In: €260m
Out: €200m
Net spend: €60m

Players arrived: Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater (injured), Rudiger, Zappacosta, Emerson (injured), Giroud (injured), Barkley (injured), Ampadu, Caballero.

Total net spend combined: €84m or around £73.5m if converted using current exchange rate. Essentially, following the clubs sell before buying policy.

If you genuinely think Conte sat down and individually selected the bulk of these players than there's really no point taking this discussion any further. Quiet clearly the majority of these signings are board based ones. Most don't fit the profile of player Conte would sign or could utilise according in his system. When you look at the players Conte wanted to what he got, it's chalk and cheese. 

I agree wholeheartedly and am just waiting for the inevitable "but they're all Italian" to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

I agree wholeheartedly and am just waiting for the inevitable "but they're all Italian" to follow.

I'm sure you won't need to wait long. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   
4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I agree wholeheartedly and am just waiting for the inevitable "but they're all Italian" to follow.

I don't think it's the nationality but rather the inability to speak fluent English. In these days of the squad being a mish mash of cultures I would imagine that English is the most likely common language within the squad. However, when that is at best your second preferred language if you have someone talking to you in a stilted manner it must be difficult to follow and understand and as such the squad finds it difficult to draw together. It's not the same listening to your manager and coaches via an interpreter, you miss the nuance. In other countries such as Spain, Italy or Germany the clubs there will still have a predominance of home grown players and the issue becomes less of a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

2016/17
In: €132m 
Out: €108m 
Net spend: €24m

Players arrived: Batshuayi, Kante, Luiz, Alonso and Eduardo.

2017/18
In: €260m
Out: €200m
Net spend: €60m

Players arrived: Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater (injured), Rudiger, Zappacosta, Emerson (injured), Giroud (injured), Barkley (injured), Ampadu, Caballero.

Total net spend combined: €84m or around £73.5m if converted using current exchange rate. Essentially, following the clubs sell before buying policy.

If you genuinely think Conte sat down and individually selected the bulk of these players than there's really no point taking this discussion any further. Quiet clearly the majority of these signings are board based ones. Most don't fit the profile of player Conte would sign or could utilise according in his system. When you look at the players Conte wanted to what he got, it's chalk and cheese. 

No idea where you get those figures from. Transfer league has the net spend down to £80m his second season and and roughly £50m in his first. Besides, the players that left isn’t really players Conte wanted to keep. No idea why bet spend is important, what’s important is that he got new players for £240m. I’d get the point of the club had sold players against his wishes but that really didn’t happen. 

No I don’t think Conte alone picked all players. But if you think he had nothing to do with them being bought you’re dreaming. 

Still. 10 losses and 70 points after changing nearly the whole squad isn’t great rebuilding imo. That’s pretty rubbish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
26 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

No idea where you get those figures from. Transfer league has the net spend down to £80m his second season and and roughly £50m in his first. Besides, the players that left isn’t really players Conte wanted to keep. No idea why bet spend is important, what’s important is that he got new players for £240m. I’d get the point of the club had sold players against his wishes but that really didn’t happen. 

No I don’t think Conte alone picked all players. But if you think he had nothing to do with them being bought you’re dreaming. 

Still. 10 losses and 70 points after changing nearly the whole squad isn’t great rebuilding imo. That’s pretty rubbish. 

Figures taken from Transfermarkt, these also include loan fee's etc. 

Net spend is incredibly important because it's the money the club is willing to pay out of their own pocket. Whole figures creates an inaccurate view of the actual spending money a manager has had because generally it's come at the cost of selling off other players to help fund subsequent deals. 

Conte probably had a say in a handful of those signings at most - albeit they'd had been second, third, fourth or even fifth choice options. Not the players he truly wanted initially. Not that it was something I disregarded, but the bulk of those signings reek of being aimless club based purchases.

He rebuilt a Juventus side that had finish 7th in two of it's previous three seasons. Winning three consecutive Serie A titles, while progressively getting better. Then seeing the foundations of the side he did build continue to be a vital component in continued success under new management for subsequent years to come suggests otherwise. Conte didn't get a true chance to rebuild Chelsea because he was never afforded the players or backing he truely needed or desired. He just won a title the season prior and was then handed bit part players to kick on with. Despite all that, he still managed to have us top at Christmas before the wheels eventually fell off - after he was given the January reinforcements of an injured Barkley, Emerson and Giroud to finish out the season with. Even with all this having happened and effectively being asked to push **** up a hill, we missed out on 4th place by two games and won the FA Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Some say play Kante at DM (which is novel, I admit).  But nobody explains that means playing Jorgy further forward, or playing both Kovacic AND Barkley.

But who said Jorginho must play? He is an average player with limited abilities who would not look out of place in a Championship team. 

Team selection, formation, and position of players - only the tip of the iceberg in Sarri's incompetence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Figures taken from Transfermarkt, these also include loan fee's etc. 

Net spend is incredibly important because it's the money the club is willing to pay out of their own pocket. Whole figures creates an inaccurate view of the actual spending money a manager has had because generally it's come at the cost of selling off other players to help fund subsequent deals. 

Conte probably had a say in a handful of those signings at most - albeit they'd had been second, third, fourth or even fifth choice options. Not the players he truly wanted initially. Not that it was something I disregarded, but the bulk of those signings reek of being aimless club based purchases.

He rebuilt a Juventus side that had finish 7th in two of it's previous three seasons. Winning three consecutive Serie A titles, while progressively getting better. Then seeing the foundations of the side he did build continue to be a vital component in continued success under new management for subsequent years to come suggests otherwise. Conte didn't get a true chance to rebuild Chelsea because he was never afforded the players or backing he truely needed or desired. He just won a title the season prior and was then handed bit part players to kick on with. Despite all that, he still managed to have us top at Christmas before the wheels eventually fell off - after he was given the January reinforcements of an injured Barkley, Emerson and Giroud to finish out the season with. Even with all this having happened and effectively being asked to push **** up a hill, we missed out on 4th place by two games and won the FA Cup. 

Net spend is important if it impairs the manager of options he’d like to use. 

Loan fees? Selling off players that never had a chance of playing? How is that something that should work in his favour? If he had used those players I’d have understood your point - now it sounds like bad excuses. He got new players for £240m. That players he never intended to use generated income is hardly something that impaired him - quite the opposite, it probably generated one or two extra players for his first team squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try to dismiss the thoughts of what Conte spent and who bought who. Go to basic morals - for his own personal reasons he didn't do his very best - see Conte the previous season and compare. 

Simply for those reasons he'd not do for me again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   

When we last played City and stopped their title run at SB winning 2-0 one article on footy 365 asked whether we won using Sarri's methods or whether the players played their own game as they willingly gave up possession. Since then Sarri has frequently criticised the courage of the players and we have conceded 10 in two away matches. 

I find it unforgivable that he is not willing to change his game plan against superior opponents.  City are superior opponents they have a much stronger squad and play the open football much slicker than us and it showed. 6-0 might have flattered us. Though also think we might have scored twice.

Not sure where we go from here as this will affect the mentality of the players.

A couple more heavy defeats this month and I think his position will be untenable.

The board have some responsibility here and it might have fallen on the technical director if we had one, who might have said when Sarri's name was floated, 'forget it unless you are going to change the whole squad overnight,'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dingus   

This whole sudden love in for Conte I'm seeing is the most ridiculous thing in a long time.

When are we just going to admit that these players just aren't very good instead of piling the blame on Sarri? Every time I see Alonso move away from Bernardo it makes my blood boil.

So we sack him, then what? We'll still have the same crap players and it's back to square one again.

We lost bad yesterday, no denying that but sacking Sarri isn't the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.