• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester City 6 Chelsea 0

14 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

If (when) Sarri goes, I think we only really have two choices:

A big beast - Zidane for example - with the trophy record to attract quality and buy credibility with our squad.

A club legend - Frank for example - who has won it all and could also deal on equal terms with top players.

The added benefit of Frank is that the crowd might give him a bit more time if it went a bit up and down early on.

My head says big beast, my heart says Frank (JT less so). Could they work together?

Can they work together probably not . Frank picked Morris for a reason

No idea what JT does at Villa but look at the goal conceded and would to be hard to surmise he is an positive effect on the defence, with you would have thought would be a strong point. Early days in his managerial career thou.

johnboy   

If someone does replace Sarri & whoever that may be don’t underestimate the importance of a good number 2 or coach as it was known as when the manager was no1. Chelsea have plenty of examples of a good no2, I’m thinking of Ray Wilkins with Ancellotti, Steve Clark, Steve Holland etc. Look at Man U where OGS is getting the plaudits but Phelan is bringing the experience to the table. A good no2 (no puns please), however doesn’t necessarily make a good no1.

JM’s problems grew when he lost LF at United, even Alex Ferguson relied on a good back up coach.

I believe (& it pains me to say it) that Sarri’s inflexibility is compounded by not having a good, strong no2(still no pun intended). 

So while everyone is concentrating on if Sarri goes who replaces him, it is well worth remembering that a good man manager is essential in today’s game & good tactical nous is a given. So pick a team to take Chelsea in another direction if that is the answer (IMO, it is) not just a big name front man.

45 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

An inversion of a famous song lyric there.....name it Mr Kelly.....

I may not be Mr Kelly, but a true Dylanogist, that hit the spot immediately. My back pages?

40 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well this is awkward. We actually have something in common here. My childhood was in a non- league town, Weymouth, and while I followed them and still do, my chosen “big team” was Wolves.I’ve followed them ever since which has been a rough ride quite often, but they’re in a very good position now.

(For the record, as I've said on here before), I moved to London to live and work in 1968 and decided then that I needed a London club to follow. It became Chelsea right away, largely because I really liked Doherty and I’ve remained a supporter ever since).-

Meanwhile, back to Wolves......they have excellent Chinese owners who, like all serious Asian businessmen, take a genuinely long-term view and for whom the investment in Wolves is a comparatively minor one. They have the services of Jorge Mendes as a consultant advising them and who's first client was yer man Nuno.

They already have some very good players, none of whom are old and clearly they can buy more when whenever they feel like it. On top of that, Wolves also have a very good academy which is already providing players to the first team squad. This is a really well run club, on and off the field and I think they have an outstanding chance of becoming a top 4 club within 5 years certainly, nee possibly 3.

So I really don't think Chelsea have any chance of acquiring Nuno, (who's not perfect by the way). He and his agent are far too shrewd.

By the way, I go back a long way before Bully...Ingo back to the real team, although I was very young then, I'm older than that now.

An inversion of a famous song lyric there.....name it Mr Kelly.....

I always liked the grittiness of Wolves. They are a club for men if you catch my drift - they don’t ponce around and as you say are extremely well-run, Plus, they play in orange but insist it’s gold and their fans are brilliant. 

I’ve gone to see a few of their games and their fans were disappointed to hear I was Chelsea but mightily impressed when I started “Steve Bull’s a tatter” in the local pub! One of my best mates is a Wolves fan so I’ve been to a few games with him. Went to Cardiff when they were promoted against Sheffield United in 2003. Brilliant day out! 

Back to Nuno - I really like him and I like his manners even more. Intellligent, eloquent but still with that menacing aura. You don’t want to get on the wrong end of him! 

26 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

At last we agree on something. Nuno would be my number one choice. If we had to wait till summer we could fill the gap with a caretaker

And then this. My god what’s going on? I agree or find common ground with both Pete and Rod within an hour. What are the chances of that!?! 😉

14 minutes ago, blue moon said:

I may not be Mr Kelly, but a true Dylanogist, that hit the spot immediately. My back pages?

Spot on Blue. You’re a man of culture and no mistake!

19 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

If (when) Sarri goes, I think we only really have two choices:

A big beast - Zidane for example - with the trophy record to attract quality and buy credibility with our squad.

A club legend - Frank for example - who has won it all and could also deal on equal terms with top players.

The added benefit of Frank is that the crowd might give him a bit more time if it went a bit up and down early on.

My head says big beast, my heart says Frank (JT less so). Could they work together?

I honestly think it will be neither.

If the stories are true, when we approached Pep he said almost a dozen players would need to be ditched (he wasn't wrong either! I dare say some have already gone... only to be replaced with worse). We do have a lot of players either coming to the end of their contracts or over 30 or both. We also have a lot of very average players. We've needed a proper rebuild for a long time, but all we've done is swap average players for average players for the last three to five years, with a few exceptions, and let some talented players leave without replacing them. We have four 'wide' attacking players... Hazard, Willian, Pedro and Hudson-Odoi. Two are over thirty. All four have contracts that end within the next 18 months, so by Summer 2020 all could be gone, and in a worse-case scenario, all could be gone for nothing! Look elsewhere and we have problems all over the pitch of players in their 30s not really worth a starting place, yet starting because they're the best we've got. Whoever the manager is in the summer, a lot of work needs doing. A top manager will look at our current squad, their ages and contract situations, their abilities and will want possibly £200m net to spend. We spent fairly big this summer on a young keeper (I'm hoping he's just having a few 'teething' problems like de Gea did when he first arrived at United) and a central midfielder... will we spend even bigger next summer? We need to, but I doubt we will. Therefore, I can't see a 'big beast' being attracted. Too much rebuilding work required with a club not currently set up to undertake a rebuild sensibly.

Nor can I see a 'club legend' taking the reins. Lampard has only half a season's experience at the moment, and I imagine he'll want to stick with Derby a while longer. Zola has more experience... and what he achieved should warn us away from appointing him. I'm not sure he's even a very good No 2. Club ambassador role... great. Coaching... not so sure. So who does that leave? Well, no-one really.

If Sarri leaves, we'll be appointing another manager with a 'vision' of playing quick, possession based attacking football with a track record that suggests possible success in the future, but the club will 'rebuild' the squad in the same higgledy-piggledy way they've bought players of late. The odd player the new boss really wants, a few cheap buys that we might sell at a profit (fingers crossed) and a whole load of 3rd/4th choices that tick some of the boxes but on FM their attributes are in the 9/20 to 11/20 range instead of the 15 or higher range we require.

There needs to be a sea-change at the top before we can think of a genuine rebuild.

16 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I always liked the grittiness of Wolves. They are a club for men if you catch my drift - they don’t ponce around and as you say are extremely well-run, Plus, they play in orange but insist it’s gold and their fans are brilliant. 

I’ve gone to see a few of their games and their fans were disappointed to hear I was Chelsea but mightily impressed when I started “Steve Bull’s a tatter” in the local pub! One of my best mates is a Wolves fan so I’ve been to a few games with him. Went to Cardiff when they were promoted against Sheffield United in 2003. Brilliant day out! 

Back to Nuno - I really like him and I like his manners even more. Intellligent, eloquent but still with that menacing aura. You don’t want to get on the wrong end of him! 

And then this. My god what’s going on? I agree or find common ground with both Pete and Rod within an hour. What are the chances of that!?! 😉

Well yes, Rod and I in agreement with you in an hour is a mighty turn on the axis for sure! That's the power of the Wolves thou knows......c'mon me babbies........God what's happening to me?

I have to say that knowing Stevie Bull's a tatter is impressive. Those baggies just love that song. And how sweet it was to beat Warnock's clogging Cardiff down there last year! Wonderful.

^^^ I was always a big Derek Dougan fan in my younger years.

11 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I honestly think it will be neither.

If the stories are true, when we approached Pep he said almost a dozen players would need to be ditched (he wasn't wrong either! I dare say some have already gone... only to be replaced with worse). We do have a lot of players either coming to the end of their contracts or over 30 or both. We also have a lot of very average players. We've needed a proper rebuild for a long time, but all we've done is swap average players for average players for the last three to five years, with a few exceptions, and let some talented players leave without replacing them. We have four 'wide' attacking players... Hazard, Willian, Pedro and Hudson-Odoi. Two are over thirty. All four have contracts that end within the next 18 months, so by Summer 2020 all could be gone, and in a worse-case scenario, all could be gone for nothing! Look elsewhere and we have problems all over the pitch of players in their 30s not really worth a starting place, yet starting because they're the best we've got. Whoever the manager is in the summer, a lot of work needs doing. A top manager will look at our current squad, their ages and contract situations, their abilities and will want possibly £200m net to spend. We spent fairly big this summer on a young keeper (I'm hoping he's just having a few 'teething' problems like de Gea did when he first arrived at United) and a central midfielder... will we spend even bigger next summer? We need to, but I doubt we will. Therefore, I can't see a 'big beast' being attracted. Too much rebuilding work required with a club not currently set up to undertake a rebuild sensibly.

Nor can I see a 'club legend' taking the reins. Lampard has only half a season's experience at the moment, and I imagine he'll want to stick with Derby a while longer. Zola has more experience... and what he achieved should warn us away from appointing him. I'm not sure he's even a very good No 2. Club ambassador role... great. Coaching... not so sure. So who does that leave? Well, no-one really.

If Sarri leaves, we'll be appointing another manager with a 'vision' of playing quick, possession based attacking football with a track record that suggests possible success in the future, but the club will 'rebuild' the squad in the same higgledy-piggledy way they've bought players of late. The odd player the new boss really wants, a few cheap buys that we might sell at a profit (fingers crossed) and a whole load of 3rd/4th choices that tick some of the boxes but on FM their attributes are in the 9/20 to 11/20 range instead of the 15 or higher range we require.

There needs to be a sea-change at the top before we can think of a genuine rebuild.

Very good summary Bob. Thanks

jones   

PL competition has never been higher and our financial position has not been weaker since pre Roman. Our only competitive adventage is the academy, and if we want any sort of long term success we need to make use of it. Not only promote a couple of them to squad player roles, but use it as our main recruitment channel. It will build a club culture that we can rely on and bounce back from when times are tough. That is the essence of things. That is what won us titles 2005-15. Terry, Lampard, Cech, Drogba, Cole. They were our culture. They were our sustianed success. Any chance of reaching the highs of that decade simply demands a cultural change.  And making use of our world class academy simply is the main tool for that. Therefore, I can’t see many better options than Lampard and Morris.