• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester City 6 Chelsea 0

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

^^^ I was always a big Derek Dougan fan in my younger years.

You know what. I once, completely by accident, ended up having dinner withSir Jack Hayward and his elegant lady friend in a lovely Shropshire village pub and I remember saying to him how, if you ever told someone you were an old Wolves fan they’d always say:

”Oh Wolves? Yes, they used to be a really good team, you know.....Derek Dougan!

And I would reply, ”No!! That's not the team. That was quite a good team, but not the real team”!

And Sir Jack laughed heartily and agreed totally.

He was a great dinner companion with no pretensions at all. I walked out of the pub thinking, “well the team’s still crap, but at least the owner is a thoroughly decent bloke.”

3 minutes ago, jones said:

PL competition has never been higher and our financial position has not been weaker since pre Roman. Our only competitive adventage is the academy, and if we want any sort of long term success we need to make use of it. Not only promote a couple of them to squad player roles, but use it as our main recruitment channel. It will build a club culture that we can rely on and bounce back from when times are tough. That is the essence of things. That is what won us titles 2005-15. Terry, Lampard, Cech, Drogba, Cole. They were our culture. They were our sustianed success. Any chance of reaching the highs of that decade simply demands a cultural change.  And making use of our world class academy simply is the main tool for that. Therefore, I can’t see many better options than Lampard and Morris.

Agree completely about really using the academy Jones. That’s another thing about Nuno, he’s not afraid to give the kids a start in the PL or the Cup.

BlueFizz   
11 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Very good summary Bob. Thanks

Agreed. Bob done good and I accept his thinking about my original post.

I’m not sure we’ll see the top-level change he wants, unless Roman has a buyer who’s richer than City’s.

7 minutes ago, jones said:

PL competition has never been higher and our financial position has not been weaker since pre Roman. Our only competitive adventage is the academy, and if we want any sort of long term success we need to make use of it. Not only promote a couple of them to squad player roles, but use it as our main recruitment channel. It will build a club culture that we can rely on and bounce back from when times are tough. That is the essence of things. That is what won us titles 2005-15. Terry, Lampard, Cech, Drogba, Cole. They were our culture. They were our sustianed success. Any chance of reaching the highs of that decade simply demands a cultural change.  And making use of our world class academy simply is the main tool for that. Therefore, I can’t see many better options than Lampard and Morris.

It's very true what you say about the academy, and then curious that the club has appointed three managers with little or no track record of integrating young players. The club really doesn't have a vision of what it wants the first team to be, or an idea of how to join-up the disparate parts of the club.

Integrating youngsters brings the advantage you mention of a club culture, as at the moment we don't have a core. It also saves you money, so you don't have to spend big on squad players whilst hoping that some of your academy players develop into first XI players, not just back-ups.

Sarri comes with the right idea of playing technical, possession-based football but his refusal to look outside his favoured 14/15 players will destroy this squad. A big clear out is on the cards, but I don't see him changing his path and making use of youngsters - he'll be looking for experienced players that fit his style and will likely be frustrated by the club's recruitment policy. He won't get everything he wants and will continue to use a small group only. So next season could end up being a repeat of Conte's second season, although after finishing in the top 6 not winning the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well this is awkward. We actually have something in common here. My childhood was in a non- league town, Weymouth, and while I followed them and still do, my chosen “big team” was Wolves.I’ve followed them ever since which has been a rough ride quite often, but they’re in a very good position now.

(For the record, as I've said on here before), I moved to London to live and work in 1968 and decided then that I needed a London club to follow. It became Chelsea right away, largely because I really liked Doherty and I’ve remained a supporter ever since).-

Meanwhile, back to Wolves......they have excellent Chinese owners who, like all serious Asian businessmen, take a genuinely long-term view and for whom the investment in Wolves is a comparatively minor one. They have the services of Jorge Mendes as a consultant advising them and who's first client was yer man Nuno.

They already have some very good players, none of whom are old and clearly they can buy more when whenever they feel like it. On top of that, Wolves also have a very good academy which is already providing players to the first team squad. This is a really well run club, on and off the field and I think they have an outstanding chance of becoming a top 4 club within 5 years certainly, nee possibly 3.

So I really don't think Chelsea have any chance of acquiring Nuno, (who's not perfect by the way). He and his agent are far too shrewd.

By the way, I go back a long way before Bully...Ingo back to the real team, although I was very young then, I'm older than that now.

An inversion of a famous song lyric there.....name it Mr Kelly.....

My back pages , I know the Byrds version but it's a Dylan song .

6 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

I’m not sure we’ll see the top-level change he wants, unless Roman has a buyer who’s richer than City’s.

BlueFizz, I wasn't suggesting a change of owner. But we DO need a change in the structure of the club below him.

I'm sure Marina is a good negotiator, and no doubt those who head our commercial team are doing a pretty good job regarding sponsorship deals etc. What we currently lack is... and here I'm not sure what kind of 'title' I should use, but if I say a DofF everyone should have a rough idea of what I mean... someone to oversee the general direction of the club on the field; attempting to dovetail the needs of the academy with the needs of the senior squad, providing the buffer (when necessary) between the senior coach/manager and the board/owner. Someone who can sit down with the manager and draw up a list of targets; someone with the clout to be able to say 'no' to the manager when necessary, but also with the clout to go and get the deals done without having to go higher up the ladder. Someone with the task of not just recruiting for the here and now but for the future when managers/coaches change. Someone who, based on the owner's own vision of how he'd like the club to play, recruits not just players to play that style but has an input on potential managers who can continue implementing that style.

We know that Roman would like us to play open, attractive, attacking football; over the years, he's helped fund the purchase of players who can play that style of football. Yet much of the time, he's appointed managers who shy away from that style. These 'mixed messages' are not helping.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

BlueFizz, I wasn't suggesting a change of owner. But we DO need a change in the structure of the club below him.

I'm sure Marina is a good negotiator, and no doubt those who head our commercial team are doing a pretty good job regarding sponsorship deals etc. What we currently lack is... and here I'm not sure what kind of 'title' I should use, but if I say a DofF everyone should have a rough idea of what I mean... someone to oversee the general direction of the club on the field; attempting to dovetail the needs of the academy with the needs of the senior squad, providing the buffer (when necessary) between the senior coach/manager and the board/owner. Someone who can sit down with the manager and draw up a list of targets; someone with the clout to be able to say 'no' to the manager when necessary, but also with the clout to go and get the deals done without having to go higher up the ladder. Someone with the task of not just recruiting for the here and now but for the future when managers/coaches change. Someone who, based on the owner's own vision of how he'd like the club to play, recruits not just players to play that style but has an input on potential managers who can continue implementing that style.

We know that Roman would like us to play open, attractive, attacking football; over the years, he's helped fund the purchase of players who can play that style of football. Yet much of the time, he's appointed managers who shy away from that style. These 'mixed messages' are not helping.

Petr Cech.

1 hour ago, BlueFizz said:

Well Jim Ratcliffe would do nicely.

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

My back pages , I know the Byrds version but it's a Dylan song .

Indeed and of course I had 100% confidence that you’d hit the spot Mark.

You weren’t the only one who did though.

46 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

No indeed. The mixed messages and mismatching of managerial philosophies to squad playing strengths are certainly not geared to engendering the holistic solution we’re looking for.