• Current Donation Goals

Droy was my hero

Your Favourite Tv Shows/sitcoms?

(old thread archived).

Not Les Miserables.  So glad that finished after 6 episodes.
Not so much the TV series of a book, as of a Musical, a series of short  scenes leading to a mega emotional moment and a cue for a song (that never came).  

Are we sure Victor Hugo wrote the original, and did not just adapt an opera.

KIlling Eve was great fun.  Luther was poor, I guess that won't be seen again.  

Also liked A Very English Scandal and The Informer, while The Bodyguard was frustrating but had to be watched.

Ham   

Silicon Valley is simply brilliant. Comedy about tech startups.  

Seinfeld obviously. Jerry Stiller is hilarious.

King of Queens.  Jerry Stiller is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

(old thread archived).

Not Les Miserables.  So glad that finished after 6 episodes.
Not so much the TV series of a book, as of a Musical, a series of short  scenes leading to a mega emotional moment and a cue for a song (that never came).  

Are we sure Victor Hugo wrote the original, and did not just adapt an opera.

Also liked A Very English Scandal and The Informer, while The Bodyguard was frustrating but had to be watched.

The 1934 film of Les Misérables is far and away the closest you'll get to the original novel. Not seen the current BBC version (I've been recording it to watch on a 'rainy' day)

The Bodyguard was awful... beyond preposterous. I'm amazed anybody reading the script gave the go-ahead to spend even a penny making it.

Killing Eve was enjoyable, as was A Very English Scandal. I started giving up on Luther part way through the 3rd series, although I watched the 4th series. This latest one (5th series) I never bothered with and from what I've heard from friends and family that did watch it, it seems I've not missed much.

I've enjoyed Startup (3 seasons) on Amazon. Big fan of The Man in the High Castle.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Silicon Valley is simply brilliant. Comedy about tech startups.  

Seinfeld obviously. Jerry Stiller is hilarious.

King of Queens.  Jerry Stiller is hilarious.

Have you seen 'Halt and Catch Fire'? That (along with Startup) is a tech startup series... not comedies, though.  I tried Silicon Valley, but like many American 'comedies' I found it overwritten and essentially unfunny unless one has a very low-brow, almost puerile, sense of humour.

Sciatika   
8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I enjoyed both Killing Eve and The Bodyguard. I watched them using boxed sets and that might change my perspective. I really enjoyed the Bodyguard. Like many of these things, though, it became increasingly difficult to suspend disbelief. The affair between Budd and Montague was unconvincing. Gina McKee was good as the head of Police counter-terrorism. Let me rephrase, Gina McKee has been good in nearly everything I have seen her in. One of our finest actors, in my opinion. I thought Killing Eve was fun but the end was unsatisfactory. It seemed like the authors couldn't figure out where to go and so settled for an ending that allowed them to be paid for a follow-up.

Ham   
7 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Have you seen 'Halt and Catch Fire'? That (along with Startup) is a tech startup series... not comedies, though.  I tried Silicon Valley, but like many American 'comedies' I found it overwritten and essentially unfunny unless one has a very low-brow, almost puerile, sense of humour.

No I'll give them a look. 

Sea foot   

I'm quite enjoying Ozark at the moment. Just watching the second series so no idea if the quality drops but so far so good.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

I'm quite enjoying Ozark at the moment. Just watching the second series so no idea if the quality drops but so far so good.

If anything, the second series is much better. Really enjoyed it.