• Current Donation Goals

JaneB   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

I'm still convinced that if you read Sarri's notes after a game they will contain one sentence repeated 100 times;

"Smoking doesn't control you. You don't need a cigarette".

I'm only slightly joking here too. That's why he's writing. 

I'll leave you guys to discuss all the 'technical stuff' but I don't want a manager who's always taking notes.  It looks ridiculous.  I want him prowling the touchline taking everything in and yelling at and encouraging the players.  I'm not sure I ever saw SAF taking notes or other managers from a bygone age.

I'd have to take notes if I was manager because I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing.  He's paid to know what he's doing.  It should be instinctive.   

17 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Don't understand why anyone pretends we're any more boring than last year. It's not a competition, unless you're setting it up to be one. 

Because Conte has gone, so now some are out for Sarri.
Also every every every man who has ever been on TV has heard it personally and on great authority that RA wants Chelsea to play attractive football like Barcelona.

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I'll leave you guys to discuss all the 'technical stuff' but I don't want a manager who's always taking notes.  It looks ridiculous.  I want him prowling the touchline taking everything in and yelling at and encouraging the players.  I'm not sure I ever saw SAF taking notes or other managers from a bygone age.

I'd have to take notes if I was manager because I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing.  He's paid to know what he's doing.  It should be instinctive.   

That Harry Redknapp never took notes.

7 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Well maybe, but it can be the case sometimes that he sees something worthy of note don't you think.

Not continually though I agree.

I don't place a lot of faith in patrolling the touchline and shouting at the players. I think that can be distracting and pressurising as much as anything else.

Edited by PeteRobbo

JaneB   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

That Harry Redknapp never took notes.

I think your wit is underestimated on here...…..

• Like 1

Personally I had hoped Sarri would succeed with his system, but I have finally come to terms with the reality that some of these players will never adapt to it, not tomorrow, not next month, probably never will. So the fact is if Sarri cannot or will not adapt he has to resign because he will be fired without doubt.

The only unknown in this is whether the club decided sometime ago that he will get the time to make it work, they hired him and must have known what they were getting?

As for the game, totally uninspiring, same old same old,  Willian and Pedro will never make it in this system, they are both counter attacking players and this system isn't set up that way.

The midfield lacks any creativity, individually they are good players but not in this system. I thought Barkley had a decent match, he is the one player who at least makes forward runs by getting into areas where things could happen as was proved last night. 

Defensively we look as if we will concede every time a team gets a free kick or a corner, in the reverse we have loads of corners and never look like scoring, its a total mess because we have so many square pegs in round holes. So it brings us back full circle, stick with Sarri and accept a couple of seasons without CL football, or start the process all over again?

I feel it will be the latter.

JaneB   
1 minute ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well maybe, but it can be the case sometimes that he sees something worthy of note don't you think.

Not continually though I agree.

Well yes possibly but for me it just adds to my uneasy feeling about him.

5 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Well yes possibly but for me it just adds to my uneasy feeling about him.

Well, others do it too. Even JM himself did it quite frequently and I might do it. You know, just to take an aide-memoire? It's easy to forget things when something else happens and distracts you I think. Well I do that for sure.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Not entierly true.

Up until Conte switched formations against Arsenal at half time he played 4141 with Kante as the deepest behind Matic and Oscar.

It was clear from day one that although he didn't play badly he was completely wasted. Conte got a fair bit of stick for it and rightly so. Almost all Chelsea fans were moaning that he wasn't a typical dm and shouldn't be played as the deepest midfielder. He was nowhere near as effective sitting in front of the back 4 and mopping up.

It's funny how many have bought into the media narrative that he's now being played out of position and should be played further back. 

Bank on there Martin. I do remember what people said those first few games. "He's not Maka", "he's never been the DM" etc was hear more than once around the Bridge (and I suspect, on here as well). 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Spot on. Amazing how many people, including just about every "expert" on TV cannot see that at his best for both Leicester and Chelsea, Kante WITH a DM, not as the DM. Drinkwater at Leicester, Matic, Bakayoko (even DD) at Chelsea. Let's be honest, this isn't a case of opinion, it is just a fact which can be cross checked with every appearance Kante has ever made since arriving here. 

Yep. 

What's different now is that he is all of a sudden asked to do more than breaking up play and play on quick transitions. Now he needs to be able to pass the ball quickly and efficiently with as few touches as possible. To be fair to N'Golo, he's not the only one struggling to do that. 

One critisism I do have about Kanté right now is that he's too far to the right and doesn't play close enough to Jorginho. Far too often Jorginho is left alone on the centre and with Luiz behind him you are never quite sure what can happen or where he will be. That's an issue we need to resolve to close the doors a little. 

1 minute ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well, others do it too. Even JM himself did it quite frequently and I might do it. You know, just to take an aide-memoire? It's easy to forget things when something else happens and distracts you I think. Well I do that for sure.

Let's face it, there is so much wrong with the team, how the hell else is Sarri supposed to remember everything he has to say at half time?