• Current Donation Goals

1 minute ago, East Lower said:

Very, very few professional football team managers ever resign - Jose Mourinho and his assistants have £19+ million reasons that demonstrate why that rarely happens (plus a slightly less large sum from us!)

Should he go, he'll be sacked, I have very little doubt of that.

That is true.

4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

A simple change to 4231 with Kante alongside either Kovacic or Jorginho in a double pivot and with a bit of work with have potentially a very good pairing.

As the the three in front of them, obviously Pedro Hazard Willian would be first choice but it would potentially get the best out of Barkley and Loftus Cheek too, allowing them more attacking freedom with less defensive responsibility. 

obviously Pedro Hazard Willian are first choice.  I really don't see where Barkley or RLC or Kovacic fit in (although RLC as AM4/5 is probably better than as CM5)

You are selecting a front 6 where 3 are 31+ and two likely to leave to better pastures.  The whole team has to change radically soon whether the current lot fit the tactics or not.  Ergo the tactics don't matter.  New Players do.

5 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

That will bring us back to that same old question:

Does the club replace Sarri with someone who uses a counter attacking system for the benefit of the players?

Or

Does the club keep Sarri and let him build a team who is able to play possession football?

With most of our starting players near or over 30 I'd go with the latter and build a new team with a different style of football. It'll take some patience from the club and fans but in the end we will end up with players who listen to what is asked off them and fight to play for the shirt, instead of players who want it their way all the time.

Quite.  And quite a lot of patience from fans.  It might as well be Sarriball as any other fad.

GURJ SS   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Quite.  Kante is nothing like Maka.  Maka rarely won the ball, though he frequently forced opponents to turn away with it into a retreating Chelsea player so someone else nicked it.  He is like that other deceptively small and energetic midfielder, Essien.  Essien played often at top of D, though somehow no one ever noticed that even at the time.

Essien was on another level to what we currently have, the guy who partnered him in sitting further forward was easily one of the best of his generation. The debate on where players should play and how they should he played is an interesting one and one I enjoy having, but are us fans also going to address the *Elephant in the room?

*We simply don't have the quality we once had, and that's sometimes fine because you compensate with quality elsewhere. But at the moment we've just got far too many question marks over players to even expect any manager to get the job done. Teams have got stronger and we've stagnated, our quality let us get away with it when other teams around us were far weaker, but because they've got just a little stronger and we haven't it's caused us to fold.

Question mark players for me are:

Luiz, Zappa, Emerson, Alonso, Drinkwater, Barkley, RLC. Due to age and change in style I'd add Cahill, Pedro and Willian to it too. I don't want to put Giroud in there because he's actually a good option to have but more as 3rd choice. Rudiger is good but I actually think we were probably trying to get Manolas.

We still have Kepa, Dave, Christensen, Rudiger, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Hazard, Higuain... Well when I put it down on paper like that it's either me being too harsh or we're actually in trouble. I totally get that every team needs back up and bench players, but I think our problem is we're having to play far too many of those type of players continuously in the first XI.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, JaneB said:

It was just a point of view that's all 🙄

I wasn't having a go at you..... I have heard many people speak about it like it is a major criticism. 

^^

Regarding the many and varied posts on Sarri's note taking... anybody considered that is's a substitute for the 40+ a day cigarettes he used to smoke in Italy?

paulw66   
20 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

^^

Regarding the many and varied posts on Sarri's note taking... anybody considered that is's a substitute for the 40+ a day cigarettes he used to smoke in Italy?

So why did Jose do it? 

Not saying you are wrong, but Sarri isn't alone in this. 

JaneB   
37 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I wasn't having a go at you..... I have heard many people speak about it like it is a major criticism. 

Ok I know. I always overreact. If we were doing really well I daresay I wouldn't be so bothered about the note taking or maybe there wouldn't be so much need for it.

I think he might suck a cigarette end during matches actually.

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So why did Jose do it? 

Not saying you are wrong, but Sarri isn't alone in this. 

All managers take notes during a game...  but Sarri clearly seems to do it far more than others. We do sometimes see him, a little more animated, on the touchline, with what seems to be a cigarette filter in his mouth. Much of the rest of the time he is busy scribbling away. If he were allowed to smoke, he'd still make notes... just not as many, I feel, as he currently does. I believe it to be a subconscious "coping mechanism" to counter not being able to light up.

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

All managers take notes during a game...  but Sarri clearly seems to do it far more than others. We do sometimes see him, a little more animated, on the touchline, with what seems to be a cigarette filter in his mouth. Much of the rest of the time he is busy scribbling away. If he were allowed to smoke, he'd still make notes... just not as many, I feel, as he currently does. I believe it to be a subconscious "coping mechanism" to counter not being able to light up.

All of which begs the question, if writing is a substitution for smoking, what is the psychological purpose of smoking so much?

Blue Rod   

So, Kante is currently playing in his best position, Jorginho is the best player we have in his position, and Sarri is on to something great. And the fact that we are so absolutely useless both in defending, and creating, must be just down to bad luck. I thought this kind of stupid fanboysm ended with Jose Mourinho. 

Edited by Blue Rod