• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Manchester United 2

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our FA Cup 5th Round match against Manchester United at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19:30,  Monday 18th February, 2019 (Local UK time/date).

This will be interesting to see how he treats this game. 

Does he go with his normal starting XI or will he mix it up a bit? I think there are several players who looks tired - Hazard, Jorginho, Kanté, Willian, Azpilicueta. 

I'd probably go with;

Arrizabalaga

Azpilicueta Rüdiger Christensen Emerson

Kanté     Jorginho     Barkley

CHO     Higuain     Hazard

Subs: Caballero, Alonso, Luiz, Kovacic, Pedro, Willian, Giroud

Jasonb   
  • I agree it will be interesting and don't think either Christensen, Barkley or CHO will start.

Why does anyone think it will be an interesting lineup? It will be exactly the same lineup as he puts out in every PL game - Jorgy in the middle, Barkley or Kovacic, Kante, the usual defence with Alonso back and Higuain back up front. And then the usual substitutions at the usual times. Surely everyone has realised by now how predictable he is?

1 minute ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

Why does anyone think it will be an interesting lineup? It will be exactly the same lineup as he puts out in every PL game - Jorgy in the middle, Barkley or Kovacic, Kante, the usual defence with Alonso back and Higuain back up front. And then the usual substitutions at the usual times. Surely everyone has realised by now how predictable he is?

Surprise us with a team list that would be as good but different.

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

Surprise us with a team list that would be as good but different.

Kepa, Emerson, Luiz, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Kante, RLC (if possible), Kovacic, Hazard, Higuain, Willian.

jones   

Hopefully we will see Sarri using his squad over the next couple of games. Let’s him evaluate who is ready for City and Spurs. 

Against United:

Kepa - Zappacosta, Rudiger, Christensen, Alonso - Kanté, Jorginho, RLC - CHO, Higuain, Hazard

Against Malmö:

Kepa - Azpilicueta, Luiz, Christensen, Emerson - Ampadu, Kovacic, Barkley - Pedro, Giroud, Willian

Christensen only outfield player to get three starts in last three, as he needs it. Will hopefully see a motivated squad, given there is genuine competition for a lit of places before a final and a London derby that everyone in the squad will be desperate to start in. Not worried about exiting the FA Cup at this point, we have more important things to focus on, and EL progression should be nailed on with that lineup.

The FA Cup is now our lowest priority, however with it being against a rival I can't see anything but the Sarri lineup:

Kepa

Azpilicueta Rudiger Luiz Alonso

Kante Jorginho Kovacic

Willian Higuain Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Emerson, Christensen, Barkley, RLC/CHO, Pedro, Giroud

The team I'd like to see (that has a glimmer of hope at being picked):

Kepa

Azpilicueta Rudiger Christensen Emerson

Kante Jorginho Kovacic

CHO Higuain Hazard

Subs: Alonso, Luiz, Barkley, Ampadu, RLC, Willian, Giroud

What I'd really like to be tried but understand it has 0 chance of happening:

Kepa

Azpilicueta Rudiger Christensen Emerson

Kante Kovacic

CHO RLC Hazard

Higuain

Subs: Caballero, Luiz, Zappacosta, Jorginho, Willian, Pedro, Giroud

It's going to be a hard game, OGS side looking to bounce back after first defeat and what a place to go and do that. I'd like to think we'll be up for it, but I'm not sure we will be - at least no more than we were up for Malmo and Man City. I expect the same team and tactics as always and therefor I unfortunately expect Man Utd to pick us apart.

I won't be gutted to go out the FA Cup at this point, I'll be annoyed to lose to Man Utd, but it will come down to how we lose (if indeed we do lose), I want to see some fight, I want us to be in the game... another Man City and I'm afraid Sarri shouldn't get the final.

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

Chelsea vs. Manchester United means a lot for both bosses.  What the FA Cup actually means to Chelsea and Manchester United (live on ESPN+ on Monday, Feb.18 at 2.30 p.m. ET) is a question that has been asked and discussed and worried about for a quarter of a century. At least one of them has made the final over the past three years, but that probably says more about the disproportionate strength of the Premier League's elite six rather than their priorities.

But this game comes at a time when its importance extends beyond merely this tournament, with both sides arriving at Stamford Bridge on Monday night in some state of flux, to the point that it probably matters more to the respective managers than it does to the team as a whole. United have just suffered their first defeat of the feel-good Ole Gunnar Solskjaer era, flexed aside by PSG, while according to various reports Maurizio Sarri has about a month to save his job.

Will victory in this FA Cup fifth-round game decide whether both managers keep their jobs in the long term? Almost certainly not. Very rarely will a single game have that much weight placed on it. But the game represents a chance for both to at least begin a form of recovery -- in Sarri's case from a prolonged funk, for Solskjaer to stop a nascent one.