• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Manchester United 2

Leo91   

I went into the City game confident we would turn up in a high stakes game. Now I don't know what to think.

kev61   
13 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Just as an aside, but Robert Harris' novels (Imperium, Lustrum and Dictator) depicting the life and times of Cicero are an excellent read. Heavily based on Cicero's own writings.

Just a thought Cicero is an excellent read but has anyone thought about the teachings of Jesus Christ? - I am not religious but has anyone thought or studied what he had to say.

Google Pat Collins an Irish priest who says there is an ongoing battle with good and evil and then Google Terry Waite and his time as a hostage

Edited by kev61

kev61   

We are losing our souls and footballers have none in general replaced by money.My pulpit is always open😂

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

Just a thought Cicero is an excellent read but has anyone thought about the teachings of Jesus Christ? - I am not religious but has anyone thought or studied what he had to say.

Google Pat Collins an Irish priest who says there is an ongoing battle with good and evil and then Google Terry Waite and his time as a hostage

Cicero actually existed! 😉

9 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Excellent!

9 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think Jesus Christ existed too.  Though like Robert Harris's books, much of the story was written down a lot later.

4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think Jesus Christ existed too.  Though like Robert Harris's books, much of the story was written down a lot later.

Harris' books (written down a lot later, as you say) are based on the actual writings of Cicero, who died some 40 years before 'Jesus' is supposed to have been born.
Did 'Jesus' leave behind any evidence of his own existence? All I see are accounts attributed to his followers, who may or may not have existed, gathered together after these followers would have been dead.

One existed and left unequivocal evidence of his existence... the other is as mythical as the chimera.

40 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Guys, we're moving in dangerous waters here. Please, let's get back to posting about the game.

To be fair it only started with a brief and light-hearted exchange concerning Cicero being the major instigator of the art of rhetoric, the power of persuasive speaking. He was also a philosopher, but what views he actually held I don't know and they weren't brought into the discussion on here.

How or why his nibs the messiah ever got brought into the equation I really don't know. He never had anything to contribute with respect to rhetoric at all, whether or not he existed.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Harris' books (written down a lot later, as you say) are based on the actual writings of Cicero, who died some 40 years before 'Jesus' is supposed to have been born.

Tiro's posthumous publication of his writings exist.  Tiro existed.  Plenty of Contemporary Roman mentions of Christ.  I Claudius included  :)