• Current Donation Goals

After tonight, I finally understand what Sarriball is and have solved all the confusion.

About 20 mins in, we got a goal kick. Rudiger goes to one edge of our penalty area and stands about 2m from the goal line. He then starts shouting and waving his arms furiously at Christensen, who is right across the other side of the penalty area standing about 5m from the goal line. Apparently, AC standing 3m further forwards makes it very much easier for Malmo’s press (they are all lined up on the edge of our area for our goal kick, ready to pounce!). All through the first half, we are (for want of a better term) dicking about with the ball in the first 25m from our goal, almost exclusively right over at the sides of the pitch. This is great fun. The Swedish postmen and locksmiths press like mad and force us into numerous errors. Azpilicueta receives the ball in countless impossible situations. We cede possession many many times. In the second half, the pattern continues until postmen get very tired. Then bang! Counter attack at pace. Giroud. Goal!

So there it is. Joseball and Conteball were “you have the ball and we will nick it 25m from our goal, counter attack at pace and score”.

Sarriball is much cleverer. It is “we dick about with the ball in our own defensive corners, until somehow you fail to dispossess us and then we counter attack at pace and score”.

Its genius.

The only problem I can see with this, is if we try doing it against professional footballers rather than assorted grocers and IT consultants.

• Haha 5

Blue Rod   
8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

What went wrong?  This time Monday night we were on page 29 of the match thread.

Well, we put in a decent performance in the end, after a horror show for 35 min. Our players are becoming very good in the art of rescuing Sarri from his own mess. Ony Sarri would play Kovacic in a DM position again after his nightmare in Malmo. Not surprisingly, the Croat carried on from where he left off in Malmo.

The reason many have not posted here is probably because we are still waiting for the news to confirm that Kante is alright after another shift of covering 2 positions, and making a hopeless formation look decent. We would also like to know if CHO is alright after playing 90 min, something his feeble bones should never be exposed to.

It's turning into a hell for Sarri. Because even when we win, it only strengthens the argument that he does not known what he is doing.

Edited by Blue Rod

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Tongue in cheek I know, but really it was as much the result of a press as counter attack.

Not tongue in cheek whatsoever , they misplaced a pass under no pressure from us  , probably the fishmonger under hitting it to the accountant , Kante intercepted it , launched a counter attack by running at full pelt towards their area before combining with Willian to set up Giroud.

Sarri will be livid , everything about the goal was against the teachings of Sarriball .

That first half performance was utterly diabolical , I don't know what was said at half time but it appears to have been " Do it your own way then "

Holymoly   

Kovacic will hopefully be checking his digs back in Madrid are available for next season. What an awful game against mediocre opposition.

Ham   
5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Clearly meant for Jorginho. He even seemed to smile.

It would have been mixed in with the usual "Ruuuubey" so may have sounded worse than it actually was. 

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Actually we started playing well from about 30 mins.  Bookings on 31, 44, 51 and 54 mins showed how we were breaking through them and just being brought down..  

So it took 30 minutes at home to suss out the butcher, the baker and candlestick makers team. 

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

From the BBC: 

Tonight's win means that Maurizio Sarri has won 28 of his opening 43 games in charge of Chelsea in all competitions (D6 L9).

And that's one more than Pep Guardiola managed in his first 43 matches with Manchester City (W27 D9 L7).

How many of pep’s matches were against fodder teams

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

That first half performance was utterly diabolical , I don't know what was said at half time but it appears to have been " Do it your own way then "

Well from 30 mins it was actually good.  Before that they pressed very high with far too much energy for them ever to make a game of it H2.  It was very high risk play by them, and while nothing major went wrong, they didn't really create any chances either.  First 30 mins, our chances were much better than there's especially the Giroud header.

paulw66   
10 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Yes but Pep was playing in the CL not the tinpot cup. If you look at just league games then Sarri is left in his wake.

So if you discount the 7 wins, he is 6 wins worse off. If we'd been playing in the CL, I think we can assume he would have won at least 2 or 3 depedning on the group, so really, and the point that was being made, is that 1) his record compared to Pep in season 1 is very similar having spent a lot less and inherited a team much weaker and 2) he isn't doing that badly

I imagine Sarri must be livid regarding our performance after about the 30 minute mark... nothing like 'Sarriball', and all the better for it! In fact the first half hour or so was probably our worse performance of the season, trapped deep in our own half by a group of semi-professionals still in pre-season while we attempt to pass around the back. We might have won 3-0, but I still can see no future for Sarri. Did one of the players, at half time, say to his team-mates "sod this for a lark... let's play our natural game and see where that takes us?"