• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
59 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

There has always been that opinion.  What we are seeing is a massive swell of opinion in favour of our HG players being suddenly good enough to start.

Christensen is marginal (though not all that HG).  RLC to huge fanfare is proving he isn't.  CHO is showing immense promise for 2 years down the line.  Abraham, like Christensen, appears to be good enough for the bench.  James as back up to "Plays every minute" Azpi is irrelevant.

Even if we went with all of them it would make no difference to the first XI, just the bench.

I don't know what your personal beef is with RLC. I think he is clearly good enough to start, just struggles with injuries. He dribbles past players, uses the ball well, and is a serious goal threat. 

With regards to the last comment, I would disagree, if not in a direct way. If players like James and Abraham are used to fill out the squad (which I believe they are more than capable of) then rather than spending £25m on Zappa, £35m on Drinkwater, £20m on Emerson, and so and so on with all the bog average squad players we have signed for big money, we could have used those funds to buy proper first XI players. 

• Like 1

BlueFizz   
2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

The Matthew Harding stand used to be one of the best for atmosphere in English football. 

The upper  went downhill a long time ago and is now pretty rubbish.

The Lower was still pretty good but where it used to be the whole stand it has shrunk inwards so unless your in the middle, block 11,12 or13 it's  also rubbish.

Luckily I'm in the middle of the middle and we try our best. There's  fair few of us that don't stop but it really is a small minority.

I can see that the Middle areas of MHL still get behind the team. 

In my area - almost at the West stand - it's generally a case of people waiting to be impressed before they even stop bleating on about how 'it's not working... there's no cohesion... this guys out of his depth... Jorginho is awful... Kante is out of position.'

I generally think these people come to the games to meet, drink, moan, go out on 37 minutes for more drink and a moan, come back late for another moan, then go home.

They must have money to burn, enlarged livers, small brains and very little interest or knowledge in football.

Forget the 'whole squad needs rebuilding' - the whole crowd needs rebuilding!

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I don't know what your personal beef is with RLC. I think he is clearly good enough to start, just struggles with injuries. He dribbles past players, uses the ball well, and is a serious goal threat. 

It isn't personal at all.  I just think at 23 he shouldn't be providing the odd promising cameo and disappearing in other games.  I'd say the same about Barkley (25 months older) but at least he gets through some of the workload, and I haven't (personally) been waiting for him to prove himself for as long as we have all waited for RLC.
RLC in a wide role, especially a "stay wide and wait / CHO" role, might be effective, but the only time I've seen that (Forest - he was poor) he came off injured at h/t.

How much longer do you want to give him.  He is after all fighting for the weakest spot in the team.

54 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It isn't personal at all.  I just think at 23 he shouldn't be providing the odd promising cameo and disappearing in other games.  I'd say the same about Barkley (25 months older) but at least he gets through some of the workload, and I haven't (personally) been waiting for him to prove himself for as long as we have all waited for RLC.
RLC in a wide role, especially a "stay wide and wait / CHO" role, might be effective, but the only time I've seen that (Forest - he was poor) he came off injured at h/t.

How much longer do you want to give him.  He is after all fighting for the weakest spot in the team.

RLC's best role is an attacking midfield position in a 3 man midfield but unfortunately, he's been too injury prone to exhibit his abilities consistently. He somewhat reminds me of Sturridge whose talent has been suppressed by injuries at Chelsea and Liverpool.

57 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I thought he had been doing well until his back injury flared up again.

9 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I thought he had been doing well until his back injury flared up again.

I think most of that was good will.  He has had only two starts this season against a  PL level team - Wolves and Bournemouth in LC.  He is up against 2 of the weakest players in the squad, neither of whom played as much as he did last year, and they are only 1 & 2 years older than him.  He ought to be head and shoulders above them in training, but clearly he hasn't impressed Sarri.

He was good in one of the EL games but I haven't seem much from him, and in particular he doesn't look nearly busy enough to be playing CM in the Prem.    Well not yet, anyway.

Not sure that "he gets injured at the wrong times" counts in his favour.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

So if you discount the 7 wins, he is 6 wins worse off. If we'd been playing in the CL, I think we can assume he would have won at least 2 or 3 depedning on the group, so really, and the point that was being made, is that 1) his record compared to Pep in season 1 is very similar having spent a lot less and inherited a team much weaker and 2) he isn't doing that badly

Precisely. 

Pep would have been in danger of being fired if he came here instead of City. The fans, or a large section of them, would have demanded his head on a stick. 

People like Blue Rod would have been all over this place claiming that he’s overrated, haven’t got a clue, and was lucky to only have managed big teams with big budgets. Klopp would never have lasted here and neither would Poch. 

9 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I imagine Sarri must be livid regarding our performance after about the 30 minute mark... nothing like 'Sarriball', and all the better for it! In fact the first half hour or so was probably our worse performance of the season, trapped deep in our own half by a group of semi-professionals still in pre-season while we attempt to pass around the back. We might have won 3-0, but I still can see no future for Sarri. Did one of the players, at half time, say to his team-mates "sod this for a lark... let's play our natural game and see where that takes us?"

I conclude you have no idea what “Sarri-ball” is. So far this season we haven’t played anything remotely like it apart from short patches in some games. 

Sarri isn’t about keeping the ball by slow ponderous horizontal passing. Sarri-ball is the opposite - quick one-touch vertical passing with pace and attacking impetus. 

So your comment isn’t just misplaced, it’s incorrect at every level imaginable. You can direct a lot of criticism at Sarri but not your criticism above. 

8 hours ago, Bridge Soldier said:

I was sat in the Shed upper and there were a group behind us that were annoying for the whole match. Didn’t join in any chants but booed loudly when Jorginho came on and one even shouted “**** Jorginho!” at which point I turned round and gave him a look. They also gave Giroud a lot of stick for being “lazy” throughout and seemed to only really be into Hudson-Odoi, making orgasmic noises every time he did anything, doing that finger clicking “sick!” thing. Then when Jorginho made a good through pass they were all like “no way, Jorginho’s sick now?!”. Really annoying.

I used to have a season ticket but gave it up to a mate a few seasons back. 

The fans were mostly killing my joy for attending games. These days I do the occasional away game instead. Cardiff away will be my next one. I enjoy the away days a lot more. Sure there are idiots there as well but nowhere near as many as at the Bridge. 

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

With regards to the last comment, I would disagree, if not in a direct way. If players like James and Abraham are used to fill out the squad (which I believe they are more than capable of) then rather than spending £25m on Zappa, £35m on Drinkwater, £20m on Emerson, and so and so on with all the bog average squad players we have signed for big money, we could have used those funds to buy proper first XI players. 

Strongly agree on both accounts. 

For me RLC is clearly the best CM8 we have at the club, and yes - we should use academy players instead bang average ones costing us massive fees and wages. 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

People like Blue Rod would have been all over this place claiming that he’s overrated, haven’t got a clue, and was lucky to only have managed big teams with big budgets. Klopp would never have lasted here and neither would Poch. 

Klopp and Poch are all about gradual progress.  We are all about winning titles or tearing it up and starting again.