• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Manchester City 0 (3-4 Pens)

CHO did well on Thursday but I thought Willian was better and for me it was a toss up between him and Kante for man of the match.

For CHO to start today it will be at the expense of Willian so every one saying he deserves to start after Thursday,  the exact same should be said for Willian.

I'm not against him starting, at all,  I just think the only way he gets into the side is if we drop Barkley, stick Kante alongside Jorginho and then play CHO-Hazard-Willian behind Higuain in a 4231.

A lot has been made about those wanting CHO to start more games and some of us arguing he has to be better than Pedro, Willian and Hazard to deserve it when in reality our third midfield spot is by far the weakest position in the team and perhaps the argument shouldn't be if he should be playing instead of one of our senior AM's but with them at the expense of Barkley or Kovacic.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

CHO did well on Thursday but I thought Willian was better and for me it was a toss up between him and Kante for man of the match.

For CHO to start today it will be at the expense of Willian so every one saying he deserves to start after Thursday,  the exact same should be said for Willian.

I'm not against him starting, at all,  I just think the only way he gets into the side is if we drop Barkley, stick Kante alongside Jorginho and then play CHO-Hazard-Willian behind Higuain in a 4231.

A lot has been made about those wanting CHO to start more games and some of us arguing he has to be better than Pedro, Willian and Hazard to deserve it when in reality our third midfield spot is by far the weakest position in the team and perhaps the argument shouldn't be if he should be playing instead of one of our senior AM's but with them at the expense of Barkley or Kovacic.

I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing about going back to a 4231. We also have RLC to consider. 

Just now, McCreadie said:

I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing about going back to a 4231. We also have RLC to consider. 

Even if it is just for this game.

Pretty clear after the subs mid week, that Alonso, Barkley, Higuain are all starting because the alternates, Emerson, Kovacic and Giroud would never have been given the full 90 otherwise.
Willian and CHO played the full 90, so I presume Sarri is expecting Pedro to make a full recovery and start.  If not it will be Willian.  CHO is making good strides but he won't start 3 days after 90 mins.  Willian might.

56 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Really the only difference between the two formations is the shape of the triangle in midfield. Barkley, RLC and even Hazard could play in the 8/10 position behind the striker. It would make the most of our strengths and limit our weaknesses. Chances of it happening?

58 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

RLC and Barkley. Both would probably benefit in a system that played with a number 10.

Danny Drinkwater may not be the worst option to stick in as one of the two deeper midfielders in some games either.

It's never going to happen though. On the one hand  I do sort of admire Sarri for the belief he has in his system. On the other his sheer stubbornness and unwillingness to try anything will be one of the main reasons he will end up loosing his job.

His Napoli side could play their football and go toe to toe with pretty much anyone. I love the fact that he was willing to do it but we are so far away from that and going in with the same tactics and line up against better teams is incredibly naive.

If we play like we did last time we will get embarrassed.

11 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Really the only difference between the two formations is the shape of the triangle in midfield.

Well yes.  You have to ask why we would want to tie Kante down though.  

It might allow us to play Hazard, Pedro and Willian, but they'd be pretty tired come end of season.  That is why City (who play pretty much 4141 with the CF much like a 5th AM) have gazillions of AMs.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

RLC and Barkley. Both would probably benefit in a system that played with a number 10.

Both would benefit with a system that didn't require them to put in a shift.  Not sure that is what a top class No 10 does though.

JaneB   

"Good luck today boys. We believe in you. Bring back another trophy" The wonderful and much missed Cesc on Facebook, and so say all of us 💙💙💙

(Form is temporary, class is permanent 😢)

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

In a one-off game like a final, maybe. Big issue there though IMO is that we simply do not have the bodies in attacking positions for that to work across the season; if you're going to use 4 attacking players (3 AMs and a striker) from the off most games, you are going to need at least another 3 (2 AMs and another striker) to stop exhaustion. And I think you're looking at needing at least 2 secondary players being good enough to start reasonably often, too. That's a hell of a lot of attacking talent and money. Off the top of my head and I'm not even sure the best attacking teams in England have that sort of man power.

I'd be more than happy for our transfer strategy to be very, very attack-focused. Can't see it though.