• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Manchester City 0 (3-4 Pens)

paulw66   
1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

Jorghinos penalty was a s predictable as his managers team selections. 

He has a good record from penalties

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Quite surprised he's not been getting more grief for this to be honest.  The way he took that penalty was utter tripe.  

well, he didn't get any grief for the same technique when he scored he previous penalties doing the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

I couldn't careless. That's his technique. Just like Hazards nonchalant spot kicks.

quite

54 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Hazard can take different type of penalties though. Jorginho are pretty much always the same and are never really tucked in the corners. His pens are awful and if you stand tall and wait you have a good chance of saving it due to how poor his shot power is. What I am still trying to figure out is why was Higuain not one of our first 5 pen takers. I would have put him 1st. 

He regulalry scored penalties. Just didn't work this time. and Higuain is no penalty taker. Has a poor record 

paulw66   

Zinchenko 4, Aguero 3, Sterling 3 and Bernardo 3........no of fouls committed per player. Not one yellow between them.

We had 2 players booked for their one and only foul, and we only had one player commit 2 fouls, who of course got booked. 

Why does nobody say anything?

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Zinchenko 4, Aguero 3, Sterling 3 and Bernardo 3........no of fouls committed per player. Not one yellow between them.

We had 2 players booked for their one and only foul, and we only had one player commit 2 fouls, who of course got booked. 

Why does nobody say anything?

On our fouls, they were taking players out who were bearing down on goal.  They were closer to getting Reds than no card at all.

But yes, it really is simple.  If you play high press, then you have to stop counter attacks by fouling as soon as you get the ball.  Spurs did the same and got away with it.  Malmo did the same and got away with it in leg one (the tricky game with the worst UEFA ref I have ever seen excluding Barca games), and didn't in leg two (when after 30 mins they fell apart).  Man U got away with both pre-emptive fouls and just excessive physicality.

There isn't much the club can do about it except complain publicly (which is probably unwise).  We have had similar cynical and physical sides before (think JM mk 1) and invariably we never got away with anything.  Arguably Clubs choosing to press us are simply maximising the Reffing advantage they are certain they will get.

Holymoly   

The "Kepa Incident"

Kepa criticism - For prolonging the incident and not going off.

Sarri criticism - For visibly blowing his top. For not ensuring his orders were done. For painting everyone into a corner by saying it was a misunderstanding.

Azpilicueta criticism - For not taking control onfield and sorting it out.

The officials criticism - For not taking control once the board went up.

Also I suppose you could ask the team how it is they are able to produce this sort of display one day then cave in like failed soufflé in other games this season.

• Like 2

xCELERYx   
39 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

He's done a similar thing twice before for us and scored both times.

My issue with him taking the penalty was going first. I think his and Hazard's 'dinked' style work better in the sequence when (hopefully) the keeper has to make a decision and go with it. Putting him first the keeper could just afford to stay still and the trouble with all 'dinked' or 'sent the wrong way' penalties is that there's no plan B.

I wanted Luis and maybe Azpi to put two hard shots in the net before anyone took a clever penalty.

But Jorginho (who did a very great deal right in the match) can do no wrong with many Chelsea fans - he's become a symbol of all that's wrong with Sarri, Sarri-ball and our club in general.

I'm a bit more sanguine. I think he's a quality player who is struggling with his first season in the PL. Some players fit in straight away, others take time. Pedro, for instance, struggled but once he adapted, became very effective. I think Jorginho will do likewise - whether playing for Sarri or another coach.

I don't mind Jorginho but am also aware of his limitations. For what it's worth, he was close to leaving prior to Sarri taking over from Benitez. He was struggling to be a constant performer and make an impact in games. Had Benitez stayed, Jorginho would have left. 

He's very much someone's that has to be accommodated to get the full benefit from. Without the supporting cast around him, he can be somewhat of a passenger because of his lack of direct involvement at times. Hopefully a second season in the PL will have settled him more. 

19 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

The "Kepa Incident"

Kepa criticism - For prolonging the incident and not going off.

Sarri criticism - For visibly blowing his top. For not ensuring his orders were done. For painting everyone into a corner by saying it was a misunderstanding.

Azpilicueta criticism - For not taking control onfield and sorting it out.

The officials criticism - For not taking control once the board went up.

Also I suppose you could ask the team how it is they are able to produce this sort of display one day then cave in like failed soufflé in other games this season.

The board never went up , they lifted it up ,put it back down , lifted it again , put it back down again and at no stage was it illuminated to say who was off and who was on . 

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-story-what-happened-lukasz-12853386.amp

Just curious if anyone remembers how much of a outrage this caused amongst the media and opposition fans.

I don't even remember it so I doubt sky sports news were reporting  it for 24 hours.

I can only assume not many others remember it as most seem to say yesterday was the first time they have ever seen it happen.

Interestingly and I'm a bit young for this and haven't really looked into it but I also stumbled across a similar incident in 1991 with Les Sealey in the league cup final, from what I have read he was lauded as a hero for refusing to come off.

with all due respect

I don't think that game was being broadcast live in front of a worldwide audience, also I cannot remember clement doing and iprerssion of a deranged man doing a Clark Kent impersonation

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

We played 70 mins more or less 451 (or 4141).

Really

I though it was 11 men behind the ball, which was very akin to Conte season two

Jasonb   

A huge team performance yesterday.

Liked Kovacic being dropped for Barkley.

Liked Emmerson playing too.

Didn't notice Jorginho much and think this was down to the tactic of the keeper kicking the ball down-field. For me this made City less reluctant to press him.

Thought Barkley, Willian, Pedro and Kante were magnificent in denying City space, hardly noticed De Bruyne, Fenandinho or Silva.

Pedro could have won it late yet that first touch .... just hit it man and in the first half Kante running onto  the ball just outside the box, surely that's obstruction!

Pride restored if not silverware and now a public relations / discipline issue with the keeper.

Edited by Jasonb

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I was only joking as per the long drawn out argument over whether a wing back was a wing or a back which raged in here during the last knockings of Conte's reign , when we all know the answer is wing particularly when one of them ends up second highest goal scorer that season and doubly particularly when said player reverts to a normal back unter Sarri and scores no goals.

ps I'm joking again.

I see. 

For what it’s worth I think Alonso has been figured out a bit. Suspect defensively and slow on his feet. 

Plus he’s in dreadful form right now. Probably have been overplayed over the last few seasons because we haven’t had a decent LB option for ages. 

Personally I think he’s a decent player but not an automatic starter at the level we want to be. That can sadly be said about too many of our players!