• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Tottenham Hotspur 0

Oh my god, how much did we need that! It felt like the whole club and fanbase gave out a huge sigh of relief at the final whistle. I really hope this is the turning point of the season and potentially Sarri. I've been vocally saying he should go and I'm not changing that opinion yet, but if he can turn this season around then I'm fully behind him.

Wasn't convinced with the lineup (Although I understand Emerson being rested, he's had a lot of football recently after having barely any for so long), Pedro starting, Kovacic starting, CHO and RLC on the bench - I wasn't happy, but it has worked out pretty well in the end, the team showed last night that they are behind Sarri and it feels as though Sarri may be slightly softening his view on having to play the same way every single game. Fingers crossed.

Bring on Fulham, let's get Higuain some goals!

8 hours ago, Ham said:

So you're happy to watch him constantly passing 5 yards sideways, being dispossessed shoulder to shoulder and giving the ball away by passing first time without looking up?

You're either being contrary or your expectations of him are gutter level low. 

Well I have seen gutter level - Winks yesterday or Kovacic recently - getting sacked by poor teams.
I think you are way overboard on Jorginho.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

This is the first game I can remember against Spurs where the referee didn't fall for their nonsense , not to say the ref had a good game but what he didn't do was pander to their incessant simulation , rolling around when we took the ball off them etc.

Maybe that'll teach Pinocchio a lesson , don't pick a fight you cannot win . 

Ignored simulation, yes.  But the fouling he let them get away with, and the whole game was distorted because he refused to use his card in some clear cases.

And there was a blatant penalty for hand ball early on

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Especially funny given the above. We've played in very different styles throughout the season, not sure why so many refuse to see it when there is ample wiggle room for criticism in talking about how well any of them have worked. Seems a missed opportunity for criticism to instead pretend it hasn't happened.

Indeed the 433 system is very flexible - those 3 numbers may never change but the positions where individuals play on the pitch vary enormously.  We have had Alonso as LW and a back 3, we have had a back 4 that rarely advances and a back 2 with both FBs getting forward a lot.  Kante is playing all over the pitch.  With Hazard off or at CF we get something very close to 451.  We can defend deep, mid or press very high with the same set of players and its 433 all the time.

It's not just the systematic fouling, which I resent when it is against us but I understand from a pragmatic point of view. It is the sheer gamesmanship and unsporting behaviour. Harry Kane was an absolute ars*hole from start to finish last night, and I'm disappointed but not surprised to see hardly any comment about him constantly kicking our players, headbutting Azpilicueta and trying to latch on to a gentlemanly pass back to our keeper after we helped his team out by putting the ball into touch. Lamela on Luiz was also very nasty, and I suppose I'm desensitised to watching teams throw Hazard about.

Lloris is shot; blame him for both goals TBH.

Kante was incredible playing further up the pitch, and for once I was really impressed with Kovacic; his one-man press was surprisingly effective. Pedro was a star; his tackle shortly after his goal would have been the highlight of most games. Really like Hudson-Odoi, but that was all the evidence you need that Pedro is nowhere near being challenged by the kid for regular starts.

Yes yes yes

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Incidentally, can anyone who watch on TV shed any light on the Higuain offside in the second half? Looked tight where I was sitting. 

Clearly offside.  He started his run very early.

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Well, we aren't going to agree. I think he is scapegoated.

He lost the ball twice last night, whilst making the highest number of tackles, interceptions and ball recoveries.

paulw66   

for once I was really impressed with Kovacic; his one-man press was surprisingly effective. Pedro was a star; his tackle shortly after his goal would have been the highlight of most games. Really like Hudson-Odoi, but that was all the evidence you need that Pedro is nowhere near being challenged by the kid for regular starts.

On this point; Sarri gets mocked when he says CHO needs to improve his defensive phase. Pedro was a living emodiment of the point he is making. It is not about asking your forwards to be good defenders or strong in the tackle, but being aware of danger. Brilliant stuff from Pedders.

Pedro was a star; his tackle shortly after his goal would have been the highlight of most games. Really like Hudson-Odoi, but that was all the evidence you need that Pedro is nowhere near being challenged by the kid for regular starts.

Ah, but only CHO can receive out wide, then cut in and beat a player then score.

On Jorginho, I think the criticism of recent weeks has been over the top. Yes it is frustrating when he loses the ball. Yes he is not built like the proverbial brick-outside-toilet.

However, as others have pointed out, he has a very difficult role to play in this system and he is better suited to this role than any of our other options. He is mostly receiving the ball in very tight spaces, he is very often pressed hard or marked close and is needing to instantly and accurately find a quick pass. There are going to be mistakes, at least until the whole team is able to properly implement the system. By that, I mean work hard enough to find the spaces to give him the right options. The "hospital pass" comment from earlier is a lot less of an issue, if some of the other players are able to play a lot more one-touch than they currently are prepared to.

Is it going great for him? Not particularly.

Is he doing better than any of our other midfielders would in that position? Probably yes.

• Like 1

BlueFizz   

Great win. Second very good performance in a row, this time with a positive outcome.

What's changed?

For me, although there might be some tactical tweaks - did we sit a bit deeper again? Did Kante start more level with Jorginho and then surge forward? - what's really made the difference are some very basic sporting virtues: effort and heart.

We worked hard Sunday and last night. And last night the heart in the side was clear - for me, Rudi has become the 'emotional' captain of this side and I think it rubs off.

My worry is that we still don't get the need to double-up this effort and heart in the so-called 'easy games'. Based on past experience (and this goes back long before Sarri) I can imagine half our side not quite turning up effort/heart wise at Fulham.

But this was progress - however, it's no value if it doesn't become consistent progress.

Pedro was indeed very good last night, for the entire time he was on the pitch. 

However, Kante was the main man for me. Absolute beast, offensively and defensively - 10 out of 10 performance. 

• Like 1

Stim   

In the continuing saga of changed tactics and Kante being a defensive midfielder

image.png.fe0dd4c967279b298bb146847b588dea.png

He spent even more time up front on the right than on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Ah, but only CHO can receive out wide, then cut in and beat a player then score.

No most of the current front line can do this. However to execute this manoeuvre you need to be standing in the right place.