• Current Donation Goals

Blue Rod   
12 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

I place it very highly. I'm not one who thinks that only managers who have won a league title are worthy of respect.

I must put my hands up, I didn't follow his progress in Italy very closely. But from what I have seen so far, I really do not see him stepping up another level. And that is precisely what he needs to get us somewhere.

Edited by Blue Rod

kev61   
20 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Let's get back to the match Kev 😀 Onwards and upwards!! We could be 4th soon and Liverpool are down to 2nd (hee hee).

I know you have a soft spot for ham Jane - good for you my love and you are right!

paulw66   
2 hours ago, JaneB said:

The thing is I post with my heart and not my head.

For some reason I still feel very protective of Claudio. (I still remember him shedding a tear when we beat Arsenal in the CL 😢). 

I hate seeing kind and dignified people being made fun of, not that I'm suggesting you were doing that and I think the phrase 'positioned me in an unflattering way' is great! Truth is you are very articulate and knowledgeable so I doubt I could do that anyway. 

Maybe I still feel some guilt that having been very upset when he was sacked, I quickly developed a huge crush on the special one and never looked back for a few years.

Of course he isn't a top top manager and maybe his methods are becoming outdated, I don't know, but he certainly wasn't given much time at Fulham, who will go down anyway.

I'm comforted by the fact that, however it came about, Claudio will always be the manager who won the PL with Leicester City and he deserves the highest praise for that. Danny Simpson and Drinkwater maybe mediocre players (the latter hasn't been given a fair go here) but he still got them to perform at a title winning standard.

Nice post. Claudio crying at Highbury will be how I will forever remember him. 

That his record as a manager is up down doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't be a good DOF. Very different roles with very different qualities required

28 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

That his record as a manager is up down doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't be a good DOF.

Maybe even  a very good DOF. Would be a breath of fresh air at SB, imo.

Ham   
1 minute ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe even  a very good DOF. Would be a breath of fresh air at SB, imo.

Isn't he perhaps too nice to be a successful DOF?

Would he be able to influence Roman and the board or a hot headed Manager? 

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

Isn't he perhaps too nice to be a successful DOF?

I doubt it, tbh.

Would he be able to influence Roman

Roman who?......:).  But in all seriousness - if he was appointed, then I'm sure that Roman would listen to him (as much as he's ever listened to anybody).. Not too sure about Marina, though. 

or a hot headed Manager? 

Which 'hot headed' manager has ever told the board, or Roman what to do at Chelsea, and been successful in the process?

27 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Which 'hot headed' manager has ever told the board, or Roman what to do at Chelsea, and been successful in the process?

Conte year one.  JM year one (04/05).  Not quite as successful every year though.

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Conte year one.  JM year one (04/05).  Not quite as successful every year though.

Quite. But I thought that both ended up being fired? Or, doesn't that count?

2 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Quite. But I thought that both ended up being fired? Or, doesn't that count?

No No, JM mk I left by mutual agreement .

But I did say some years were better than others.  JM mk I was actually 3 and a half very good seasons followed by 2 and a half more with Grant, Scolari, Hiddink and CA.  

kev61   

There is a massive missing link between the first team and the back room staff and the manager - A dof could see it and should be accountable  - Raneiri is not a bad shout.