• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

Jorginho needs Chelsea team-mates to adapt to my style, says Maurizio Sarri - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47430776

Another brilliant idea from Sarri. We should move David Luiz next to Jorginho, to play defence-splitting passes, bring back Obi Mikel and stand him next so he can shield the ball. Kante will of course continue his defensive covering for Jorginho. Because, it's not that Jorginho has underwhelmed us and his teammates, it's just that we don't have enough players to do his work for him.  

Underwhelmed you maybe, not 'us' or his teammates.

You probably have no idea though, you seem to think we've been playing Sarri ball all season.

Anyway, off to the game now. I'll take a 1-0 today with any type of performance. Early kick off on a Sunday afternoon against your local rivals, who have just changed manager is always going to be about getting a result. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JaneB said:

Poor old Claudio. Still treated as a joke by many people.

He still won the title with Leicester and they won't be doing that again anytime soon.

I think that both JT and Frank have a high opinion of Claudio and that's good enough for me.

A dignified, forgiving man who doesn't deserve to be called sh*te 😢

Jane, this is a tad unfair; he's obviously a lovely bloke and I said as much. It's clear loads of people have a high opinion of him, but I can't help but notice you didn't assert that that he was especially good at being a football manager, and instead just positioned me in an unflattering way. 

His career is characterised by coming short. I get the romance of the Leicester title win is intoxicating, but no one pretends Danny Simpson is a great RB. What's the general opinion of Drinkwater here? 

Being likeable is, I reckon, overall a better quality to have than being good at a job. Being likeable still doesn't make you good at a job. 

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

This. And a pretty decent coach/manager as well, if the truth be known. Throughout his career, he's had the potential of success/trophies snatched away from him after doing all/most of the hard work, to see his successor come in and win something. His Chelsea story has been repeated many times. I wish him well in wherever he turns up next.

Can you give any examples, other than at Chelsea (which I'd say is easily disputed anyway) of this happening over his 40 or so years in management? He's had about 15 jobs in as many years; when is it he's been laying this groundwork others benefit from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Sarri is not asking Jorginho's teammates to do Jorginho's work, he is asking them to do their own jobs so that Jorghinho can do his. It is a team game.

Its a team game, and Jorginho is the weakest link in our team. He slows us down offensively and he is a defensive liability.

Who is not doing his job; Hazard, Willian, Pedro or Higuain?. Sarri hasn't said a word about Jorginho doing his job. It's all about the others. 

Sarri has offered critical analysis of a few of our players. If he was fair and objective, you'd expect the same about Jorginho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DannyLB said:

Hope we smash them for Ranieri amongst other things. 

Understandable reaction Danny, but they really had no option but to sack Claudio I'm afraid. They'd just reached a point where it was clearly not working and time was running out very quickly. So they had to make a change as a last resort shot at getting out of jail.

The really odd thing with Fulham is how they got into this position in the first place. There were very good last year and played a very attractive game under Jokanovic. Why it all went pear-shaped is a mystery for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

This. And a pretty decent coach/manager as well, if the truth be known. Throughout his career, he's had the potential of success/trophies snatched away from him after doing all/most of the hard work, to see his successor come in and win something. His Chelsea story has been repeated many times. I wish him well in wherever he turns up next.

Me too Michael, although at his age he might be better advised to do something else. He's going to have little chance of matching the miracle at Leicester after all and it is a stressful job alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

One team in Fulham and Claudio Ranieri's Blue and White army.

I do recall, just about,  the days when Fulham were real rivals.  And later on QPR.  I still hate QPR.

Ha, So do I, I Reckon you are “vintage “ enough  remember the 4-0 hammering we got at home in the late 80’s Eddie Niedzwiecki’s crocked
( poss his Last game) and David Speedie in goal, That was probably the most bizarre  game  I can remember at the Bridge of that era

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueFizz   
2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Being likeable is, I reckon, overall a better quality to have than being good at a job. Being likeable still doesn't make you good at a job. 

 

Defining ‘good’ in football manager/coach terms is complex.

If you use the seemingly obvious critera - winning matches and trophies - them most managers are not very good, as most trophies tend to be won consistently by relatively few managers.

But clearly, many other managers are good enough to win sufficient matches to avoid relegation. Are they good at their jobs?

And how do you compare ‘good’ across levels? Is a manager who wins promotions in lower divisions better or worse than one who just maintains mid-table finishes in a higher division?

I think there are actually many different types of good managers. For me, Claudio is good at maintaining fairly high-level teams at a reasonable level, but not a trophy expert like Guardiola or Mourinho. He had a golden season at Leicester, but then reverted to normal.

For all the reasons above, I rate him a good ( (not great) manager. But a lot more than just a nice guy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, southcoastal said:

Ha, So do I, I Reckon you are “vintage “ enough  remember the 4-0 hammering we got at home in the late 80’s Eddie Niedzwiecki’s crocked
( poss his Last game) and David Speedie in goal, That was probably the most bizarre  game  I can remember at the Bridge of that era

I never remember games that well, but I'm pretty sure I recall Speedie in goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in our 74-94 mediocre period, I'm pretty sure I forgot most of the games I saw within half an hour of leaving the ground, only the numbness remained.

 

The teams!

Fulham: Rico; Odoi, Nordtveit, Ream, Bryan; Chambers, McDonald, Cairney; Babel, Mitrovic, R Sessegnon

Subs: Fabri, Le Marchand, Christie, Seri, Anguissa, Ayite, Vietto

Chelsea: Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rüdiger, Christensen, Emerson; Kanté, Jorginho, Barkley; Willian, Higuaín, Hazard

Subs: Caballero, David Luiz, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Pedro, Giroud

Referee: Graham Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, southcoastal said:

in our 74-94 mediocre period, I'm pretty sure I forgot most of the games I saw within half an hour of leaving the ground, only the numbness remained.

 

The teams!

Fulham: Rico; Odoi, Nordtveit, Ream, Bryan; Chambers, McDonald, Cairney; Babel, Mitrovic, R Sessegnon

Subs: Fabri, Le Marchand, Christie, Seri, Anguissa, Ayite, Vietto

Chelsea: Kepa; Azpilicueta, Rüdiger, Christensen, Emerson; Kanté, Jorginho, Barkley; Willian, Higuaín, Hazard

Subs: Caballero, David Luiz, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Pedro, Giroud

Referee: Graham Scott

Why does Barkley get in this team? Has to be RLC for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.