• Current Donation Goals

Wasn’t sure about the starting line up. But Kiev were really poor and 3-0 is a convincing result. Should make for a relatively comfortable second leg. So fair play to Sarri. 

Nice display from Pedro upfront, even though he missed some great chances. One great moment from Willian. Jorginho kept us ticking along. Luiz kept things under control at the back. And nice cameos from Loftus-Cheek and CHO at the end. 

chelboy   

Solid games from most players today. It’s so clear to see the difference between RLC and Barkley in that position. Kovacic was sloppy in the 2nd half and played the regista like a no.6 role. Not sure his mind adjusted to the switch. Pedro MOTM never stopped running. His movement is top class. Zappa did well also considering he has not started in ages. Hopefully CHO can start the 2nd leg and we can rest some for next weekend. 

GURJ SS   

Can't believe Hoddle and Hargreaves got away with talking so much rubbish.

We won 3-0, so we got 5 mins on the game and the rest of the time these two idiots criticising our club.

5 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Can't believe Hoddle and Hargreaves got away with talking so much rubbish.

We won 3-0, so we got 5 mins on the game and the rest of the time these two idiots criticising our club.

I thought they said quite a lot that was positive. Hargreaves remarked that we have had the best academy for the last 5 years and that we have turned around our form in the past 3 games. They were also naturally complementary about Pedro tonight.

Yes, they said that the young players need opportunities to play but that's true and I agree with it. I don't see anything particularly negative about what they said.

GURJ SS   
1 minute ago, PeteRobbo said:

I thought they said quite a lot that was positive. Hargreaves remarked that we have had the best academy for the last 5 years and that we have turned around our form in the past 3 games. They were also naturally complementary about Pedro tonight.

Yes, they said that the young players need opportunities to play but that's true and I agree with it. I don't see anything particularly negative about what they said.

Our young players are playing, taking in the loans and CHO we probably give more minutes than anyone else.

We're the only club that constantly get battered, thing is they all talk about our academy but who has gone on to become a top player from our academy? RLC is half the player he was in our reserves, Chalobah went to Italy and got lost in the tactical game, Aina has responded positively and will have got some vital education. Ake has too many dodgy games. Tammy is doing well after a stop/start PL loan(which highlighted he wasn't ready). All everyone wants to see is academy players, well like Sarri said the club will have to sell players to make room; then when we finish 6-7-8th for 4 years while these players mature we'll have swapped managers 16 times and the everyone will be talking about how we haven't invested in world class ready to play players.

Willian free-kick great as it was, the wall was marched back about 12 or 13m.  And the white curve for the wall was about 30 degrees slanted from where a proper arc would be.

3 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Kiev twam so bad thiis is a must win with more than two goals

Indeed Kiev were awful.  Lacking in ambition, in ability, or even a desire to protect their own goal.

I lost count of the times they simply kicked it into touch - I don't mean desperate clearances, just passes to a wide man that were over hit or badly aimed.  I quoted world rankings earlier, and they were about 30th, but on todays performance they were worse than any of the other EL teams we have faced, even those with rankings in 3 figures.

3 hours ago, DannyLB said:

Willian on corners is the biggest joke. 

No actually he is very good, always has been. Pedro and Hazard are the poor corner takers.  But it does look like we have stopped practicing corners, no one seems to have a clue where it is going to go, no one makes a dummy run or even a real one.  They all stand and wait.  Zonal attack? 

2 hours ago, DannyLB said:

Giroud has been superb at linking up play.

Maybe I need to review some of the game, Giroud looked very ineffective to me.  

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:
Comfortable, comprehensive, clinical. Chelsea. 

Surely you mean rather lucky to win 3-0 rather than 2-1 at the end.

Taking a 2-1 to Kiev would be very uncomfortable, and we got pretty close to that at the end.
I suppose that was because Kiev only made a real effort to get forward in the last 10 mins, and that meant that they were caught out relatively easily in the end.

I dare say some will say it only came about because RLC and CHO were on the pitch, but the truth is we would never have scored that if Kiev were playing as they were in the first 80 mins.

All in all a big disappointment, we should have killed the game off a lot lot earlier.

I understand Fulham still being in the game after 60 mins, but not this lot.

Ham   

What on earth has happened to Alonso? 

I've lost count of the number of times he's been caught upfield unnecessarily and then ran through treacle for a short while when the oppo is on a counter before completely giving up recently. 

He's a massive liability at the moment which pains me to say because he was so good in the Conte side/shape. 

Sad to see.

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

Our young players are playing, taking in the loans and CHO we probably give more minutes than anyone else.

We're the only club that constantly get battered, thing is they all talk about our academy but who has gone on to become a top player from our academy? RLC is half the player he was in our reserves, Chalobah went to Italy and got lost in the tactical game, Aina has responded positively and will have got some vital education. Ake has too many dodgy games. Tammy is doing well after a stop/start PL loan(which highlighted he wasn't ready). All everyone wants to see is academy players, well like Sarri said the club will have to sell players to make room; then when we finish 6-7-8th for 4 years while these players mature we'll have swapped managers 16 times and the everyone will be talking about how we haven't invested in world class ready to play players.

Well there's a lot of supposition in that Gurj and it's late, so please forgive me if I refrain from answering in detail.

In short summary I think we'll stand our best chance of having some academy grads make good for us and themselves if we given them a shot at playing in our own team, if they look like they have the talent. Man Utd had 3 teenagers in their side yesterday I think? And there are other, very famous examples in Paris and in the Bundesliga. Not everyone farms their promising young talent out on loans like we do and, by taking a chance and giving youth its head, they appear to reap dividends that we don't. I think that with a number players we have now - e.g. CHO, RLC, Ampadu, it's worth giving it a go.

10 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well there's a lot of supposition in that Gurj and it's late,

Seemed pretty factual at any hour to me.

10 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

In short summary I think we'll stand our best chance of having some academy grads make good for us and themselves if we given them a shot at playing in our own team, if they look like they have the talent. Man Utd had 3 teenagers in their side yesterday I think?

A quite ridiculous supposition.

Man U have done disastrously over the past 3 or 4 years and played dozens of kids.  I don't mean 3 or 4, but 10 or 12 a season, getting 60 plus starts between them.

Only one has broken through definitively, and he was about the 10th kid they tried that season.  Much like CHO, he got his first experiences at 17/18, and got more and more games after that.  Pogba famously didn't get his chances - and left the year before SAF did.  Everyone remembers that - everyone forgets that Man U won 4 out of 6 Prems in SAFs last years, and were 2nd in the others.

Playing all the kids ruined Arsenal and Man U.  Arsenal became a feeder club for City.  
AND it does bugger all good for the kids too.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Ham   

I think everyone has made their views clear on CHO including myself. 

It's the exact same points being made by everyone over and over again.