• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Surely you mean rather lucky to win 3-0 rather than 2-1 at the end.

No, if that's what I meant, then that's what I'd have said (nice try, though).  Given the number of excellent and well crafted chances we missed (or, maybe just Pedro missed), we earned the right to be well out of sight by half-time. And we should have been. So, not 'lucky' at all. 

Ham   
7 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

No, if that's what I meant, then that's what I'd have said (nice try, though).  Given the number of excellent and well crafted chances we missed (or, maybe just Pedro missed), we earned the right to be well out of sight by half-time. And we should have been. So, not 'lucky' at all. 

Agreed. With a bit of luck we're 5-0 up at half time without breaking sweat.

No exaggeration.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Seemed pretty factual at any hour to me.

A quite ridiculous supposition.

Man U have done disastrously over the past 3 or 4 years and played dozens of kids.  I don't mean 3 or 4, but 10 or 12 a season, getting 60 plus starts between them.

Nothing to do with the one dimensional manager they had?

Blue Rod   

Since the Spurs game, there seems to  be more directness to our game. it has produced a more meaningful football. I could never understand the necessity of the extra touches, the extra pass to the "regista" that only allowed our opponents to re-group. It made our moves far more predictable and easier to defend against - put a man on the so-called regista and its game over. It stiffled our movement, and we do have forwards who thrive on moving. If this new approach is a philosophical change, and not accidental, then I can only see progress, going forward. 

11 hours ago, exiledblue said:

You have to wonder if CHO would have found himself in the same position as Pedro. CHO may not have even had 1. Pedro has made excellent moves and been unlucky.

I didn't find myself wondering that at all. Reading this forum though, I find myself wondering if a younger, less experienced player would have found themselves in all of the positions Pedro did; the one chance where I think you could fairly say he fluffed it was the one from a few yards out, and even then that comes about because the defender in front slips or mistimes a run and Pedro's presence of mind to hold position.

I think this game showed exactly what Pedro, Willian and Hudson-Odoi all have to argue for playing time; for me you could only say positive things about any of them based on this game. That anyone (not you exactly, exiledblue) could find criticisms I think says more about prejudices held at the start of the game more than opinions formed by things that happened during it.

10 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

CHO doesn't get into those goal scoring positions eh, good decisive finish 

Has anybody on this forum ever said that? Doesn't sound even vaguely familiar to me. Think this is an example of seeing people make points it's difficult to counter, so pretending they said something far less defensible and responding to that instead. I'd have thought anyone who has seen even five minutes of Hudson-Odoi could tell you he knows where the goal is, even if overall they thought he was a classless donkey who should be fired into the moon and that Sarri should be made Emperor of the Universe. 

Quite apart from the Hudson-Odoi stuff, Pedro has been bloody excellent for weeks now. It's not just the scoring, it's the sheer workrate and the fact that in a season where we've far too many runners from midfield appearing in the box or attackers peeling towards each post, he and almost he alone is cropping up in the places that you expect attacking players to crop up in. Late surge for PotY, maybe?

Blue Rod   
16 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think this game showed exactly what Pedro, Willian and Hudson-Odoi all have to argue for playing time; 

What happened to the argument that CHO was already getting more games than his age deserves? It was vociferously presented in this forum only a few weeks ago after he played something like 10 PL minutes in 15 matches. What has happened? 

I find it quite bemusing that those who staunchly defended Sarri for CHO's highly limited playing time are now promoting themselves as the voice of reason and moderation. 

If CHO is arguing with Pedro and Willian for playing time, then the amount of time he's has played would suggest his argument is falling on pretty deaf ears. 

52 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Since the Spurs game, there seems to  be more directness to our game. it has produced a more meaningful football. I could never understand the necessity of the extra touches, the extra pass to the "regista" that only allowed our opponents to re-group. It made our moves far more predictable and easier to defend against - put a man on the so-called regista and its game over. It stiffled our movement, and we do have forwards who thrive on moving. If this new approach is a philosophical change, and not accidental, then I can only see progress, going forward. 

Personally I think it’s a question of us finally having the guts and will to be more direct. The philosophical change isn’t as big as I see it, rather a case of the players realising that they can’t keep playing at slow pace and expect to catch teams out. 

Have been a few interviews lately where some of the players are giving indications that the team has realised they have to buckle up if they want to be competing. 

I also think that a slightly lower defensive block and press has stabilised the team structure. Still think Sarri will want us to play a higher block and press long-term but has made this tweak for the short term as the players can’t cope with it. The higher press and direct vertical passing will be lethal when/if we get it right with the right set of players. 

I only watched the second half :in a bar in Valencia.

Personally I thought we were poor against poor team. Poor control lack of direction..just frustrating 

The missed shots is not really relevant imho 

A win is a win I guess

35 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Has anybody on this forum ever said that? ?

You've literally just quoted somebody saying that and then pretty much said it yourself in the following sentence 🤷‍♂️

Ham   
11 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

You've literally just quoted somebody saying that and then pretty much said it yourself in the following sentence 🤷‍♂️

I noticed that.