• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Dynamo Kiev 0

52 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

All the more baffling that Pedro played the full 90 minutes in a game where we rested all our other key players bar Luiz.  

Read twice to make sure this time! 

I don't think this is baffling; killing the poor travellers in the first leg when the follow up is a draining trip to Kiev makes absolutely perfect sense. I might have even played a stronger side, if fitness allowed. Risking a crap result and needing to be full strength thousands of miles away seems far less sensible. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I know when you've won a game at home in Europe three nil , controlled 90% of the game it is churlish to moan but I'm still going to .

I disagree regarding Willian I'm afraid , he scored an absolutely wonderful free kick , really top draw but contributed the usual "Willian" things , poor decision making , passes that end up behind the receiving player when we're bearing down on goal , at one point he made a trademark gut busting run out of our half , left half a dozen players in his wake and in playing a simple cross field pass out left hit the ball so hard it went right out by the corner flag and we lost all momentum again.  He has the most sublime skill set but my goodness he's frustrating to watch.

Pedro had another excellent game but at this level he really should have made the tie comfortable before we eventually did.

Until we can capitalise on our total domination of weaker sides we are going to risk drawing games we should be winning and losing games we should be drawing .

Agree regarding Willian. That goal from the free kick, wonderful though it was, was the least he 'owed' us for all the woeful decision making and poor corners over many, many games. And you're right in saying we need to be more clinical... there's been plenty of games this season where we'd have been 2 or 3 up at half time if we'd finished our chances better only to end up drawing or losing after a shaky second half where we've given the opposition hope due to us not being several goals to the good.

paulw66   
15 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Read twice to make sure this time! 

I don't think this is baffling; killing the poor travellers in the first leg when the follow up is a draining trip to Kiev makes absolutely perfect sense. I might have even played a stronger side, if fitness allowed. Risking a crap result and needing to be full strength thousands of miles away seems far less sensible. 

Good point. I think the idea was put the tie to bed, which has been done. Unlike Arsenal........ 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I know when you've won a game at home in Europe three nil , controlled 90% of the game it is churlish to moan but I'm still going to .

I disagree regarding Willian I'm afraid , he scored an absolutely wonderful free kick , really top draw but contributed the usual "Willian" things , poor decision making , passes that end up behind the receiving player when we're bearing down on goal , at one point he made a trademark gut busting run out of our half , left half a dozen players in his wake and in playing a simple cross field pass out left hit the ball so hard it went right out by the corner flag and we lost all momentum again.  He has the most sublime skill set but my goodness he's frustrating to watch.

Pedro had another excellent game but at this level he really should have made the tie comfortable before we eventually did.

Until we can capitalise on our total domination of weaker sides we are going to risk drawing games we should be winning and losing games we should be drawing .

Yes sir Mr Kelly. I'm marching on your side with respect to this.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

1) And you can't praise CHO without someone turning it into "Is he better than W & P?"  Why can't he just deserve more minutes on merit as opposed to because he demands more time? This was a perfect game to start him and to give W or P a rest.

2) Some could argue that a player who misses 2 or 3 sitters hasn't been "fantastic". Very wasteful IMO.

My point is that how good a player is currently is completely subjective to individual posters but too many are stating as a fact that W& P are currently better for the team than CHO. It's not that black and white.

And I'm in agreement with you too Ham.

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Good point. I think the idea was put the tie to bed, which has been done. Unlike Arsenal........ 

Just seen the Arsenal result  - awful.  Did they play a very weakened team?

Of the better teams, only us, Napoli, Valencia and Villareal can be happy ( and with 36 points in 26 games of La Liga,  Valencia can hardly be called a better team while Villareal have just 23 points).

I won't actually say it, but May 29th might be interesting.

2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

What happened to the argument that CHO was already getting more games than his age deserves? It was vociferously presented in this forum only a few weeks ago after he played something like 10 PL minutes in 15 matches. What has happened? 

Said no one in this forum. Ever. 

So nothing has happened. There are still people who think we should play him in the hope he’ll sign a new contract and then there are others who think there is 3 wingers ahead of him based on ability. Then there is a third group who thinks CHO is much better/better than Willian and Pedro. 

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Its ironic that most who want to see CHO play more are the loudest in wanting Sarri sacked. He was given 6 months by a lot of fans before they turned on him, some even less, what manager is going to play a school boy above Hazard,  Willian or Pedro when the fans of the club only give you six months to prove yourself?

Now just imagine if CHO signed the contract he was offered last summer and Sarri was to be given a minimum of two years here, perhaps he would be given more game time. As it is if we don't qualify for the champions league, the manager will almost certainly be sacked.

You can't, as fans, be screaming for the youngsters to play more and at the same time want a new manager sacked after 6 months. It's never going to work.

Spot on indeed. 

Jasonb   
32 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You would think so, yet 4 or 5-0 would have been so more convincing, it opens up the possibility of Kiev scoring early and our team getting the jitters. Don't think that will happen though it is not inconceivable.

I expect us to go through this round though we might have to work harder just before Everton to make sure we don't throw it away.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Jasonb said:

You would think so, yet 4 or 5-0 would have been so more convincing, it opens up the possibility of Kiev scoring early and our team getting the jitters. Don't think that will happen though it is not inconceivable.

I expect us to go through this round though we might have to work harder just before Everton to make sure we don't throw it away.

That is very conservative. We score one, they need 5. 

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Its ironic that most who want to see CHO play more are the loudest in wanting Sarri sacked. He was given 6 months by a lot of fans before they turned on him, some even less, what manager is going to play a school boy above Hazard,  Willian or Pedro when the fans of the club only give you six months to prove yourself?

Now just imagine if CHO signed the contract he was offered last summer and Sarri was to be given a minimum of two years here, perhaps he would be given more game time. As it is if we don't qualify for the champions league, the manager will almost certainly be sacked.

You can't, as fans, be screaming for the youngsters to play more and at the same time want a new manager sacked after 6 months. It's never going to work.

I do not see the irony that you are trying to refer to. In fact, if a manager is not good enough, (and I do not think Sarri is good enough for Chelsea), his area of weaknesses is likely to be, not one, but 2, 3, 4 or more. One reason Conte won the league in his first season was that he immediately changed his system to one that suited our players. But to me, the most important reason was he was absolutely spot on with his selection of players - from getting rid of players who were wasting space to playing players in their best positions. And when the next season, he had his barney with David Luiz, on the back of earlier one with Costa, we all saw what followed. So to say that those who do not rate Sarri should not be the ones calling for him to give more minutes to CHO, sounds a bit contradictory. 

I want Sarri to step up his game and look like a manager who can win something. I also want him to make the right decisions on players - signing and playing. I do not think he is doing, or is capable of doing either.