• Current Donation Goals

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The competition is ridiculous. 7 more games......... 15 in total. 

True, but we are 4/1 favourite.
It is basically us, Napoli, Arsenal and Seville, and IMO the odds are closer to even if we prioritise the EL.

I'd much rather 4th place, but I reckon EL is the easiest way into the CL next year.

paulw66   
16 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

True, but we are 4/1 favourite.
It is basically us, Napoli, Arsenal and Seville, and IMO the odds are closer to even if we prioritise the EL.

I'd much rather 4th place, but I reckon EL is the easiest way into the CL next year.

Possibly but the trouble on relying on a cup competition is it only takes one poor refereeing decision / slice of bad luck and you can be out. Draw Napoli or Arenal in the next round, get an incorrect red card after 10 minutes, which results in a converted penalty.........suddenly it doesn't look so easy. 

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Possibly but the trouble on relying on a cup competition is it only takes one poor refereeing decision / slice of bad luck and you can be out. Draw Napoli or Arenal in the next round, get an incorrect red card after 10 minutes, which results in a converted penalty.........suddenly it doesn't look so easy. 

True, but Barca aren't in this competition and I reckon at least half a dozen are guaranteed in the Prem.

paulw66   
4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

True, but Barca aren't in this competition and I reckon at least half a dozen are guaranteed in the Prem.

am not sure what you mean

any game can have a refereeing error......or not even an error, but your defender gets in a mess and is sent off early doors.

Or someone takes a shot, 2 deflections later, it is in the corner

Relying on cup football is high risk, however good you are. 

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

am not sure what you mean

any game can have a refereeing error......or not even an error, but your defender gets in a mess and is sent off early doors.

Or someone takes a shot, 2 deflections later, it is in the corner

Relying on cup football is high risk, however good you are. 

UP to a point.
But all but the final is best of 2 legs, which averages out the errors nicely.  And we will mostly play weaker teams who over 180 mins we should be more than one goal better than.

In the Prem, my guess is 3rd to 5th will be 4 points of less*.  2 major things go wrong in the last  9 games could cost us those 4 points.   We are more likely IMO to drop 2 points at Wolves on Sunday than not go through against Kiev, assuming we play similar quality teams.

Still I do hope we do go for the PL place 3 or 4 - if only because I think that is a much higher status result than winning the EL.

*Credit us with 2 points for our game in hand, and there are 4 points from 3rd to 6th at present.

23 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I've said a few times on this site since September that I fully expected our season to come down to this choice. In some ways, it might be helpful if we were further off the pace in the PL. I worry no one will make the call until it's already out of our hands. 

• Like 1

paulw66   
2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I've said a few times on this site since September that I fully expected our season to come down to this choice. In some ways, it might be helpful if we were further off the pace in the PL. I worry no one will make the call until it's already out of our hands. 

Tin pot teams choose between competitions. 

Chelsea try and win them all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Tin pot teams choose between competitions. 

Chelsea try and win them all.

Empty bravado that sounds quite silly to me. Not challenging for the biggest titles has very obviously, if not happily, been part of our planning for about half of the last 10 seasons. 

Edited by thevelourfog

23 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Empty bravado that sounds quite silly to me. Not challenging for the biggest titles has very obviously, if not happily, been part of our planning for about half of the last 10 seasons. 

Eh?  We've won big titles in 4 of those seasons.  We've been CL semi-finalists in 2 others.  I'm pretty sure we planned for that in some of the other seasons.  just because a season goes wrong, does not mean the club was not aiming high - in fact mostly seasons go wrong precisely because the planning is too ambitious.