Willian Giroud Pedro

2 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Kepa

Zappa Luiz Christensen Alonso

Barkley Jorginho Kovacic

Willian Giroud Pedro

Good line up. If you’re a Dynamo fan. 

• Haha 1

A pretty Europa Leaguey, but strong, looking line-up from Chelsea. Six changes from their Premier League win over Fulham. Olivier Giroud, Pedro, Davide Zappacosta, David Luiz, Marcos Alonso and Mateo Kovacic are all in.

Kepa starts in goal, Eden Hazard is on the bench.

Chelsea: Kepa, Alonso, Christensen, Luiz, Zappacosta, Jorginho, Barkley, Pedro, Kovacic, Willian, Giroud.

Dynamo Kiev make only one change - enforced - from their previous league game. Youngster Nazariy Rusyn is in for the injured Fran Sol up front.

Dynamo Kiev: Boyko, Sydorchuk, Shepeliev, Shaparenko, Tsygankov, Mykolenko, Burda, Buyalskiy, Shabanov, Rusyn, Kędziora.

On 05/03/2019 at 3:47 PM, BlueFizz said:

Interesting to think how strong we'll go for this one.

Clearly, you win it, you're back in the CL - but if this is round of 16, then it's seven games to win it.

Not sure how I balance that off with the fact that if we win our PL game in hand, we are in a CL spot - and have some 'relatively' easier games coming up.

I still think our best bet is to go for it in the PL rather than the EL.

Yep, interesting thought Blue, but I still think we should battle on both fronts if possible.

4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

True, but there is a counterargument that if you do not try to win stuff, you won't win anything. Winning mentality is important. What you need is a squad big enough to be able to rotate with no loss of ability and the desire to win everything so that players are competing to be at their best. Players work best when they are competing to be in the team that brings home the trophies. But it is high risk because, as you say, players are on the edge of what is possible. I am reminded that some of our fittest athletes are likely to break down with injury because they push the bounds of what the human form can endure.

Yes and also I'm not sure how "not trying to win covers up failures".

How you do you demonstrate satisfactorily that you're not trying to win and which media outlets are going to remark that Chelsea's defeat  in a competition is inconsequential, given that they were clearly not trying to win?

asvaberg   

Our bench today is possible our best lineup......

15 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Good line up. If you’re a Dynamo fan. 

Yes. Once again I have to question why Barkley is selected. The midfield looks very ordinary and uninspiring and the front line doesn't look much better either.

All of the inspiration is on the bench. Planned rotation in the light of an anticipation of an easy game possibly?

We'll see.

Edited by PeteRobbo

7 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

I've read several attributed interviews over several years with Bruce Buck - generally our mouthpiece. He consistently says we aim to stay involved in all competitions until late in the season - by which I've assumed he means: we don't cherry pick in advance and the longer you stay there or there abouts, the more chance you have of ending up with a trophy.

I do think our prodigious success over the past 10-15 years is often swept aside on this forum - almost as if it gets in the way of the argument that we're falling to pieces.

I agree with you - we are a trophy winning machine. The likes of Spurs and Liverpool are (to date) in a state of perpetual building, but never quite winning.

I like winning better.

This... 

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

An important point.  One has to add that attempting to win stuff usually means stretching your performances to the point where it may go wrong, while not trying to win stuff means you can always stay within that level, rotate players more often, play a lower risk game.
Trying to win stuff necessarily involves more apparent failures.  Not trying to win covers up those failures.

... and this. 

Quoting to demonstrate complete and absolute agreement. Give me a title one season and 10th the next over no title for two decades but impressing journalists any day. 

Ham   

Slightly off topic but after watching that penalty decision against QFC last night and the sheer amount of time it took to make the decision, who feels that perhaps EUFA had a say, given their ongoing issues with said club? 

It was never a penalty and yet VAR gave it.