• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
exiledblue

Captain Rudiger

Given our current selection of players we miss a leader on the pitch. I love Dave and wouldnt want him dropped but he is not a big enough voice for captain on the pitch. I would like to see Rudiger given the role. He now seems a regular and he is a big guy who could create a big presence. 

He has not particularly endeared himself to me with his agent suggesting that he replaces Azpi as captain. 

xCELERYx   

While I do really like Rudiger, he's not really someone I'd be wanting as captain on a full time basis, despite his presence. The biggest reason for this is because he can be too hot headed at times, and when you're on the pitch having a captain that can be rather temperamental isn't exactly ideal. He can also be somewhat outspoken.

Azpilicueta is the best of what we have right now. While also not perfect, I'd be carrying on with him for the time being. 

Edited by xCELERYx

Sea foot   
4 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

While I do really like Rudiger, he's not really someone I'd be wanting as captain on a full time basis, despite his presence. The biggest reason for this is because he can be too hot headed at times, and when you're on the pitch having a captain that can be rather temperamental isn't exactly ideal. He can also be somewhat outspoken.

Azpilicueta is the best of what we have right now. While also not perfect, I'd be carrying on with him for the time being. 

But then again some of the best captains down the line were of a hotheaded bent. It seems to galvanise their aggression somewhat. Harris and Wise to name a couple and the best in JT. Could be what would help him control and use that hotheadedness in a more constructive way. 

Just thinking out loud you understand.

Has a good shout but personally I would go with Luiz and have Dave as a deputy if I were in charge. That said, when Luiz goes he is probably the best placed unless we buy someone that is better attuned as captain. 

14 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Given our current selection of players we miss a leader on the pitch.

Do we? Sorry, but I just don't see that - we have Luiz, Jorginho, and Rudiger, (who all have the credentials), and  with Azpilicueta currently wearing the armband (mostly). Of course, Cahill does too, but he never seems to play anymore :(.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

But then again some of the best captains down the line were of a hotheaded bent. It seems to galvanise their aggression somewhat. Harris and Wise to name a couple and the best in JT. Could be what would help him control and use that hotheadedness in a more constructive way. 

Just thinking out loud you understand.

Don't disagree to an extent, but those were also different times as well. More eyes and responsibility are on those at the club these days and I'm not sure I'd be wanting someone like Rudiger as our official captain. By all means allow him to be a leader, just not officially. 

xCELERYx   
13 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Has a good shout but personally I would go with Luiz and have Dave as a deputy if I were in charge. That said, when Luiz goes he is probably the best placed unless we buy someone that is better attuned as captain. 

I used to think Luiz was a good shout but watching him again this season I realise he'd be an extremely poor choice. He never takes responsibility for his mistakes and all too often points the finger at others for his poorly handled situations. His attitude can be rather sulky at times also once things go a little pear shaped. 

He'd be a poor representation of the club on the pitch because of those less desirable traits. The fact he'll be 32 next month, has no long term future here, and would be the most droppable out of his partnership with Rudiger. He simply doesn't make the cut as captain material. 

Luiz for me.    He probably cares more than anyone.  But we all know our best players are all over 31, so Azpi having it now is fine by me too.  Rudiger not yet.

But give it 2 years and we will have 5 or more new regulars playing for us.  RLC will be HG and 25, and who knows, maybe even holding down a first team place by then.

1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

Chopper was never hot headed.  Every single kick was deliberate and calculated, whether to ankle or nose.  
Eddie Mac mind.  And he turned out to be the great manager.

Rudiger refused a new contract extension which alludes to one more season without CL football or squad improvement and he will ask to go. 

Reminds me of a modern day Gallas