• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

1 minute ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Slightly off subject 

is it me or has Luke Shaw become a little bloater again?

That's English players all over Bob , no dedication.

12 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Wolves are a poor side IMO. Did exactly what everyone expected to them to do as well which is sit back deep and hit us on the counter.

The fact that we failed to beat them doesn't equate to them being a good side - it just means that we were poor.

We struggled to create any chances. CHO, Higuain, Pedro, Hazard, Kovacic, Kante, Emerson, Azpili were all crap from an attacking point of view.

TBH Hazard was our poorest player IMO. The goal raises his rating a bit but honestly that was a 2/10 performance otherwise from Hazard prior to the goal.

I'm very disappointed. I'm not sure what more Sarri could have done either because he threw everything and the kitchen sink at them today.

I've never seen them do that before as much as they did in the first half today.

jangz   
14 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Wolves are a poor side IMO. Did exactly what everyone expected to them to do as well which is sit back deep and hit us on the counter.

The fact that we failed to beat them doesn't equate to them being a good side - it just means that we were poor.

We struggled to create any chances. CHO, Higuain, Pedro, Hazard, Kovacic, Kante, Emerson, Azpili were all crap from an attacking point of view.

TBH Hazard was our poorest player IMO. The goal raises his rating a bit but honestly that was a 2/10 performance otherwise from Hazard prior to the goal.

I'm very disappointed. I'm not sure what more Sarri could have done either because he threw everything and the kitchen sink at them today.

Their record says opposite.. have got more points in last 5-7 matches.. have a counter attacking style which they modified to park the bus against us.. without a top class midfielder they never had to rush out to block either .. nor could we play a direct style to crowd their midfield.. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

That's English players all over Bob , no dedication.

Should I find some overweight foreign players to counter this? Or perhaps you could point out some other large English players instead?

I suppose at least we got a draw.  Hugely disappointing for the fist 90 mins.  

Before people talk about who should have played, it needs to be said we had 3 good attempts- Pedro, Willian and the Hazard goal.  
I was rather surprised that CHO came on before Willian, though CHO did ok.

Pedro has started 7 games in 29 days, and is looking tired.  Not surprising really.  The price of form.  

Their goal - Emerson committed to a tackle which was fair enough given Kante was there giving chase, but they Emerson took Kante out which left the guy free.  Not very good.  I still felt Kante had time enough to get back and take he man out for a yellow - he has done that willingly enough in the past.

4 minutes ago, jangz said:

... without a top class midfielder they never had to rush out to block either .. nor could we play a direct style to crowd their midfield.. 

Oh Fabregas.  He'd have been on after 30 mins against this lot.
Or Drogba as a striker - he was watching too.  Only retired in November, I'm sure we could have used him for the last 20 mins

2 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Astonishing. You would think, after kicking the first few straight at the first defender, you might consider leaning back a bit and kicking it a little bit higher?

It staggers me how a professional footballer is not able to take a corner. FFS I can do it.

We had a spell a few years ago when we clearly had stopped practicing them.  No one was moving as they were taken, all the big guys were watching the ball to discover where it was going,  We had no plans.
Right now we are exactly in the same position.  

46 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Yep. Winning the Europa is definitely the safer and more likely bet for us. 

Yes - in the end it is far far more likely that we will cock up two or 3 remaining games in the Prem against PL oppo that cock up over 180 mins in an EL match.

40 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yes, RLC should be a starter.

Well no - not nearly good enough.  Being better than Kovacic at going forward is not a qualification.  Simple fact is none of our "8s" are good enough to start except Kovacic if we need to defend.
The smart move would have been 3AMs starting with Jorginho and Kante against this lot.

11 minutes ago, jangz said:

Their record says opposite.. have got more points in last 5-7 matches.. have a counter attacking style which they modified to park the bus against us.. without a top class midfielder they never had to rush out to block either .. nor could we play a direct style to crowd their midfield.. 

The problem today was our ineffective play out wide IMO. Pedro was off colour and Hazard was beyond poor. Emerson and Azpili were also poor. 

Willian and RLC looked lively when they came on and Willian should have been on sooner IMO. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Europa is even harder than top 4. If we can not get top 4 then I doubt we can even make the Europa final. 

Europa is easier imo.

Our biggest problem is that we're finding it difficult against teams that park the bus, which is a PL non-top 6 speciality. We're unbeaten against Top 6 sides at home ( dreadful away record though!). 

In Europa the teams we play will be much more open, teams that want to play as much as we do. 2 x 180 minutes knockout ties against this type of team ( where we technically don't need to win any games to go through) is a much better margin for error for us than 7 games of 90 minutes against a wall of 11 men where we virtually need to win every game. Think of how Portugal won Euro 2016. 

Also I feel like the PL teams that are bombarded by the media narrative of "Chelsea in crisis" psychologically fancy their chances against us a bit more. Whereas in Europa, I think teams will be more nervous about coming up against CHELSEA and the history of our name will carry more weight in the back of their players minds, since they're not as absorbed in the PL narrative of what we're currently up to and will view us as a difficult prospect.

The only worry is Napoli, for which we have the advantage of their previous manager. 

Looking at the points tallies of the Europa teams from the top 5 leagues, Napoli are the only ones who are performing as well as us in their league. And the fact that it has them comfortably 2nd, proves how tough our league is. 

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes - in the end it is far far more likely that we will cock up two or 3 remaining games in the Prem against PL oppo that cock up over 180 mins in an EL match.

Indeed. You've said it with more brevity than I could muster !

jangz   

I may be in a minority but I always feel against these smaller teams a narrow pitch always works in our disadvantage.. 

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Actually neither team won did it Rod?

Oh well, not too bad then. A home draw against the almighty Wolves fits very well into what we are capable these days. 

Seriously, this is a Wolves team made up of players who would struggle to make our reserves, and we were lucky to get a draw at home. 

Edited by Blue Rod

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, jangz said:

No we were not great because we committed far too many individual errors.. I would have banked us to get a goal late on..

besides if having better players was the answer.. we wouldn’t have won a lot of what we have... I think your argument is a little bizzare..

With the team available I don’t think Sarri had many other options.. Barkley/Kovacic both aren’t contributing.. Kante and Azpilicueta both had poor games in the attacking phase..

he bought on Willian so we could be a threat on set pieces.. CHO didn’t do much rather gave the ball away a lot.. I think u over estimate this lot.. especially considering the direction our board wants to go in..

Instead of trying to be too clever, we could just accept that we have been outthought by a team of  players who could not even make our reserves. Nuno is getting more from an average team than our manager is managing from his team. I do not see how anyone could conjure any other explanation.