• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Leo91   

Probably not now but a prime Moutinho walks into our midfield 3

19 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

While I agree that we should be beating Wolves comfortably, I’m not so sure about what more Sarri can do...?

Over the last few games he has been rotating players, adjusting our defensive line and press, including RLC and CHO more often, he has dropped Alonso, he even changed the formation today... As far as management goes, I’m not sure what more he can do...?

I think against a team that was going to play a narrow eleven behind the ball for most of the match, he might possibly have started with Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi. I don’t think we would lose too much defensively and might have gained more width, pace and physicality. 

Pedro and Barklay could come on second half if they were tiring. I just think Sarri’s starting line up was too cautious and played into Wolves’ hands. We were too predictable. Their game plan worked and we only managed to salvage the game after Sarri panicked. 

kratos   
1 minute ago, Leo91 said:

Probably not now but a prime Moutinho walks into our midfield 3

I think Avb wanted him here back in 2011.

Leo91   
Just now, kratos said:

I think Avb wanted him here back in 2011.

Well that Porto side were stacked. Falcao, Rodriguez, Moutinho, Hulk. Great side.

13 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I think against a team that was going to play a narrow eleven behind the ball for most of the match, he might possibly have started with Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi. I don’t think we would lose too much defensively and might have gained more width, pace and physicality. 

Pedro and Barklay could come on second half if they were tiring. I just think Sarri’s starting line up was too cautious and played into Wolves’ hands. We were too predictable. Their game plan worked and we only managed to salvage the game after Sarri panicked. 

Well hindsight is a lovely thing, but based on the evidence I think its a bit of a reach to expect a whole lot from RLC or CHO. Both good players and I’m pleased to see RLC featuring more, but neither have really produced anything but sporadic moments at best in a Chelsea shirt.

Blue Rod   
45 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

While I agree that we should be beating Wolves comfortably, I’m not so sure about what more Sarri can do...?

Over the last few games he has been rotating players, adjusting our defensive line and press, including RLC and CHO more often, he has dropped Alonso, he even changed the formation today... As far as management goes, I’m not sure what more he can do...?

Seriously, don't you think that playing decent football takes a lot more than producing a team sheet? Shouldn't the manager have a strategy, philosophy, game plan, tactics, coaching, etc, that actually works?  Shouldn't he train the team on how fast or slow or intense he wants his team to play? £6m - £10m seems a lot of money for someone to produce a list of players 

Talk about subs, you don't bring in a player like CHO against a team defendiing deep. He needs space for his game, to take on his man, open up spaces.. Either you start him, or you being him when we are defending and counterattacking. This was a sub by a manager out of his depth. 

Edited by Blue Rod

18 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

If Chelsea were rumoured to be signing any of these as squad players we'd think they are having a laugh. I'm sorry but there are many players around who have plenty of caps for their country who wouldn't get info a PL top 6 team. 

Well Moutinho and the rest are in a top 7 team now and they'd be in a team which would be higher still if, like Chelsea today, Wolves hadn't struggled to break down teams who defended solidly against them as a game plan. You know, in the way that we became known for ourselves under previous managers? A lot of people on here used to think it was wonderful when we were doing it and even used to call it "a work of beauty" in one famous case. 

A lot of other clubs competed to sign Moutinho, Jota and others, including Costa who we were linked with for a 20 million fee a couple of years back. Wolves got them primarily because of their excellent connections in Portugal, as well as the fact that they're paying very competitive salaries for them.

Wolves have played in London 6 times this year and haven't lost once. They've drawn today because they conceded a late goal. They had the same experience at the Emirates and they dumped Spuds at Wembley. Yeh right, it's all down to luck with players who couldn't make our reserves.

Was glad to see him try something different but have to say the subs seemed more out of desperation and rolling the dice than some well thought out plan being executed.

Seems we have found out how to play against top 6 but not against lower opposition, ironically the same goes for wolves but in a different  way. Very easy for teams to sit back and look comfortable. This has always been a  problem for us recent years, but more so now.

For me the result and performance says a lot about the winning mentality of the squad. Or lack of. We are in one of those periods where look like a spurs/arsenal/liverpool we can only hope we repeat the trick of pulling a major title out the bag in the next couple of seasons.

3 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Was glad to see him try something different but have to say the subs seemed more out of desperation and rolling the dice than some well thought out plan being executed.

Seems we have found out how to play against top 6 but not against lower opposition, ironically the same goes for wolves but in a different  way. Very easy for teams to sit back and look comfortable. This has always been a  problem for us recent years, but more so now. Adapting or clueless? Time will tell.

For me the result and performance says a lot about the winning mentality of the squad. Or lack of. We are in one of those periods where look like a spurs/arsenal/liverpool we can only hope we repeat the trick of pulling a major title out the bag in the next couple of seasons.

Edit: Accidental double post

Edited by Lump Of Celery

4 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Seriously, don't you think that playing decent football takes a lot more than producing a team sheet? Shouldn't the manager have a strategy, philosophy, game plan, tactics, coaching, etc, that actually works?  Shouldn't he train the team on how fast or slow or intense he wants his team to play?  

He certainly had a strategy, philosophy, game plan, coaching, tactics etc. and, just like any decent manager, those things are in a process of evolution as things go along. 

Calling Sarri out of depth at present is harsh. What are you comparing him to exactly? 

Because, objectively, we are about 1 result out of the top 4 and almost into the quarterfinal of the Europa League.

I can understand being displeased with him for not adopting sooner some of the changes he has made recently, but that’s about it. 

At the moment, the team has a good chance of playing in the UCL next season. And that suggests that Sarri is anything but out of his depth. I can understand if this were a few weeks ago and results were horrendous but he has really got some crucial results recently.

The impatience of our fans has been a real issue this season. The hiring and firing nature of the club has left our fanbase with no objectivity at all.

Regarding the intensity issue, how do you coach that into players? 

Because Klopp and Guardiola couldn’t. They went out and bought players that had those qualities.