• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

4 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Fair enough. And I’m sure that’s what Sarri was thinking. But I don’t think it was too much of a stretch to anticipate how Wolves were going to approach the game. Sarri just didn’t seem to take that into consideration. Why start with Kovacic in a game like this? What does he offer in the attacking phase? Give Loftus-Cheek an hour instead. His strength, ability to take on a player and hold up play might cause Wolves problems. And why not Hudson-Odoi over Pedro against a team that’s going to sit deep? Let him take on players and get some crosses in. Pedro likes to cut inside, running into Wolves packed defence. 

I know why Sarri doesn’t start them. He’s averse to risk. But unless you do, in a game like this, you end up nearly losing instead. It’s a fine line. And Sarri will get slaughtered if it doesn’t come off. But we scrape a lucky draw and is barely hanging on to his job instead. 

I agree with getting Kovacic out of the starting 11 because I have been suggesting that for months but the truth is the position is there for the taking and neither Barkley nor Loftus-Cheek have really put in the performances to nail it down. 

And that has to be entirely their fault. I can't blame that on Sarri. I’d love to make an excuse for either one of them (especially Barkley because I like him a lot) but the truth is Barkley isn’t putting in the statistics to nail things down and Loftus-Cheek has suffered significant injuries every single time he could have made a real impact.

With regards to CHO - definitely Pedro to start today ahead of him for me. I mean, CHO would be #4 in the pecking order if I were in charge - Hazard, Pedro, Willian and then CHO.

That’s not a shot at CHO. Its just my opinion that other than the odd bright moment or two he hasn’t really been showing the amount of potential that will justify his hype.

As for Sarri being averse to risk... well... wasn’t he the guy who pressed City high at the Etihad after Conte labelled that suicidal a year earlier and got hit for 6?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I agree with getting Kovacic out of the starting 11 because I have been suggesting that for months but the truth is the position is there for the taking and neither Barkley nor Loftus-Cheek have really put in the performances to nail it down. 

And that has to be entirely their fault.

Sad isn't it, the position is begging to be grabbed.  Especially for RLC who was the one that was actually playing regularly last year.

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

He certainly had a strategy, philosophy, game plan, coaching, tactics etc. and, just like any decent manager, those things are in a process of evolution as things go along. 

Calling Sarri out of depth at present is harsh. What are you comparing him to exactly? 

Because, objectively, we are about 1 result out of the top 4 and almost into the quarterfinal of the Europa League.

I can understand being displeased with him for not adopting sooner some of the changes he has made recently, but that’s about it. 

At the moment, the team has a good chance of playing in the UCL next season. And that suggests that Sarri is anything but out of his depth. I can understand if this were a few weeks ago and results were horrendous but he has really got some crucial results recently.

The impatience of our fans has been a real issue this season. The hiring and firing nature of the club has left our fanbase with no objectivity at all.

Regarding the intensity issue, how do you coach that into players? 

Because Klopp and Guardiola couldn’t. They went out and bought players that had those qualities. 

Couldn't agree more!

6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

He certainly had a strategy, philosophy, game plan, coaching, tactics etc. and, just like any decent manager, those things are in a process of evolution as things go along. 

Calling Sarri out of depth at present is harsh. What are you comparing him to exactly? 

Go back to when sarri was hired. His sole task was to coach and improve the squad. 

The team is no better than last season and has suffered some very humiliating results. The board have back him again by getting a 300k per week pet for him in January who’s impact to date is zero  

every man and his dog called spot knew the tactics wolves were going to use, unfortunatly our buffoon coach had no idea how to counter this

on the bright side he’s being paid peanuts so punting him will not cost the club an arm and leg  

xCELERYx   

We've only won once this season after going behind (vs Cardiff). Having failed on 8 other occasions. 

52 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

We've only won once this season after going behind (vs Cardiff). Having failed on 8 other occasions. 

For me this highlights the lack of leadership in this team. There is no one willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck and rally the troops. We just play out the game on a whimper. 

I was not very impressed by either Luiz or Rudiger yesterday. I think Rudiger can be reckless at times and a bit arrogant. Not one of my favourites I have to admit. He also don’t come across very well in interviews. 

Their goal was laughable. Luiz, Rudiger (and dare I say it) Kante should all have done better. Azpilicueta was also slow to recover. This softness to counters started halfway through Jose’s second season back with us and we are still suffering from it. Only the very defensive approach of Conte curtailed that somewhat. 

I actually think it was a bad call to change to a 4231 yesterday. After Ruben came on we looked so much better for a period of 5-10 mins before he started to make all those changes. After that we sort of lost our rhythm before it came back for the final 5 mins of the game. 

8 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

There have also been several who've been bought in according to the desired, envisaged solution.

Imagine that ...

12 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I know why Sarri doesn’t start them. He’s averse to risk.

I can't claim to watch much Serie A, but this really strikes me because it seems to me the opposite reputation to the one he arrived with. Certainly the closest we've come to playing what I thought was 'Sarriball' (a stupid term invented by journalists) was in August and September, when we played entertaining but very, very risky football. Is Sarri as a manager charactertised by being adverse to risk? I'm not sure. Is that how he seems now? I'd agree.

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think Sarri if anything thought Wolves would attack us and that's why he played Kovacic. If we want to moan for the sake of it then we could say he should have made changes at half time and not waited but imho that would be harsh .

Can't criticise Wolves at all for taking the approach they did, but my hope had also been that they are genuinely good enough to come to Stamford Bridge and play football and so would do just that, which would have made life oddly better for us. Took all of two or three minutes to see they weren't going to do that, and really the result was set in stone then. I just cannot understand why we do not attack in a very basic, fundamental, school boy coaching style; width, runners to either post, space for cut backs. Our fanbase as a whole seems embroiled in a dispute about who it is who should be playing to do these things, but I think the truth and really worry is that it doesn't seem to matter who plays as virtually no-one does it, and that this has been the case now for a good few years. 

Very disappointing performance, pretty much from front to back. At a point where I'd like to see some changes to the usual two or three versions of the starting XI, but out of depseration and not merit; I think RLC should be playing more until he actually plays, and then I get it.

Equally as disappointed with Chelsea supporters at the game. Booing at half time, throwing a little party when Jorginho was subbed off ... Not a fan of that at all. Pathetic.

• Like 1

xCELERYx   
23 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

For me this highlights the lack of leadership in this team. There is no one willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck and rally the troops. We just play out the game on a whimper. 

I was not very impressed by either Luiz or Rudiger yesterday. I think Rudiger can be reckless at times and a bit arrogant. Not one of my favourites I have to admit. He also don’t come across very well in interviews. 

Their goal was laughable. Luiz, Rudiger (and dare I say it) Kante should all have done better. Azpilicueta was also slow to recover. This softness to counters started halfway through Jose’s second season back with us and we are still suffering from it. Only the very defensive approach of Conte curtailed that somewhat. 

I actually think it was a bad call to change to a 4231 yesterday. After Ruben came on we looked so much better for a period of 5-10 mins before he started to make all those changes. After that we sort of lost our rhythm before it came back for the final 5 mins of the game. 

I'd put it down to a combination of both a lack of leadership and reliability within the team, but also a lack of adjustment by Sarri tactically to push for a result. We play the same way whether we're drawing 0-0, 3-0 up, or 0-2 down, etc. We rarely look to deviate from the idea of how Sarri wants to play and there's never really any reaction to make something happen when our plan of approach isn't working. Substitutions only impact so much if they're just slotting into the same systematic approach and are effectively like for like changes. There has to be more willingness to be proactive, be it playing route one football, throwing an extra body or two upfront, taking off a defender, etc. Anything that can envoke the opposition into changing what they're doing. Instead we go through the motions and hope something ultimately comes from it. 

This statistic clearly highlights a major flaw. 

• Like 2

jangz   
14 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

So, it's the pitch then. I thought it was that bloody pigeon. 

You seen to have a lot of opinions about what anyone else says/suggests - this at most times without the benefit of any argument to explain your self but accompanied with a strange sarcastic tone which honestly drains out any debate.

So would be great to hear what decisions you would have taken differently.. considering as some one posted above - (you could do a google search before posting too) which shows that they are 7th in the league for a reason.