• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I've said it before but you can't pick that midfield 3 against teams who aren't going to come out and play (basically anyone outside the top 6)

Kante, Jorginho, and Kovacic have played 6409 PL minutes collectively, and discounting one penalty by Jorginho, they have scored 4 goals in open play, one every 1602 minutes, or one goal evey 17.80 matches individually. So if that 3 play together, you can expect one goal every 6 matches between them (not each). 

Take it further, 3 of those goals were away from home, the 4th at home to City, so zero goals at Stamford Bridge against a team who is going to play for a draw (the bottom 14). 

Compare that with RLC and Barkley who have 6 goals across 1409 minutes, so they are averaging a goal every 2.6 matches between them. So if both were playing, you could expect a goal every 1.3 matches. I appreciate the sample size for Barkley and RLC is a lot lower, but I think it demonstrates a point.

Throw the above in with the fact that yesterday's back 4 has zero PL goals in open play. Both Rudiger and Luiz have one each from a corner. 

So if you are Wolves, Leicester, Southampton or Everton, against whom we have scored 1 goal at home in total across 4 games*, you can stick 8 or 9 men behind the ball and you need to stop just 3 players. 

* in three of those games, the midfield 3 was Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic.  

That's one of the most depressing things I've read on here for a while. Remember when we had midfielders that scored for fun and pretty much all of our first 11 (apart from Cech) would chip in with goals throughout the season. What a sad state of affairs.

We don't even have strikers that regularly score anymore.

The bolded line is the bit that massively concerns me, I think every manager knows how to stop us, apart from our own manager!

Does anyone else get the feeling Sarri is a bit like Wenger in that he doesn't scout the opposition and instead likes to focus on his style and playing his way etc?

Leo91   

Well according to past players Sarri does a lot of research. You only got to look at how much he writes. He's a student of the game.

8 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Well according to past players Sarri does a lot of research. You only got to look at how much he writes. He's a student of the game.

He may well be, but what we need is a master, not a student!

10 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

There's taking a risk, and then there's downright stupidity... our strategy against City was beyond 'risky', even if some of the goals came as a result of individual mistakes. A less gung-ho attitude would have had other players in positions were they would/should have provided cover. It was almost as if, to use a roulette analogy, having always bet £5 on black, Sarri, tired of hearing that he was too predictable, suddenly placed all his money on 0.

It really wasn't very different from our win against City in I think November.  We got the run of the ball then and the first goal.

At the end of the season I wonder how many teams will get more than 3 points against City?  (actually we already know - Liverpool got 4, 3 clubs including us have got 3.  City have beaten everyone except Liverpool at least once).

11 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Regarding starting line-ups, while in general I agree that Hudson-Odoi is, rightly, 4th in the pecking order, he does offer that little bit of something different from the other three. It might not be such a bad idea to occasionally start him in games. We play so narrow whereas he does tend to stick to the touchline far more than Willian, Pedro and Hazard. We needed to stretch Wolves but never did. Let him keep crossing balls into an empty box... eventually our other players will cotton on and get further forward.

It is just instructions, that and that playing closer in requires a lot more experience than CHO has yet.  Young speedy wingers are always instructed to play like that.  Indeed young players are often instructed to play and stay out wide even if they are neither speedy or wingers.
When Willian came on he played like a LW version of CHO.  Instructions.

paulw66   
33 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

That's one of the most depressing things I've read on here for a while. Remember when we had midfielders that scored for fun and pretty much all of our first 11 (apart from Cech) would chip in with goals throughout the season. What a sad state of affairs.

We don't even have strikers that regularly score anymore.

The bolded line is the bit that massively concerns me, I think every manager knows how to stop us, apart from our own manager!

Does anyone else get the feeling Sarri is a bit like Wenger in that he doesn't scout the opposition and instead likes to focus on his style and playing his way etc?

If you go back to 2004-2006 - Terry, Gallas, Carvalho all chipped in. Then you had Lampard, Essien, Gujohnsen, Robben, Duff, Drogba, Cole

Later, add Ballack, Ivanovic, Malouda, even Kalou, Anelka. Even Cahill in the more recent past was good for a few goals. 

With regards to knowing how to stop us - well we are doing it ourselves by not picking players who score. Desperately need a goalscoring midfield player who actually gets picked. The defenders could help by nabbing the odd goal too. 

How many times did JT, Ivanovic or Gallas dig us out of hole by popping up at a corner? 

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If you go back to 2004-2006 - Terry, Gallas, Carvalho all chipped in. Then you had Lampard, Essien, Gujohnsen, Robben, Duff, Drogba, Cole

Is the clue - 3 CBs, 2 CFs and 3 widemen.  What we really had was about 20 superb players, many of which could only get a game by coming on as sub. 

We are down to Azpi, Rudiger, Kante and Hazard now, and I'm being pushy by including the first two.  It is wrong to compare Racehorses with ageing nags.

(Topic change)  We also had corner routines in those days.  They seem to have completely disappeared - no one makes a run, there isn't even a fake signal anymore.  Everyone watches the ball to find out what will happen.

14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Desperately need a goalscoring midfield player who actually gets picked.

We desperately need 7 or 8 players under the age of 31. 

Some think RLC is the real deal.  Plenty of others don't.  That is the choice*.  No point talking about hypothetical players in March.

What worries me is that RLC, who seems to charm every manager he has ever had into supreme compliments, fails to get picked by the coaches that watch him in training.  

* I don't think Pedro/Willian have the legs to play every game, but playing one of them/Hazard instead of 3CMs is I guess the only other option, if only for the last 20 mins of games when needed.   Sarri  tried that yesterday.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

At the end of the season I wonder how many teams will get more than 3 points against City?  (actually we already know - Liverpool got 4, 3 clubs including us have got 3.  City have beaten everyone except Liverpool at least once).

City beat Liverpool in January; obviously that if anything strengthens your overall point, but pointing out regardless. 

I'm reminded, reading this thread, of the Mourinho interview in which he talked about goals not being scored at the point the ball crosses the line but at the 'transition'. Cheap and simplistic, but I think we've largely been risk averse in these moments for the last three managers. What needs to change for that to change? 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Later, add Ballack, Ivanovic, Malouda, even Kalou, Anelka. Even Cahill in the more recent past was good for a few goals. 

With regards to knowing how to stop us - well we are doing it ourselves by not picking players who score. Desperately need a goalscoring midfield player who actually gets picked. The defenders could help by nabbing the odd goal too. 

How many times did JT, Ivanovic or Gallas dig us out of hole by popping up at a corner? 

To score from a corner, the ball must first of all get beyond the first defender! 😉😉😉

Yesterday was very much like a rinse and repeat of the Leicester and Southampton games, albeit with a goal for us.

To be fair to Sarri, he spent most of the game trying to get the team to move the ball faster. What's not in his favour is that despite his continual urging, the players didn't do it. Now whether that's because they can't or won't is the million dollar question - actually a multi-million pound question, in loss of revenue for the club or compensation when/if they sack Sarri for not qualifying for the CL.

Man Utd at their best played two-touch football the majority of the time, SAF insisted that they moved the ball quickly. You can see that we have a few who really struggle with the concept of this. I partially agree with Sarri that Jorginho does struggle when other players are making the right angles for him to receive and recycle. 

My issue with Sarri is that we're two-thirds through a season and he appears fixated with his system when it's clear that the players cannot deliver it. 

As soon as we raised the tempo yesterday at about the seventyish minute we began to stretch the Wolves defence a lot more - lesson there, hope that Sarri spotted it. Let PL defences settle and most of them will be able to defend and keep us out, as we lack pace through the middle in the full-back areas, also we don't get the midfield into the box running onto any crosses, pull-backs the wide players do actually put in that beat the first man. 

Right now, if I were Sarri I'd be playing RLC or Hazard instead of Jorginho with Kante playing in a deeper lying role in games when teams set up like Wolves did. 

Also Wolves did do their defensive job impressively, very disciplined and committed.

Edited by East Lower

Leo91   
17 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

To score from a corner, the ball must first of all get beyond the first defender! 😉😉😉

Why don't we put someone in front of the first defender..