• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

20 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Most, if not all, of what you're saying would have applied to the Notts Forest side under Clough which came up from Division 2 and immediately won the first division and subsequently the European Cup. At that time no-one had heard of McGovern, Kenny Burns, Viv Anderson, John Robertson etc etc. They would all have been referred to as journeymen, but they proved that they weren't.

You are right to argue that Wolves's players should be much better known than they are.  The Forest case though is not the perfect example.  Burns was very well known at Birmingham, I recall a cracking hattrick by him at CF.  McGovern had won the league with Derby as had John O'Hare  and Archie Gemmill (with Clough).  Another guy bought just after the promotion was a guy called Peter Shilton; some may have heard of him.

Of course it was easier then when everyone played in England only.  And the Forest team also included some much lesser known talents like Withe and Robertson.  They did surprise everyone though, though not as much as Watford did when they came second in 1983

3 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Well, however we got here is another debate. But Chelsea was consistently voted the strongest and most popular English club in European football by football fans across Europe in the past 10 years. We have a pedigree in Europe, and I dont think even the best Sarri apologists can deny the fact that we have a team that is good enough to be playing in the CL if we can find a decent manager. 

1) Whether Nuno would choose to come to Chelsea or not, it does not change my view that Sarri has not got even close to getting the best out of our players. For me, that is damning. 

Your suggestion that Nuno is so pally with Mendes that he would be happy managing 2) a club like Wolves which historically lies somewhere between Championship and PL if only to remain on the good side of Jorge  Mendes, is a bit condescending to Nuno, I think.

Re: 1) - Agree completely.

Re: 2) - Wolves history is about more than the period that you refer to. They are a very strongly supported team because of their past achievements.  Furthermore, as I have been at pains to point out, they are now a signigificantly different beast than their more recent history might suggest, just as ourselves and City became. Wolves could have been in the top 6 of the PL already this season, if it weren't for their difficulty in dealing with lower placed sides. They are almost certain to overcome that next season and, if they do, they will be a real contender for top 4. It's certainly more likely than them slipping back down the league. Once in the top 4, they'll suddenly become a CL team won't they?

I wonder if we will?

15 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Whether Nuno would choose to come to Chelsea or not, it does not change my view that Sarri has not got even close to getting the best out of our players. For me, that is damning. 

Not much changes your view.  For you it is a damning argument.  For most it is just plain wrong.

Leo91   

I'd take a 32 year old Moutinho over Barkley and Kova any day. Highly underrated player. One of the best box to box midfielders in his prime.

Blue Rod   
1 minute ago, Leo91 said:

I'd take a 32 year old Moutinho over Barkley and Kova any day. Highly underrated player. One of the best box to box midfielders in his prime.

Fair enough. And many would take either of those players over Jorginho. There lies the problem, that every manager will be judged amongst other things, on how he rates the abilities of each and every player, at the club and elsewhere.