• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 14:05  Sunday, 10th March, 2019 (Local UK time/date).

Well here's an interesting fixture for me and it may well prove to be a real test for both teams.

One thing you can be assured of is that this fixture, away to Chelsea, will not faze Wolves at all. In fact it's exactly the type of game that they prefer. All season long they've seemed happier playing the big guns who take the initiative and allow Wolves to play, rather than the lowlights who simply look to sit back and defend, putting the onus on Wolves to force the pace. In fact Wolves record against the top 6 is the best in the league of the teams below that level. They've drawn with both Manchester clubs, drawn at the Emirates in a game they nearly won, conceding an equaliser in the dying minutes, beaten us at Molineux, beaten Spurs at Wembley and beaten Liverpool in the FA Cup against an admittedly weaker side.

BY contrast, the only team in the bottom 5 who Wolves have beaten is Southampton. Huddersfield have actually done the double over Wolves! Yes, they've dropped a lot of points against the lower teams and had they dropped only half that number then they would be in the top 6 themselves now and maybe pushing for top 4.

So they're no pushovers. They have some very good players right through the team. They have 2 good goalkeepers and Patricio will probably play on Sunday. He's an excellent shot stopper but his distribution is suspect and it has cost Wolves some goals this season. They play a back 3 who have been playing well together all season long. That's Bennett, Coady and Boly. Good news for us is that Bennett will be suspended for this game and it's unclear who will deputise.

They have very good wingbacks in Doherty on the right, (who's a candidate for best WB in the league for me. He scores goals himself and also supplies assists), and either Johnny or Vinagre on the left.

The midfield 2 of Neves and Moutinho are both top drawer. Moutinho will take set-pieces and drops them exactly where he aims for. Neves has been top drawer for Wolves for 2 years but, and here's another optimistic point for us, he's been way off his best form for a while now. It's very possible that any of Saiss, Dendoncker or academy product Gibbs-White will play instead. It might be more than 1 of them if Nuno opts for more solidity in midfield rather than creativity.

Up front there's a top class strike duo of the Mexican Jimenez and Jota. Jimenez is a genuinely classy all-round footballer who's scored 13 goals so far and also has 6 assists in the PL. Jota is very clever and threatening on the ball and is in a rich vein for form right now. The 2 of them have a very good understanding.

So yes, this will be a real test us on Sunday. Wolves will like playing away from home. They're very good on the break and are a very good team now who also have shed loads of money behind them. They have very patient and shrewd owners who have real ambition for the club to go the whole distance, supported by Mr Mendes as their management consultant offering sound advice which has enabled them to sign some very good players while they're still young and at very reasonable prices. Manager Nuno was the first ever client for Mendes. In the coming years Wolves are likely to get better progressively.

Not a fixture to be taken lightly then, but equally certainly not one we cannot hope and even expect to win, providing we're on our game.

My prediction? It's gotta be a draw. One thing about Wolves is they're not routine free-scorers. They've played 29 games, scored 37 and conceded 35.

Scorecast? 1-1.

4 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Not looking forward to this one bit, have a bad feeling we may get done.

Well yes, we may Martin. Nevertheless our form has improved markedly in the past few games hasn't it and although this type of fixture is up Wolves alley I think we can still win if we play as we can do.

32 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well yes, we may Martin. Nevertheless our form has improved markedly in the past few games hasn't it and although this type of fixture is up Wolves alley I think we can still win if we play as we can do.

We simply must not let Vinagre stroke it about.

Sea foot   
3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

😏😏

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Another fine copy and paste from your ad-libs oh master!

BlueFizz   

I agree with others, Wolves are a good side. However, I think we’re a better side and back in form at the right time.

Others may not agree but I feel this is the sort of game the home crowd can influence - get behind the side, turn it into a ‘loud, standing up’ game and it could lift the performance. Sadly, I fear a muted ‘wait to be impressed’ performance - certainly in my section of the Matthew Harding Moaner (lower).

Many bemoan our relative decline, but to me, it’s nothing compared to our home crowd’s transformation into a moaning mob.

Think will pinch it 2-1 or 3-1

I’m expecting us to blow them away to be honest. Fair play to Sarri he seems to have dug himself out of a real hole. 

Higuain looks dangerous and Pedro is in form, with Hazard rested and Jorginho looks improved. Honestly, I would be disappointed with anything other than a resounding victor tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Honestly, I would be disappointed with anything other than a resounding victor tbh. 

^^^^^^^^^

This.