• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Official: Callum Hudson-Odoi Signs New 5-Year Contract

kev61   

Is there something to be learned from the rise of Marcus radford? - of course there is - Rashford got his chance because of  utd's injury list - he is a gold nugget when utd were panning for gold in there own ranks.

paulw66   
51 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Is there something to be learned from the rise of Marcus radford? - of course there is - Rashford got his chance because of  utd's injury list - he is a gold nugget when utd were panning for gold in there own ranks.

Using Rashford as a comparison, he had played a lot less games for United when he was the age CHO is now. 

CHO is way ahead of the curve in terms of minutes played at first team level. 

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

Good point.  United gave chances to about 20 young Academy players over 2 years,  the first 19 of which all failed to become first team regulars.  The last one only got his chance through injuries and turned out to be the only one worth having.  
Quite simply even the clubs don't know which 19 or 20 year olds will make it, and they are largely wasting their own time trying to find out.  
er cough.. Arsenal!

Angus19   
On 04/07/2019 at 10:49 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Good point.  United gave chances to about 20 young Academy players over 2 years,  the first 19 of which all failed to become first team regulars.  The last one only got his chance through injuries and turned out to be the only one worth having.  
Quite simply even the clubs don't know which 19 or 20 year olds will make it, and they are largely wasting their own time trying to find out.  
er cough.. Arsenal!

Ofcourse there's some factors that can't be accounted for but in general I'd expect our coaches to be very switched on to which youth players have a chance of making it and which don't.

United's policy back then was give em all chances until some workout, that's not a road I'll ever want to see us go down and it must be quite damaging to the one's not of the required standard who were basically set up to fail.

21 minutes ago, Angus19 said:

Ofcourse there's some factors that can't be accounted for but in general I'd expect our coaches to be very switched on to which youth players have a chance of making it and which don't.

United's policy back then was give em all chances until some workout, that's not a road I'll ever want to see us go down and it must be quite damaging to the one's not of the required standard who were basically set up to fail.

Well yes, and to be fair to our own coaches, they have rarely pushed very hard for a lot of game time for young player who didn't make it.
Josh played a lot and failed.
RLC was played a lot going back to JM, and he remains a maybe.
Christensen was brought in off loans, and IMO has been better than Chalobah or AKe would have been if they had been given the chance instead.
CHO has been given time very very early, and so far looks very good for it.

That is not a lot of time wasting over youngsters over about 10 years.  And I wouldn't say they have missed out on anyone yet.

The players we got wrong were all brought straight into the first team too early - like Lukaku, KdB and Salah, and missed out on the Academy coaches entirely.

paulw66   
On 7/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, Droy was my hero said:

A lot? No. 

We've had this discussion before. He barely played under JM, he played a bit under Hiddink, then not at all under Conte until the league was won. 

paulw66   
On 7/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I got bored this afternoon, so did research on RLC's minutes, and what might constitute "a lot"

2014/15 - 134 minutes in PLl, 7 minutes in CL = total of 141 minutes, or 1.56 full games

2015/16 - 408 PL**, 135 FA Cup*, 72 LC* and 77 CL = total 692 minutes, or 7.7 full games

2016/17 - 31 PL, 164 FA*, 149 LC, total of 344 minutes or 3.8 full games

So in 3 years, a total of 1177 minutes, which equates to almost exactly 13 full games. 

* entirely against lower league oppo. 

** largely under Hiddink.

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

A lot? No. 

We've had this discussion before. He barely played under JM, he played a bit under Hiddink, then not at all under Conte until the league was won. 

We did - you still claim you have won.  No change there.  It's a lot compared to any other young Chelsea player since Josh McEachran.  
Edit - thanks for the details.  

Actually it is more than Joah - more than anyone since Huth I guess.

Edited by Droy was my hero

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

We did - you still claim you have won.  No change there.  It's a lot compared to any other young Chelsea player since Josh McEachran.  

Where? Just pointing out numbers.