• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Official: Callum Hudson-Odoi Signs New 5-Year Contract

jangz   

Considering how the entire media was on chelsea's back with CHO wasnt playing..  why are they silent on Phoden.. ?

Zidane   
2 hours ago, jangz said:

Considering how the entire media was on chelsea's back with CHO wasnt playing..  why are they silent on Phoden.. ?

City just thrashed Watford 8-0?

Edited by Zidane
Specificity

jangz   
18 hours ago, Zidane said:

City just thrashed Watford 8-0?

Surely this was a game for him then..

Ham   

An interesting insight.....

Screenshot_20191008-235115_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20191008-235233_Instagram.jpg

32 minutes ago, Ham said:

An interesting insight.....

And quite magically, that wizened chain smoking Italian that everyone wanted to hate, picked him and suddenly he was playing!

Ham   
7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

And quite magically, that wizened chain smoking Italian that everyone wanted to hate, picked him and suddenly he was playing!

Yes.  The pressure on him to pick CHO was immense by that time. 

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I should probably check this first, but I seem to think he started picking him when all the transfer talk to Bayern escalated and throughout most of January. He then seemed to find himself more on the bench again from the start of February time.

I struggle to find any firm reasons to support Sarri's position on CHO. Sarri clearly underused him across the first half of the season, then started playing him when the pressure intensified over a combination of results not being great, but I also would not be surprised if some pressure was applied from senior management to start including him around January when the transfer window opened.

Sarri knew he was gone by the time he started picking CHO on a regular basis, the same with RLC.

There is one quote from Sarri which he trotted out numerous times in his first 3-4 months at the club, this tells you everything you need to know. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember it word for word ' For Hudson Odoi to be starting at 18 at Chelsea means he has to be one of the best players in the world'

He clearly didn't think he was (probably rightly so), so why start playing him from January time then ? Had he improved in those 4-5 months to suddenly then become one of the best players in the world ?

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

paulw66   
1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

He clearly didn't think he was (probably rightly so), so why start playing him from January time then ? Had he improved in those 4-5 months to suddenly then become one of the best players in the world ?

He didn't really. His first PL start was in April. There is a complete myth that he was playing regularly from the moment Bayern came sniffing.

CHO played a fair bit in January becasue we had cup ties against lower league opposition. 

I have no issue with the way Sarri integrated CHO slowly into the first team, rather than just chucking him in the deep end at 17. 

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

It was a very gradual introduction with a lot of appearances in LC and EL often as sub.  If I recall we had close to a record number of games last season reaching the finals of LC, EL (15 games) and a few FAC rounds.  

33 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He didn't really. His first PL start was in April. There is a complete myth that he was playing regularly from the moment Bayern came sniffing.

Quite.  In fact almost everything about CHO has been myth not fact.  Including I suspect the level of interest from BM.

One thing that is not a myth is that of the England WC U17 winners I don't think any of them have played as much PL football as CHO.  Even though CHO was not the highest lauded player of that team.  Of our players, Guehi, a school year older, though same football/calendar year, first played for us against Grimsby and McEachran till hasn't played for the first team in competition.