• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Official: Callum Hudson-Odoi Signs New 5-Year Contract

17 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

He’s been tried everywhere. I just don’t think he’s up to it and he can’t seem to improve. 💁🏿‍♂️

Has he, though? 22 starts over 3 or so years, even when racking up 100 appearances, suggests otherwise.

He needs a season playing 60-90 minutes game after game after game, in the same position (his preferred one of wide left rather than right wing-back would be good) and he's not going to get it here. He needed a loan last season. Not getting it, he needed a loan this season. His advisors have not acted in his best interests long-term, but nor have the club, either.

44 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Has he, though? 22 starts over 3 or so years, even when racking up 100 appearances, suggests otherwise.

He needs a season playing 60-90 minutes game after game after game, in the same position (his preferred one of wide left rather than right wing-back would be good) and he's not going to get it here. He needed a loan last season. Not getting it, he needed a loan this season. His advisors have not acted in his best interests long-term, but nor have the club, either.

Yes but.  On his contract is he in position to ask for a development loan?  Or should he be expected to contribute as and when TT requires?  And would you be happy with Barkley or RLC as 7th choice for the front 3 (or which 5 usually play).

Maybe we should have got Pedro back and sent CHO on loan!  With the idea of developing our youth talent.    That would be a strange kind of message.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes but.  On his contract is he in position to ask for a development loan?  Or should he be expected to contribute as and when TT requires?  And would you be happy with Barkley or RLC as 7th choice for the front 3 (or which 5 usually play).

Maybe we should have got Pedro back and sent CHO on loan!  With the idea of developing our youth talent.    That would be a strange kind of message.

I agree with Bob, he needs a regular run of games, and he isn't good enough to get that here.

I also agree with Droy.......he signed a big boy contract on wages that should equal a first team contribution. He isn't delivering on that, and if we loan him out, we're going to pay most of his wage anyway as it's so exorbitant in relation to his standing in the game. 

chara   
5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I agree with Bob, he needs a regular run of games, and he isn't good enough to get that here.

I also agree with Droy.......he signed a big boy contract on wages that should equal a first team contribution. He isn't delivering on that, and if we loan him out, we're going to pay most of his wage anyway as it's so exorbitant in relation to his standing in the game. 

Good post Pw......a player has a resposibility to himself as well as the team..it is a team game after all....Maybe it was the injury, maybe CHO just hasn't got that extra step up in him...see Mason...or RLC for the other comparison....it seems to me fwiw that he just doesn't  want to take on players,or maybe not confident enough now, the way he did when first he featured..I understand there are limitations when played at "wing backj" but on more than one occasion he has been clear and instead of trying to take on a defender wide he lays the ball back. I want him to do well, of course. but is he another Josh et al?

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It is just my theory, but one I have a level of confidence in ... Losing several talented youngsters ostensibly as they wouldn't sign new deals this summer is the legacy of the likes of Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek getting wages their contributions didn't match up to and the club not wanting to take those risks again. 

I think he's done here. He isn't getting a loan while we need a back up option, and by the time we can get a different back up he'd be best off leaving entirely.

chara   
16 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

It is just my theory, but one I have a level of confidence in ... Losing several talented youngsters ostensibly as they wouldn't sign new deals this summer is the legacy of the likes of Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek getting wages their contributions didn't match up to and the club not wanting to take those risks again. 

I think he's done here. He isn't getting a loan while we need a back up option, and by the time we can get a different back up he'd be best off leaving entirely.

Have to agree...another factor in the moving on of youngsters could be the fact that both CHO and RLC were both considered to be almost nailed on prospects but for reasons well explored on here both have not made the step up. The "Counting your chickens before they are hatched" syndrom....just a thought.

52 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'd put it slightly differently.  Pricing players who are 20 and haven't been out on loan yet is trememdously difficult.  We probably paid RLC and CHO too much and regretted initially not offering Solanke more.
A 4 or 5 year contract for a 19/20 year old is by far the biggest investment of the whole Academy pipeline, and the biggest risk too as it goes into one player not a year group.
It is very difficult to get right.   
The 15 or 30 kids we trained to get to that one 20 yo cost a fraction of his 5 year contract.

The lack of success probably lead us to paying a few too much, and then the flood of success possibly lead us to offering not enough.  Meanwhile the success made clubs like Brighton or Southampton feel much more confident in putting in aggressive bids for Cobham kids who had barely played first team football.

It is a really difficult process to get right.
Right now, we have CHO & Chalobah as firm squad members (both started on Saturday) and Sarr who is in a similar position and age (I would guess).  Then there are Gallagher, Ampadu and Gilmour all with PL loans (now or before) who might all be ready to joing the squad next year (and Broja perhaps the year after).

Ignoring Christensen, Mount and James as "In" if still settling.  Ignoring Pulisic and Havertz  who are equally in but equally young.  And ignoring RLC (opinions may vary), Barkley, Baker and Musonda as no longer development projects.  And after the club passed on Tammy, Tomori, Guehi and Livramento.

That gives us 3 now entering, +4 coming players for TT to work into the squad.  The club is gunning for trophies this year so that is expecting rather a lot of TT.  

chara   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'd put it slightly differently.  Pricing players who are 20 and haven't been out on loan yet is trememdously difficult.  We probably paid RLC and CHO too much and regretted initially not offering Solanke more.
A 4 or 5 year contract for a 19/20 year old is by far the biggest investment of the whole Academy pipeline, and the biggest risk too as it goes into one player not a year group.
It is very difficult to get right.   
The 15 or 30 kids we trained to get to that one 20 yo cost a fraction of his 5 year contract.

The lack of success probably lead us to paying a few too much, and then the flood of success possibly lead us to offering not enough.  Meanwhile the success made clubs like Brighton or Southampton feel much more confident in putting in aggressive bids for Cobham kids who had barely played first team football.

It is a really difficult process to get right.
Right now, we have CHO & Chalobah as firm squad members (both started on Saturday) and Sarr who is in a similar position and age (I would guess).  Then there are Gallagher, Ampadu and Gilmour all with PL loans (now or before) who might all be ready to joing the squad next year (and Broja perhaps the year after).

Ignoring Christensen, Mount and James as "In" if still settling.  Ignoring Pulisic and Havertz  who are equally in but equally young.  And ignoring RLC (opinions may vary), Barkley, Baker and Musonda as no longer development projects.  And after the club passed on Tammy, Tomori, Guehi and Livramento.

That gives us 3 now entering, +4 coming players for TT to work into the squad.  The club is gunning for trophies this year so that is expecting rather a lot of TT.  

Very good breakdown Droy....a comprehensive expanding of what I think we have been trying to say.