• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

7 hours ago, bONes said:

I saw and lots of negativity directed to Jorginho and Sarri though, people still found what to complain about even after us being 3-0 up.

Which is ridiculous after that performance from him. 

Not to mention the Bridge was half-empty with 5 mins to go. Not many seasons ago we used to make fun of the customary Emirates fire-drill when they were a goal down and we approached the end. We have now sunk so low we do it when we are winning 3-0 and playing well. The standard of our home fans has fallen to ridiculous levels. 

Stim   
6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Foden is 6 months older and left "School" a year ago too.

But Pep is an excellent manager => anything he does is an excellent decision => proof that he is an excellent manager.

This is true. When I read reddit folks (lol) talk about Foden they mention how he must be patient and would be good for him to go on loan next year.

Could you imagine the ultimate meltdown if CHO went on loan. It would be biblical.

10 hours ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Only the second time we’ve scored three goals in a league game since early November, the other time was against Huddersfield. 

To claim that performance wasn’t a huge improvement over what we’ve seen recently would be massively disingenuous. 

First line kinda contradicts the second, doesn't it? Suggests that the opponent and not our performance made the difference.

It was a good result and I'm pleased with it, and certainly there were moments to be happy about but I really don't think you can say that it was any better a performance than our average game this season, or at least are average game since December/January. 

What was good ... I liked that there were more flicks and periods of quick one-touch football. It most often came to nothing and each individual failure was annoying, but as a pattern it was good to see those sorts of transitional risks being taken from time to time, breaking up the possesion play. The difference that made the difference there was less Hudson-Odoi and more Giroud. He didn't offer much else, but didn't really have to to vindicate starting. 

We were still very static, and still essentially created very few chances, with there being very periods of extended pressure on Brighton's defence. It is not a criticism of them as individuals, more to balance out some of what I've read here, but neither Hudson-Odoi or Loftus-Cheek made any difference whatsoever in that respect. They are not silver bullets.

Loftus-Cheek's goal was absolutely lovely, but I found myself again overall a little disappointed. Perhaps it comes down to instructions, perhaps it is more about physical fitness, but there were so many times in the final third where he'd pass to Jorginho or Hazard and then either move only a few yards or stand in literally the same place and wait to get the ball back, when what we were dying for was a run. 

Any sighting of Hudson-Odoi only really vindicates whatever position you held on him beforehand so comments on it are pretty pointless now, but I thought he did okay and no more, with 'okay and no more' very high praise for an 18 year old. His willingness to take people on and push the ball past them out wide in the area is very welcome. He also fluffed his lines a few times. I hope he stays, and that whoever the manager is they continue to nuture him rather than throw him to the wolves.

The likes of Emerson, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek have I think done enough to show they can be used from now on.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Not to mention the Bridge was half-empty with 5 mins to go. Not many seasons ago we used to make fun of the customary Emirates fire-drill when they were a goal down and we approached the end. We have now sunk so low we do it when we are winning 3-0 and playing well. The standard of our home fans has fallen to ridiculous levels. 

Not sure if you were at the game, but the exodus came just as the tannoy announced the District line was completely and utterly f*cked. It was a low attendance anyway with much of the upper rows in the East stand completely unused, but be fair to fans who've got homes to get to and jobs to wake up for when the only local tube line gives up on them.

bONes   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Which is ridiculous after that performance from him. 

Exactly! There were brief moments of true joy and chantting after Eden’s and Ruben’s goals, but after 75min ish atmosphere went flat - maybe that also translated into the fact that the team just wanted to see out the game rather than just enjoy playing good football and create a few more chances. 

Btw, in reality Jorginho looks much stronger that he does on tv. Or maybe he was working hard in the gym recently to adapt to EPL. Which would 100% be the right mentality if that’s the case.

xCELERYx   

Re attendance. Reported to be the lowest attended PL game at SB since a 2-2 draw against Southampton on Jan 16th, 2013. A game which came during Rafa Benitez' unpopular reign. 

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Who is Graham Scott?  Some guy trying to make his mark amongst referees I fear.

Not that strong without Rudiger or Willian, but more than strong enough I hope.  Shame it isn't live on TV.

Every game is live, if you know where to look. DM me if you want details on how I can watch quite literally any PL game live on my TV for £60 a year. 

14 hours ago, Never happy said:

It must be some hold, Jorginho has over Sarri, to get picked again..

Why is there this weird obsession with Sarri and Jorginho? Have Azpiilcueta, Luiz and Kepa got a "hold" on Sarri too? They always play. 

13 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Well this was a big big difference compared to some of the recent games we’ve been playing. 

We are finally pressing, we move and we use fewer touches. Jorginho all of a sudden looks a player, Hudson-Odoi keeps width on the right and Loftus-Cheek great at keeping the ball in narrow positions and play it around regardless. Kante’s energy is such a strength when the midfielders around him do their job and Emerson is such a step up from Alonso offering support for Hazard all the time. 

We look a different team but then again that’s no surprise considering we finally play our strongest eleven. Oh and Giroud makes everyone around him a better player. His hold up game has been very good so far. 

Without meaning to sound like a party pooper, I didn't think the game was any differenet at all,apart from one thing - the finishing.

Look at a couple of the comments on here after half an hour - exactly the same stuff. The goal, 38 minutes in, was our first proper shot at goal, and certainly our first on target. In the second half, we scored two wordlies. No change in tactics or quality of play apart from 2 moments of indiviudal brilliance. 

We ended the game with 4 shots on target, one less than we had at Everton, in an "awful" performance, and just one more than we had at Cardiff in another awful performance. 

12 hours ago, chelboy said:

I just hope he swallows his pride and sticks with this team for the rest of the season. Every fan could see this is our best line up , deep down I am sure he knows it too. 

We have 6 games in the next 24 days. You want us to play the same team every game? Madness. 

12 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Finally got a sensible starting 11. Just pop Rudiger back in and these should start for the rest of the season.

As above......people moaned that Sarri wasn't rotating, now he is, but you don't want him to in what is our busiest period of the season? 

11 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

BHA were pretty poor though. I think the context of the opposition has to be taken into consideration here as well. RLC was very very quiet until that moment of magic from him (which we all know he is capable of) and CHO I thought was also quiet. 

I don’t know... I’d be tempted to start Pedro next game and Barkley as well against the next team.

BHA are awful. We stuffed Huddersfield 5-0 too without RLC and CHO and I don't remember many saying we had to stick to that XI all season. 

11 hours ago, chelboy said:

On recent form I think Rudiger has been dodgy at the back. Could do with a break. Christensen is calm in defensive situations where sometimes Rudiger is rash. 

I think Christensesn should play with Rudiger or Luiz. The latter 2 are quite similar in style, high risk, all action defenders, whilst like you say, AC plays in a much calmer fashion. 

11 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

So you wouldn’t give this 11 another chance to go again and prove themselves in a London derby? I absolutely would.

Pedro and Barkley has a chance against Cardiff and offered less than very little.

Possibly. WH will provide a much bigger test though.

11 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

That was some performance. Toss up between Hazard and Jorginho for MoM while Loftus-Cheek and Kanté were excellent as well. Hudson-Odoi very, very good first half but dwindled somewhat in the second. Still a good performance and kept width all game which was nice to see from our wingers from a change. 

I concur that this is our best starting XI with Christensen/Rüdiger and Hudson-Odoi/Pedro being the question marks and decided upon form. Loftus-Cheek is just such a natural talent and his potemtial is freightening. How he doesn't start most of our games is beyond me - twice the player Kovacic is and much more consistent than Barkley. 

Hoping this will prove to be a turning point for Sarri and that he uses this as the base going forward. 

Was it? Or was it very clinical against an awful team? 

BHA away record, P16, W3, D2, L11.

I agree on the RLC comments though, particularly against the poorer teams who won't move out of their half. He can score goals, like he showed in the last few days. Edit - RLC now averages a goal every 113 minutes in the PL. 

11 hours ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Only the second time we’ve scored three goals in a league game since early November, the other time was against Huddersfield. 

To claim that performance wasn’t a huge improvement over what we’ve seen recently would be massively disingenuous. 

The performance was average. We created 2 or 3 chances, whilst 2 players produced two moments of magic. 

11 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

And 2 of the goals were worldies too.

Yup. 

10 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Thought similar to be honest. Wasn't as an impressive performance as the scoreline would suggest. Brighton were duller than a butter knife and virtually made little effort to make a real go of it. Some good play with CHO and Giroud to work their goal, then two individual moments of brilliance with Hazard and RCL to ice the cake. On another day it could have easily have ended 1-0. That said, an important 3 points heading into the final stretch of games. 

Was good to see CHO, RLC, Emerson, Giroud and Christensen get much deserved starts. We'll now have to wait and see if this is the side that finishes the season out (it should be), or if we'll see a return to the usual suspects. 

Absolutely. 

6 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Jorginho was really excellent tonight.

I thought that the performance from the team as a whole, was 100% application and commitment. I didn’t feel that about the Cardiff performance at all. 

RLC is beginning to really look like a player now. He is very good at protecting possession and is thinking much quicker. Efficient and effective.

CHO good 1st half, but tired in the 2nd. Sarri was right to acknowledge his defensive contribution, which, although he made a few mistakes, was a sign that he is learning very quickly. A proper bona-fide option as one of 4 AMs.

Christensen excellent - pleased for him.

Felt a bit like new Chelsea seeing 3 of them out there tonight from the start. Ironically, he made the changes and we ended up playing more Sarriball in this game than we have for months and months.

All positive - keep it going.

Agree 100% 

Don't praise Jorginho though, you'll get called a Sarri fanboy. 

paulw66   
13 hours ago, Never happy said:

Same as usual

13 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

20190403_201330.jpg

13 hours ago, Aussie1979 said:

At work disappointed looks like same old struggles not enough shots 

Selection of comments on the forum during the first 38 minutes.

Do people really think it was much different? 

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

It was a good result and I'm pleased with it, and certainly there were moments to be happy about but I really don't think you can say that it was any better a performance than our average game this season, or at least are average game since December/January. 

What was good ... I liked that there were more flicks and periods of quick one-touch football. It most often came to nothing and each individual failure was annoying, but as a pattern it was good to see those sorts of transitional risks being taken from time to time, breaking up the possesion play. The difference that made the difference there was less Hudson-Odoi and more Giroud. He didn't offer much else, but didn't really have to to vindicate starting. 

We were still very static, and still essentially created very few chances, with there being very periods of extended pressure on Brighton's defence. It is not a criticism of them as individuals, more to balance out some of what I've read here, but neither Hudson-Odoi or Loftus-Cheek made any difference whatsoever in that respect. They are not silver bullets.

Loftus-Cheek's goal was absolutely lovely, but I found myself again overall a little disappointed. Perhaps it comes down to instructions, perhaps it is more about physical fitness, but there were so many times in the final third where he'd pass to Jorginho or Hazard and then either move only a few yards or stand in literally the same place and wait to get the ball back, when what we were dying for was a run. 

Any sighting of Hudson-Odoi only really vindicates whatever position you held on him beforehand so comments on it are pretty pointless now, but I thought he did okay and no more, with 'okay and no more' very high praise for an 18 year old. His willingness to take people on and push the ball past them out wide in the area is very welcome. He also fluffed his lines a few times. I hope he stays, and that whoever the manager is they continue to nuture him rather than throw him to the wolves.

The likes of Emerson, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek have I think done enough to show they can be used from now on.

Like this post a lot as I saw the game similarly.

Your point on RLC's movement I noticed a few times in the first half where he would pass to Hazard and then stop and watch, so infuriating. Of course a sublime finish yet it could have been a better performance from him.

Hudson-Odoi had reasonable movement yet few of his crosses (first goal excepted) succeeded in passing the first man.

Luiz and Jorginho played well yet were not really closed down.

Thought Emerson looked solid and we look better with Giroud at this moment in time.

JaneB   

Anyone else just slightly envious of Tottenham's new stadium?

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It does seem that you are getting annoyed that people cannot see what an excellent coach we have.

I expect you will then realise why some many people switched off during the "standing in the wrong place" debate.

The Standing in the wrong place debate lasted about 2 games - when Conte swtiched to 3CBs (from 8).  I praised him for that in the PMT of the very next game - but of course people went on about a point I had made at the very appropriate time.

3 hours ago, Stim said:

This is true. When I read reddit folks (lol) talk about Foden they mention how he must be patient and would be good for him to go on loan next year.

Could you imagine the ultimate meltdown if CHO went on loan. It would be biblical.

A Loan would be excellent for CHO.  There I have said it.  (And we need more than just Pulisic in first).

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Every game is live, if you know where to look. DM me if you want details on how I can watch quite literally any PL game live on my TV for £60 a year. 

I'll watch the CTV version later on this evening..

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

We ended the game with 4 shots on target, one less than we had at Everton, in an "awful" performance, and just one more than we had at Cardiff in another awful performance. 

... and yes, this is what I expect to see.  The difference between games we lose and games we win is often minimal - that is how football works when you are in 4th to 6th place, not top 2.