• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Kepa or Allisson? Alex-Arnold or Azpili? Robertson or Emerson? VdV or Luiz? Jorginho or Fabinho? Henderson or Loftus-Cheek? Hazard or Salah? Willian or Mane? CHO or Firminho? 

Hazard is better than their entire front 3. No doubt. In midfield, I take Kante and RLC (he’s mostly lacking in big game experience). Kepa / Allison is a toss up. Then Luiz over Matip. 

Our main problem at this point is mostly 2 fold: none of our fullbacks are compatible for expansive football - one can attack but not defend while the other can defend but is ineffective offensively. The second problem is Sarri is only in his first season in implementing his philosophy compared to Klopp in his 4th season. Klopp has had 4 trophyless seasons to refine his system and find players suited to play same. Also, to a lesser extent, playing/ traveling on Thursday wasn’t going to help against a high intensity unit. Given this background, it was prudent to sit back and rely on the counter. .. until one of our weaknesses reared it’s ugly head. Notwithstanding, on another day, Hazard scores at least 1 of his 2 gilt edged chances to give us a chance. 

Therefore the definitive question is will CFC board be as patient with Sarri as Liverpool has been with Klopp notwithstanding that Klopp hasn’t won anything since being hired 4 years ago? Point being, what you are admiring is 4 years in the making and not a simple as comparing players because he’s been given time to find players & mold others to fit his system. For instance, the likes of Henderson, Milner, wyndolyn, etc aren’t individually world beaters who will walk into CFC starting 11 but with multiple years of training, they’re effective as a unit which gives the impression that they’re great individually when they aren’t. 

• Like 1

Blue Rod   
15 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Rod, to me, Roman has turned off the tap and I am not sure what people expect. 

The Board has limited funds because despite the obvious drop in quality we are still playing silly money which is why for the most part players don’t leave.

If we miss out on Champions League as I fear we might it is going to be a difficult summer van or no ban.

We could be back to where we were before Roman bought the club. But I very much doubt we could sink that low. I honestly think we are being let down by an incompetent manager. In the first 45 mins today we saw a glimpse of what our midfield could be if we had not spent 7 months experimenting with nonsense. 

Stim   

I'm curious to what you think a 'competent' manager can achieve with this team. 5 points more? 10?

Because Conte was competent.

30 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

If Sarri has a job next season regardless of a top four finish and a Europa league win I will be amazed. If we still had players with the balls of the 2007/8 side, they would have taken over the managing of the side months ago like that squad did with Grant. 

If we still had the players of the skills of that side, we'd be 10 points above 4th place.

7 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Rod, to me, Roman has turned off the tap and I am not sure what people expect. 

Jorginho, Kepa, Pusilic and Higauin suggest differently.  We spent a fortune last year on crap players, now we are spending a fortune carefully on the future.

All I can see has been a very very smart set of trades in managers and players since Spring 2018.  Well done that board.

5 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Which makes you wonder if it makes any sense playing them (RLC and CHO) as the both of them don’t seem like players who will accept bench roles next season.

RLC, for me, has shown improvement in the sense that he is at least more involved now during the game. Whether that means something as simple as being in a better position defensively - it is still improvement. 

I would keep him around next year, but I would look to get someone better in.

The same goes for Odoi but he seems a lot further behind in his development. He needs a loan to a PL club and he needs to get the idiots who are advising him out of his head. He could one day become a useful player, but he’s closer to Maitland-Niles right now than he is to someone like Raheem Sterling who was tearing things up at his age. 

Well CHO is doing all the right things towards being a top player at 21 or 22.  Sarri has got that right and the only issue is getting him to sign a contract.

Where he can do a job as well as anyone is sitting out wide and waiting for the opportunities.  That requires skill and pace but not too much experience.  Getting more involved in the game in midfield, and knowing when to do what is something that Willian and Pedro do much better.  Ironically against Liverpool CHO was the wrong call, but he would have been ideal against Slavia, and by his later EL games had got the hang of playing weaker teams, where we could play 8 vs 10 in the middle and cash in with our wingers.

10-15 PL starts next year for an 18/19 yo is pretty good - and as much as he will get at BM.  I don't think Callum should worry about being lost at Chelsea (especially if we replace Hazard with a mortal winger).  

~BTW - Raheem Sterling, in the year he turned 18 (and so his last year officially still at school) Sterling made only 3 appearances for Liverpool.  It was the next year he broke through.  CHO really is quite ridiculously young to be hyped as much as he is without being at the level of Vinicius or Mbappe.

RLC is 5 years older than CHO and needs to be performing week in week out if he ever wants to hold down a starting place.  He probably needs a loan or a move, but most of all he needs to decide where he is going to play.  In a game where we were overwhelmed in midfield he offered almost nothing.  Either that has to change a great deal, or he has to move to AM and play there (actually this is probably his best move).

Holymoly   
56 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

The United game is huge for us now. Could be a job interview for Sarri for next season.

Do you really want another season of this? I think we all now realise why he never actually won anything in Italy.

Outplayed by a much better side, no complaints with that.

But now there remains a big question for Roman, where does he see the direction of this club going, when he bought this club the goal was to become a European powerhouse and for many years this was the case. 
But since we won the CL in 2012 we have gone backwards and before you say it, yes we won a few trophies since then, but in reality the players and quality, along with the rudderless board of directors we have not  improved and we certainly haven't looked capable of winning the CL again. Its alarming how far we have fallen behind Liverpool and Man City, I think its right if we finish 5th or 6th because that is really how good we are. So again Roman what the frigging heck are we doing about it, for me either sell to someone who has the right vision, or start running this club in a professional way.

Like Sarri or not, he is right regarding the mentality of this squad it is weak as piss, as others have said its probably better for him to go, but does it solve anything really, the foundation of this club is fundamentally weak and firing manager after manager using the same philosophy has finally come to an end.

We have had great managers in Jose and Carlo along with Conte, three top top managers and even then we are still left with the same goons in charge who for me are just incompetent. 

So whose next, I don't frigging care now because nothing will change and we will continue scrimp and scrape when it comes to looking for the top talent, for example lets say we get 100 million+ for Hazard, in my mind I see the club going out and buying a few players for 30/40 million each instead of splashing on a world class striker, that is what we have done for many years. Take the money spent on Batshuyi, Bakayoko and Morata, then add in Drinkwater, how much have they spent on these 4 players who have been utterly useless or do not fit this system. Mindboggling!!!

kev61   

The thing about football  it is boring you see the odd flash of brilliance by Hazard and the commitment of Kante and his dominance but I don't even watch motd - there is nothing to watch just a kick about by over paid average people in what they do.

23 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Salah's strike was either world class or luck.

Hate to say it, but I reckon Courtois would have saved it. 

Blue Rod   
9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Jorginho, Kepa, Pusilic and Higauin suggest differently.  We spent a fortune last year on crap players, now we are spending a fortune carefully on the future.

You've heard it guys; Jorginho, Higuain, and Sarri are our future. Those of you still alive after reading this can grab yourself really stiff drinks

1 minute ago, Original 21 said:

Hate to say it, but I reckon Courtois would have saved it. 

Definitely NOT Tebo. Apparently, you haven’t watched a lot of Madrid games this season. The only goalie in England that would’ve saved it with ease is De Gea because of his technique, anticipation and longer arms. He makes those type of saves look routine. Kepa isn’t near that level yet but he’s making steady improvements.