• Current Donation Goals

kev61   
2 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

You've heard it guys; Jorginho, Higuain, and Sarri are our future. Those of you still alive after reading this can grab yourself really stiff drinks

I find droy fascinating.He is the Boris Johnson  of football - likeable and quirky but an absolute buffoon.

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Do you really want another season of this? I think we all now realise why he never actually won anything in Italy.

And there was me thinking it was because Juve have double the budget.  Imagine what Napoli could have done with a better manager then.  4 points apart last year, Napoli must surely have overtaken Juve this year.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:
But since we won the CL in 2012 we have gone backwards and before you say it, yes we won a few trophies since then, but in reality the players and quality, along with the rudderless board of directors we have not  improved and we certainly haven't looked capable of winning the CL again. Its alarming how far we have fallen behind Liverpool and Man City, I think its right if we finish 5th or 6th because that is really how good we are. So again Roman what the frigging heck are we doing about it, for me either sell to someone who has the right vision, or start running this club in a professional way.

This is completely misleading.  The old side peaked in 2010, and we got very lucky (overdue luck) in 2012, but the side was already being completely overhauled in 2011.  We just hovered up a ton of talent in 2011-13 - so much talent we had to let some go (Salah or Hazard, KdB or Willian, etc).  
The 2014 team that won 2 PL titles was completely different from the previous era.  
The 2014 team fell apart last year and a new overhaul is needed - but very clearly the board are dealing with that.

More over the 2014 and subsequent teams have to be built in times of much greater financial competiton.  That means peaks and troughs are now the new normal.

13 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:
We have had great managers in Jose and Carlo along with Conte, three top top managers and even then we are still left with the same goons in charge who for me are just incompetent. 

They keep hiring great managers though, and the club has won an awful lot of trophies despite not being close in spending to the 2 Manchesters for 7 or 8 years now.  

9 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Hate to say it, but I reckon Courtois would have saved it. 

Maybe.  But Kante or Kovacic standing where Jorginho was, and Salah doesn't get the shot away.

4 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

Definitely NOT Tebo. Apparently, you haven’t watched a lot of Madrid games this season. The only goalie in England that would’ve saved it with ease is De Gea because of his technique, anticipation and longer arms. He makes those type of saves look routine. Kepa isn’t near that level yet but he’s making steady improvements. 

Yep. I gather he’s had an underwhelming season at Real Madrid. He used to make those saves for us. Don’t know what’s happened to him.

Point is I’m not convinced by Kepa as he rarely pulls off difficult saves, has a habit of diving under shots, and his distribution is erratic and often ends up putting the pressure back on us. I can see the potential. But he’s a long way off De Gea’s quality. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Dirty scum..... And the ref does nothing. 

I saw that at the time and questioned myself, if that had been done by Diego Costa they'd have built a gallows by now. 

Seeing it again is incredible. 

chelboy   

Main targets in the summer should be bringing in top quality full backs and a proper striker. Until we get real quality in those areas we will struggle with any type of attacking football. Really think Azpi should he playing CB I don’t think his legs can run up and down well enough. Emerson should be a squad player rather than 1st choice but that shows how poor Alonso is.

Striker position has been a disaster. Marina was right about not backing Sarri with Higuain the 1st time. Pretty sure Piatek would have been a target too. We have played the last two seasons without a top striker. I think we need even two good strikers next season especially without Hazard. 

Again, the bigger issue here is if you aren’t outspending everyone (like during the early years of Roman), then you need to be a bit more patient in your approach. Classic exhibits are Liverpool and Tottenham. They haven’t won jack in donkey years but both clubs are better positioned than us at the moment. The Manchester clubs will continue to throw money around like there’s no tomorrow so if we want to compete, we need patience and a prudent approach. Sarri isn’t the best but he’s far from the problem. But with better administrative support from the club, the end product on the pitch will gradually improve under Sarri. Again, Klopp has won jack in 4 years at Liverpool but he’s being hailed today. In the first season of Sarri, and without the benefit of a full summer preseason, CFC barely lost on pks in one cup finals, has half a leg in the Europa league semifinals, and still within touch of a top 4 finish. Whether Sarri is the right person is up for debate but implementation of expansive football requires a lot of patience. 

• Like 1

chara   
11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I find droy fascinating.He is the Boris Johnson  of football - likeable and quirky but an absolute buffoon.

There are many barbs to point at Droy but buffoon is not one of them...back off from knee jerk reactions to some of his (obvious) windup stuff and there is a lot of well informed football opinion there.

That comment is not worthy of you Kev..I disagree with him as often as I agree but would never put him or any other poster down..all opinions matter.

10 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Yep. I gather he’s had an underwhelming season at Real Madrid. He used to make those saves for us. Don’t know what’s happened to him.

Point is I’m not convinced by Kepa as he rarely pulls off difficult saves, has a habit of diving under shots, and his distribution is erratic and often ends up putting the pressure back on us. I can see the potential. But he’s a long way off De Gea’s quality. 

Apart from his spotty distribution (supposed to be his strength??), he needs to work on his anticipation especially given he’s far from being the tallest goalie. Just one shuffle to the right - knowing Sallah loves that left footed curler - and he makes the save. Surely, he saw the ball coming from a mile away but the pace on it plus it was slightly curling outwards, gave him no chance. I believe Kun beat him from a similar distance at the Etihad. There are certain players he should know will likely pull the trigger from anywhere inside 25 yards.  If you aren’t mentally switched on, and the strike is perfect, you leave yourself no chance if you are a relatively short goalie like Kepa. 

kev61   
7 minutes ago, chara said:

There are many barbs to point at Droy but buffoon is not one of them...back off from knee jerk reactions to some of his (obvious) windup stuff and there is a lot of well informed football opinion there.

That comment is not worthy of you Kev..I disagree with him as often as I agree but would never put him or any other poster down..all opinions matter.

Are you for real? his whole campaign is to belittle people can't you see it? and I am "worthy"of myself that is the only thing I am interested in .

35 minutes ago, kev61 said:

There's nothing likeable about Johnson. He's a congenital, lying arsehole.

• Like 1