• Current Donation Goals

17 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

As a matter of fact I've answered this question before. My preferred choice right now would be someone like Didier Deschamps if we're after a reputable and established manager with a winning track record. He's probably the best of those we've yet to burn through.

Depending on our transfer ban situation then I'd be also looking at other managers who've got a history of developing younger players. I think that's going to be important if we're unable to utilise the transfer market and to make the most of some of the good talent we do have coming through the club right now. Eddie Howe is an English option if one chooses to go down that path. Gian Piero Gasperini is a more left field option and done well with some less fancied Serie A sides and bringing through some promising players. Has also been very impressive with Atalanta this season. Although, he is 61 years old and that is a bit of a sticking point for me. Erik ten Hag has impressed me with what he's doing with Ajax as well. Frank Lampard and Jody Morris are also a option if we're going to go all in and would please most fans to see back at the club. Julian Nagelsmann was someone else that caught the eye but has already committed himself to RB Leipzig for next season and beyond.

I mean, there's certainly options out there. I'd be holding off on a decision until the end of the season once we know where we stand exactly. Then using that as a basis to assess which direction we're best of heading towards with a managerial option.

Deschamps is someone I think the club can look at in the future. Definitely a good shout IMO. 

As for your original question, I think Sarri has done some good things and some bad things this season. He has grown on me while in the role.

I started off very unconvinced by him. At one point he seemed genuinely lost but he remained calm from what I could tell, and he’s certainly got the team in a reasonable position right now.

Regarding his skill as a motivator - we seem to be doing as well as I think we can this year.

As a man manager, Hazard has spoken highly of him. I noticed Loftus-Cheek called him an honest man as well in his last interview before Liverpool. He has been straightforward when he has had to be. No signs of maliciousness so far.

With respect to the youth, he has definitely played CHO this year, and Christensen and Loftus-Cheek are beginning to feature as much as one should reasonably expect them to. 

His matchday tactics go as far as they can go. Tactics are great but even JM will tell you a point comes when the coach can only do so much.

In terms of is he the right guy to rebuild the squad? He has certainly put together very decent sides before.

But this isn’t up to what I want anyway (I want Jose back and he is available). The club has selected Sarri  because THEY want a change in philosophy. To fire him now would be completely ridiculous given that he has had 1 real transfer window and the team isn’t in a particularly poor state.

Personally, I would love to see the club return to absolute ruthlessness as had been the case under Jose. I would love to see consistent, talented, winning football week in week out like we used to. I never had a problem with that. I would love to see a manager as passionate and witty as Jose back in the seat. But what I want isn’t necessarily what the club wants right now.

What I can say is that the club made a decision last summer and things aren’t falling apart. It threatened to at one point, but the team pulled itself together. That in itself shows that the players are clearly still with the manager and that’s a positive that has to go down in support of Sarri.

The coming transfer window is going to be as crucial as anything Sarri can or cannot do. Nobody can seriously make the point that the club needs a new manager right now MORE than it needs a proper striker, a proper right forward, a proper LCM, a couple fullbacks and a CB of real caliber to challenge what we have got. 

That’s 6 players we need. That’s a full blown rebuild. We can change the manager but absolutely nothing will change the fact that we definitely need a rebuild. 

I don’t think anyone has so far made the point that if Sarri is still having problems next year to continue to stick by him. But we haven’t even got to that point yet, have we? You guys are calling for his head without giving him a real crack of the whip. 

50 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I don’t think anyone has so far made the point that if Sarri is still having problems next year to continue to stick by him. But we haven’t even got to that point yet, have we? You guys are calling for his head without giving him a real crack of the whip. 

This.

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Deschamps is someone I think the club can look at in the future. Definitely a good shout IMO. 

As for your original question, I think Sarri has done some good things and some bad things this season. He has grown on me while in the role.

I started off very unconvinced by him. At one point he seemed genuinely lost but he remained calm from what I could tell, and he’s certainly got the team in a reasonable position right now.

Regarding his skill as a motivator - we seem to be doing as well as I think we can this year.

As a man manager, Hazard has spoken highly of him. I noticed Loftus-Cheek called him an honest man as well in his last interview before Liverpool. He has been straightforward when he has had to be. No signs of maliciousness so far.

With respect to the youth, he has definitely played CHO this year, and Christensen and Loftus-Cheek are beginning to feature as much as one should reasonably expect them to. 

His matchday tactics go as far as they can go. Tactics are great but even JM will tell you a point comes when the coach can only do so much.

In terms of is he the right guy to rebuild the squad? He has certainly put together very decent sides before.

But this isn’t up to what I want anyway (I want Jose back and he is available). The club has selected Sarri  because THEY want a change in philosophy. To fire him now would be completely ridiculous given that he has had 1 real transfer window and the team isn’t in a particularly poor state.

Personally, I would love to see the club return to absolute ruthlessness as had been the case under Jose. I would love to see consistent, talented, winning football week in week out like we used to. I never had a problem with that. I would love to see a manager as passionate and witty as Jose back in the seat. But what I want isn’t necessarily what the club wants right now.

What I can say is that the club made a decision last summer and things aren’t falling apart. It threatened to at one point, but the team pulled itself together. That in itself shows that the players are clearly still with the manager and that’s a positive that has to go down in support of Sarri.

The coming transfer window is going to be as crucial as anything Sarri can or cannot do. Nobody can seriously make the point that the club needs a new manager right now MORE than it needs a proper striker, a proper right forward, a proper LCM, a couple fullbacks and a CB of real caliber to challenge what we have got. 

That’s 6 players we need. That’s a full blown rebuild. We can change the manager but absolutely nothing will change the fact that we definitely need a rebuild. 

I like this. You seem to be one of the most unbiased posters on here and if I recall rightly were not overly keen on Sarri at one point but didn't jump the gun calling for him to be sacked after a few games or within 6 months.

My feelings are pretyy much exactly the same as yours, unfortunately I can't make any comment regarding this season without being called a Sarri fan boy, which I've said numerous times I'm not but they don't listen, so hopefully some will read this and take it on board. I think it sums up our current situation perfectly. 

7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I wouldn't disagree with you regarding what we need. However, I do seem to be needing to remind people (again) that we facing a transfer ban, so it's likely that we're not going to be in a position buy anyone. What then?

8 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Depending on our transfer ban situation then I'd be also looking at other managers who've got a history of developing younger players. I think that's going to be important if we're unable to utilise the transfer market and to make the most of some of the good talent we do have coming through the club right now. Eddie Howe is an English option if one chooses to go down that path. Gian Piero Gasperini is a more left field option and done well with some less fancied Serie A sides and bringing through some promising players. Has also been very impressive with Atalanta this season. Although, he is 61 years old and that is a bit of a sticking point for me. Erik ten Hag has impressed me with what he's doing with Ajax as well. Frank Lampard and Jody Morris are also a option if we're going to go all in and would please most fans to see back at the club. Julian Nagelsmann was someone else that caught the eye but has already committed himself to RB Leipzig for next season and beyond.

Long list of managers who have won nothing as replacement for the guy who's biggest offence is he has won nothing.

22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I wouldn't disagree with you regarding what we need. However, I do seem to be needing to remind people (again) that we facing a transfer ban, so it's likely that we're not going to be in a position buy anyone. What then?

Fortunately that is very unlikely this summer.  I think most posters know this well enough by now.

For any that don't:

The genuine concern was that if FIFA delayed any first appeal to them, we could suffer the ban before getting the chance to make the next appeal to CAS.
Since then the FIFA Appeal  date has been set, the Appeal has happened and a result is promised by end of April.

So there really is nothing to stop a CAS appeal and a delay in the ban.  You'll find the media have largely stopped talking about a ban this summer.

(Christensen on international duty was yet again asked whether he'd leave Chelsea to get more regular starts at another club in order to help his NT performances.  He dodged the question with a reference to a possible transfer ban - and of course this produced a stream of "Chelsea ban" stories, but Chelsea fans should be well enough informed to ignore them.)

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

His latest  'expertise' was to play Hazard as a false 9 which has failed in the past - what part of him thinks it will be a success in the future?

Maybe the part where we beat Man City doing it? As opposed to every other team, who didn’t do it and got beaten. I don’t like it, don’t want us to do it and it fails mostly, but it has at least had some limited success against teams that are better than us. Like Liverpool.

23 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Maybe the part where we beat Man City doing it? As opposed to every other team, who didn’t do it and got beaten. I don’t like it, don’t want us to do it and it fails mostly, but it has at least had some limited success against teams that are better than us. Like Liverpool.

And at least he's trying . 

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Thank you for the response first and foremost, I appreciate that.

While I don't necessarily agree with you on a number of points, we do share some common ground with regards to Deschamps, a preference for a return to our more ruthless approach of years gone by, and some of the areas we need to address within the squad itself moving forward (transfer ban pending). 

Our differences on Sarri I tend to expect. I'm more critical of Sarri because of my familiarity with him prior to his arrived here. For me, there still remains the same criticisms of his management style here as there was during his time with Empoli and Napoli. There hasn't been much in the way of evolving his approach across each new experience. With that, I'm still left unconvinced that he's the right man to lead us moving forward. We've all got our own opinions though on Sarri based on the topsy turvy nature of our season so far. We'll see what happens on that front come the summer.

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Quite.  And we really did give Liverpool a game on Sunday.  We hit the post, they score a wonder goal, so a draw was quite feasible.

BTW Hazard does not generally play False 9.  He plays in just the same places as Giroud or Higuain would, so mostly up top.  A False 9 would have one or two other players who regularly get in front of him.

4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

overly keen on Sarri at one point but didn't jump the gun calling for him to be sacked after a few games or within 6 months.

Yeah definitely at one point. But in fairness to Sarri, he seemed to weather the storm and he has definitely remained dignified so far in the face of some really tough circumstances. 

I would be the first guy to call for his head if we were tumbling down the table but the reality is that we are right there within 3 points of where we want to be. And in a few weeks, the league position may not matter as we could win the EL and still end up in the UCL.