• Current Donation Goals

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not always been Cahill's biggest fan when in possession under pressure but you're both being massively disrespectful to a wonderful defender and club servant. 

Try telling anyone that was in Munich that Garry Cahill was average and see what sort of response you get.

As you say a wonderful defender and club servant that will rightly go down in our clubs history as a legend 

22 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Try telling anyone that was in Munich that Garry Cahill was average and see what sort of response you get.

As you say a wonderful defender and club servant that will rightly go down in our clubs history as a legend 

We will be so, so lucky if we ever again have a central defender at our club who wins a CL and two PLs. 

Huge player for us whose worst crime is aging. Deserves more respect. 

Incredible atmosphere at last nights Etihad stadium, on top of a wonderful game.
I wonder if the atmosphere tonight will match it.  

Just kidding - there is a massive gap between CL & EL.  It really is a great shame that 2 out of the PL top 6 - probably all in the European top 12 or 15, have to miss out.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Incredible atmosphere at last nights Etihad stadium, on top of a wonderful game.

Just kidding - there is a massive gap between CL & EL.  It really is a great shame that 2 out of the PL top 6 - probably all in the European top 12 or 15, have to miss out.

It's a good point you make here - the top 6 in the PL are easily CL level teams that deserve to be in that competition.

paulw66   
49 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Alternatively, reduce the CL to just the winners, then the Europa League / UEFA cup becomes a lot stronger and more interesting. Like it used to be.

Bison   
53 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I am glad we have missed out. We would be blown away bg any of the top European teams. Not sure I could stomach us getting embarrassed more often than we have this season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Alternatively, reduce the CL to just the winners, then the Europa League / UEFA cup becomes a lot stronger and more interesting. Like it used to be.

But what do you do in the CL with all those games between Prelims and when the 4 teams from England, Spain, Paris and Munich reach the semis?  You might as well not have a CL till you get to the Semis.  

paulw66   
16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But what do you do in the CL with all those games between Prelims and when the 4 teams from England, Spain, Paris and Munich reach the semis?  You might as well not have a CL till you get to the Semis.  

I don't quite follow.......I also presume Juve and Ajax might object to the sweeping statement above. Even Monaco not that long ago. 

I am proposing a reduced CL 4 groups of 4 perhaps. You'd only lose the round of last 16. Go straight into QFs 

Champions from England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Portugal, and CL holders, then the remaining nations have a play off for CL/EL qualification. 

44 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't quite follow.......I also presume Juve and Ajax might object to the sweeping statement above. Even Monaco not that long ago. 

I am proposing a reduced CL 4 groups of 4 perhaps. You'd only lose the round of last 16. Go straight into QFs 

Champions from England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Portugal, and CL holders, then the remaining nations have a play off for CL/EL qualification. 

Juve, or the top Italian team I grant you - so 5 teams.  But Ajax beating Juve was unexpected to say the least and doesn't help the Juve argument.  Ajax haven't won their domestic league for 4 seasons, and they are only leading on GD right now.  

Monaco had the wonder year and reached the Semis of the CL and won their league.  But then they sold their key player to us, and one or two others to PSG and Man City.  So the only year they qualified as current National champions (last year) they got knocked out in last place of the group with 2 points.

Blue Rod   
43 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Juve, or the top Italian team I grant you - so 5 teams.  But Ajax beating Juve was unexpected to say the least and doesn't help the Juve argument.  Ajax haven't won their domestic league for 4 seasons, and they are only leading on GD right now.  

Monaco had the wonder year and reached the Semis of the CL and won their league.  But then they sold their key player to us, and one or two others to PSG and Man City.  So the only year they qualified as current National champions (last year) they got knocked out in last place of the group with 2 points.

I was a bit surprised by how confident the pundits were about Juventus beating Ajax. After watching the first leg, I put my money on Ajax. It might not have worked, but their football just made more sense to me.

I actually enjoy the current format of CL. It allows for fearless young teams of so-called non-league champions like Ajax to upset the apple cart. I would rather have their tie with Juve than another Real Madrid v Juventus drag show.