• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Eintracht Frankfurt 1 (Chelsea win on penalties)

Holymoly   

Ten years ago today was the infamous Tom Henning Ovrebo game against Barcelona. Where UEFA proceeded, in the most crass terms, to attempt to deal with the English strangle hold on the Champions League. The team that night was:

Cech, Bosingwa, Alex, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Anelka, Drogba, Malouda.

Could you imagine how the players in that team would have reacted if they were playing in the current team? I wouldn't be remotely concerned about them walking through the next three games. How times change. You never appreciate the water until the well runs dry.

Edited by Holymoly

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Cech, Bosingwa, Alex, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Anelka, Drogba, Malouda.

9 of those were World class players.  If we had 6 players of the stature of those, they'd be no issues.  The reason we are a dodgy 3rd to 6th placed team is because we have just two players like that.  Hazard, Kante (and Rudiger perhaps in a year or so).

(With 6 such players and VAR we'd beat Barca today).
We were loaded in those days and us fans were very lucky

Edited by Droy was my hero

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

9 of those were World class players.  If we had 6 players of the stature of those, they'd be no issues.  The reason we are a dodgy 3rd to 6th placed team is because we have just two players like that.  Hazard, Kante (and Rudiger perhaps in a year or so).

(With 6 such players and VAR we'd beat Barca today).

3-1 win at the bridge got to start with a fast pace they will be nervous after the drubbing they got at the weekend 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yes 7 nailed on, but Anelka and Malouda were both capable of fantastic performances.

58 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Yes 7 nailed on, but Anelka and Malouda were both capable of fantastic performances.

We are talking May 2009 - just before 09/10 when both Anelka and Malouda were terrific.
I'd argue 9, and if anyone were to be dropped in May 2009 it would be Essien who had just come back from his ACL in Sept 2008 and never returned to his earlier form (but simply wonderful before).

Leo91   

I remember that was the turn of Malouda. He had Alves on toast in both legs.

1 minute ago, Leo91 said:

I remember that was the turn of Malouda. He had Alves on toast in both legs.

There was one season when we had Malouda ( I think it was his second one )and he was absolutely superb , unplayable.

If he'd been able to keep it up he would have world class for me but just falls short .

asvaberg   

Kepa

Azpi - Chist - Luiz - Emerson

RLC - Kovacic - Jorginho

Pedro - Higuain - Hazard

Do we have any other alternative, really?

8 hours ago, Holymoly said:

This season, in certain games, I've been unable to shake this image of the team in the changing room building each other up to be more and more confident to the point that complacency sets in. Hopefully the fact this is a semi final of a European tournament against a German side and not a run out against Huddersfield will mean this avoided but this season has been so inconsistent one remains fearful.

Now that CL is sorted, I think our confidence will be sky high. Far less pressure for us than other 3 teams.