• Current Donation Goals

2 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

It was a friendly game to highlight and fund raise to kick anti-semitism out of sport.

Very much Roman’s decision I’ve read - and to honour the fixture with a full squad.

It’s frustrating that Ruben got crocked but if you want to attach blame it must be luck, fate or Roman in that order.

It’s been a long season, players are tired but have to stay sharp for Baku. An Arsenal player could just as easily get crocked in training over the next two weeks.

Sure - I know what the game was for. I just don’t see the value or incremental change this game will create. 

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Why should it be the case that his career is now gone.

I hope I’m wrong of course, but the lad has been so unlucky it’s unreal. Can he shoulder another lengthy injury lay-off? For me he’s the biggest talent we’ve produced in eons. 

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Because of the importance of the cause to the owner as you we’ll know. Or are you of the opinion that anti-semitic initiatives should not be considered important?

2 hours ago, Ham said:

If people need to be told that hatred of Jewish people is bad in 2019 then a football match won't help. 

What Ham said. 

lzheyi   

So gutted that RLC who's been playing well recently to miss out following the injury!

Seriously.............. 

I obviously feel strong enough to return to this forum to vent my frustration! (haven't been log in to this site for a long long time....)

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

Roman and Kraft put their hands in their own pockets to the tune of £1m each last night.  Why the need for a football match? Just put the money in and be done with it.

If people need to be told that hatred of Jewish people is bad in 2019 then a football match won't help. 

As Mark said, many Chelsea fans dislike a fan group who choose to call themselves the Y##s.  That's not anti-Semitism.  Not even close. 

If we do have fans that hate Jewish people then the number is probably bang on the national average.

sums it up for me.

I have friends who support other teams, and they refer to spurs as the y*ds (more so than I or any other Chelsea fan I know do).......they're not antisemetic, but that is how they are now known in football circles because their entire fan base sing "y*d army"......the Y word for football fans basically just refers to Spurs, not Jews. 

Not saying any of this is PC, but that is just a fact. 

chara   

First surprise for me was how strong a Chelsea side was put out last night...second bigger surprise was the state of the pitch.... couldn't believe it was so bad for the top tier of American Soccer....I pass better school pitches every day.

Seen a lot of preseason games over here and usually the players look preseason fit and sometimes allow the inferior opposition to look better than they are..last night coming at the end of the season and even allowing for some tiredness the Chelsea players were head and shoulders above the oppos without really having to push anything..stronger faster even in second gear .

RLC?..how can you protect a player 24/7..they have to play/train with all that entails..in the day I missed a season with an ankle injury sustained in preseason training.as someone said.."**** happens"..Shellito's ultimately career ending injury happened in an attempt to get match fitness during the terrible winter that year.(a great loss to Chelsea and the national team).

I hope RLC recovers of course and wish him well.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

"Ruptured" they say again.  I keep reading different interpretations of that, but clearly, as with CHO, RLC has the part torn, but not snapped version, which allowed him to limp off the pitch rather than have his foot flopping around.

So I guess a similar recovery to CHO, and back a month later - around October.

11 hours ago, GianfrancoZola said:

**** happens, it's sport, players get injured. Look at the Giro (not sure if cycling is your thing). Dumoulin prepared for weeks and months for his one big target of the season, gets knocked off in the 3rd stage. Of course it's not ideal, but they could have injured themselves making breakfast, they could have had an injury 5 minutes into the final. At least now we got 2 weeks to prepare.

Quite

2 minutes ago, chara said:

Seen a lot of preseason games over here and usually the players look preseason fit and sometimes allow the inferior opposition to look better than they are..last night coming at the end of the season and even allowing for some tiredness the Chelsea players were head and shoulders above the oppos without really having to push anything..stronger faster even in second gear .

I guess that end of season training isn't very strenuous, leaving the players raring to go when they get on a pitch.
As opposed to pre-season, where most players have left their energy in the training exercises (with the exceptions of the young kids who have been told to be ready to play - they always seem fresh).

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Sure - I know what the game was for. I just don’t see the value or incremental change this game will create. 

I hope I’m wrong of course, but the lad has been so unlucky it’s unreal. Can he shoulder another lengthy injury lay-off? For me he’s the biggest talent we’ve produced in eons. 

What Ham said. 

Maybe, but one can only do what one can. Following on logically from Ham's apparent position then everyone would give up on fighting for any cause and that would not be a good thing at all.

bONes   

Enough RCL debate! What happened, happened and we must now focus on the Arsenal game.

Sciatika   

I think we should go with

-----------------Kepa

Azpi------Christensen---Luiz---Alonso

-------------------Jorghino

-------Kante-----------------Barklay

Willian-----------Giroud---------Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Emerson, Zappacosta, Cahill, Gallagher, Pedro, Higuain

Alonso over Emerson is marginal. I think Emerson better for crosses but Alonso better in air and seems happier to be an ancillary striker.  Barklay because he is better in the final third than Kovacic. I would give Pedro and Willian half and half. Willian (and Giroud) get the start because they have been mainstays of our EL run. I would prefer Gallagher on the bench to Drinkwater, but YMMV.

bONes   

Giroud/Higuain is interesting - Olivier has been great in EL in the first part of the season, but then somehow stopped performing. Whereas Gonzalo seems to be growing into the gaming in the last few matches.

Also, Zappa was quite good since coming in recently.

• Like 1