• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

FC Red Bull Salzburg 3 Chelsea FC 5

chelboy   
20 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Are we still going zonal or are we man to man? (or isn't it clear?)

It seems a mixture at times. Some pick up players while others zonal mark but it looks more man marking I would say if I had to choose. I guess the CB’s man mark but I cannot tell with the full backs. Zouma and Luiz should be more commanding in such situations. Zouma lost his man while Luiz allowed the man that lost Zouma to beat him to the ball. 

Pulisic and Pedro shine as Chelsea beat Red Bull Salzburg

Pedro scores for Chelsea
Pedro's superb goal helped Chelsea to a third straight pre-season win

Christian Pulisic netted his first Chelsea goals and Pedro scored a superb backheel volley as the Blues claimed a 5-3 pre-season win at RB Salzburg.

Pulisic produced two neat finishes in the first half, either side of winning a penalty, scored by Ross Barkley.

Jerome Onguene pulled one back just after the break, before Pedro's ingenious backheel finish.

Michy Batshuayi struck the Blues' fifth, sandwiched between two Takumi Minamino goals for Salzburg.

Frank Lampard's side have now won their last three pre-season games, following victories at Spanish champions Barcelona and Championship team Reading.

A strong starting XI was impressive in Austria, none more so than American international Pulisic, who joined the Blues from Borussia Dortmund last January before returning to the German club for the rest of the 2018-19 season.

Now a member of the Chelsea squad, he demonstrated why they spent £58m to get him, shooting low into the bottom corner after collecting a throughball from Pedro for his first and then taking down a Barkley pass before slotting home his second.

Barkley also put in another good pre-season display, adding another goal to the one he scored at Reading at the weekend.

Chelsea's final pre-season game is at German side Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday, with their first Premier League game eight days later at Manchester United on 11 August.

chara   

Great goals from Chelsea..all made as opposed to the gifts to Red Bull who I thought were better than the HT score suggested. As someone wrote earlier suddenly Chelsea were 2-0 up after looking average at best and not at all "together". Dave seemed to me to misplace a lot of short quick passes but all in all a good preseason game as part of a progression.

The Kepa played well with no comments here. Looked a step forward from last year...one of the things that turned me away from TC was his lack of progress as if he didn't need to work at his game...but that's just me..all the best keepers I have watched over the years have improved their game as they matured..TC just stagnated.

Onward with hope but limited expectations this season.

Ham   
    26 minutes ago, chara said:

Great goals from Chelsea..all made as opposed to the gifts to Red Bull who I thought were better than the HT score suggested. As someone wrote earlier suddenly Chelsea were 2-0 up after looking average at best and not at all "together". Dave seemed to me to misplace a lot of short quick passes but all in all a good preseason game as part of a progression.

The Kepa played well with no comments here. Looked a step forward from last year...one of the things that turned me away from TC was his lack of progress as if he didn't need to work at his game...but that's just me..all the best keepers I have watched over the years have improved their game as they matured..TC just stagnated.

Onward with hope but limited expectations this season.

Actually you're right.  Not only today but Kepa had been great throughout the pre-season.  

4 hours ago, chelboy said:

It seems a mixture at times. Some pick up players while others zonal mark but it looks more man marking I would say if I had to choose. I guess the CB’s man mark but I cannot tell with the full backs. Zouma and Luiz should be more commanding in such situations. Zouma lost his man while Luiz allowed the man that lost Zouma to beat him to the ball. 

For me Zouma is much more at fault for the goal, he is the one who loses the man. Luiz should have been more commanding but the Red Bull player came from behind him with a run which always made him more likely to get the ball as Luiz was stationary. Personally, Zouma concerns me a bit as his passing is poor and he is not a great reader of the game. Personally, I would have Christensen ahead of him. Getting Rudi back asap will be important. 

Used to be a time when pre-season was a walk in the park. Its very competitive this year. Even the Champions and Audi Cups have been enjoyable. 

Enjoyed the game. Quick, high-pressing from Red Bull. We coped well. Thought Barkley looked very good playing that advanced, and Pulisic definitely oozing confidence.

We look so different without Eden Hazard. Its only preseason, but we move the ball quicker and our own press looks a lot more cohesive. Obviously Hazard is a proven match-winner, but there is no reason as to why we can't be fantastic without him IMO.

xCELERYx   
    2 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

For me Zouma is much more at fault for the goal, he is the one who loses the man. Luiz should have been more commanding but the Red Bull player came from behind him with a run which always made him more likely to get the ball as Luiz was stationary. Personally, Zouma concerns me a bit as his passing is poor and he is not a great reader of the game. Personally, I would have Christensen ahead of him. Getting Rudi back asap will be important. 

Luiz is guilty of waiting for the ball to come to him, rather than actually stepping up to attack it. As a senior player he shouldn't be making those mistakes. 

None of our defensive partnerships instil any confidence whatsoever thus far. We miss Rudiger, but even still. No one has really put a good case forward to partner him (he walks back into this defence). At this point, I'm increasingly more open to seeing Azpilicueta being moved into the middle despite his lack of size. 

Can see this being a thorn in our side over the season. First order must be a commanding CB to narshall this lot. 

Bison   

Barkley deceiving everybody again only to stink when it matters. Same story every summer.

19 minutes ago, Bison said:

Barkley deceiving everybody again only to stink when it matters. Same story every summer.

Exactly .

Remember that year he couldn't even walk ?

What a chancer.

• Haha 2