• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

FC Red Bull Salzburg 3 Chelsea FC 5

I’m one of the posters who haven’t given up on Barkley and think that he can, with the right role in the team, be quite the asset for us. But then again I think we will score more goals without Eden in the team so what the hell do I know! 

I suppose there’s plenty of time for nearly everyone to shoot me down as the season progresses! 

chelboy   
4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Luiz is guilty of waiting for the ball to come to him, rather than actually stepping up to attack it. As a senior player he shouldn't be making those mistakes. 

None of our defensive partnerships instil any confidence whatsoever thus far. We miss Rudiger, but even still. No one has really put a good case forward to partner him (he walks back into this defence). At this point, I'm increasingly more open to seeing Azpilicueta being moved into the middle despite his lack of size. 

Can see this being a thorn in our side over the season. First order must be a commanding CB to narshall this lot. 

Exactly my thoughts. The Luiz mistake reminds me of the goal we conceded away to Newcastle last year when the striker nips in front and Luiz is waiting for the header to come to him rather than attacking the ball. I also think Azpi is probably our best CB right now. We just don’t know it yet. 

55 minutes ago, Bison said:

Barkley deceiving everybody again only to stink when it matters. Same story every summer.

He does have some qualities. It’s still pre season but he looks closer to the Barkley I watched in Everton. Perhaps No.10 suits him more afterall that was where he played for Everton. 

Ham   
49 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Exactly .

Remember that year he couldn't even walk ?

What a chancer.

Nice.

Didn't see the match, just goals and some highlights, so can't really say too much on how individuals performed, but the bits I saw showed Barkley in some serious form (I know, I know, it's just pre-season), which if he can continue, he could really make that number 10 role his, with Mount and RLC to put pressure on him too... it would be a nice problem to have. Pulisic also looked very good from what I saw, great close control, can finish and is making the right kind of runs... long may that continue.

Kovacic and Jorginho seemed to work well together in that 2, Kovacic driving run for the goals was lovely to see.

Luiz worries me a lot... he should be the defender we're relying on, but still after all these years playing the game, he is so prone to lapses in concentration and wanting to try to do way too much in the wrong places. Zouma is ok and will still improve, but he also seems to love a mistake as well. We are desperate for Rudiger to get back fit and I'd personally still partner him with Christensen long term.

As I didn't see the game, can't comment too much, but Tammy didn't seem too involved and it's always a shame when your striker doesn't score when your team has scored 5!

Based on this game, it could be a very exciting season! 4-4 vs United anyone?

I watched H1 last night and was quite pleased at how we turned a horrible first 15 around to completely dominate them for the next 30.  Watching H2 today though was horrible.  They had a dozen great chances and 7-7 would not be an unfair result.
They are a goodish team, but on that performance an awful lot of PL teams will get 3 against us this season.

Kante and Rudiger will make a big difference.  But a lot of the vulnerability came from playing 2 very advanced FBs (beyond the point where they are doing a bit of both)  and one CM, often Jorginho deep between the CBs.  I think Jorginho is great, but I think to drop in between the CBs requires a bit more stature.  Mikel did it, Maka always played in front or was mobile to move wide left or right to cover a missing FB.

None of our current FBs is fit enough to cover large lengths of touch line.  Alonso and James are probably good enough to play as auxiliary front players, is that the plan?

Seems to me that on corners we were playing man for man but without the holding because of the coming VAR.  As a result opponents were just running off their man freely.
Gotta be zonal in the new world - I bet every club is zonal by Christmas.  And all clubs will concede a lot from corners.  

Positives:  Bats's goal, where he pushed a good chance straight at keeper, received the rebound, twisted the defender all around and cracked the ball back in the top of the net;  Barkley - again far better than he ever played against PL clubs;  Pedro looked like 28 not 32;  A team with Pedro/Willian, Tammy, Pulisic and Kante in it could press very usefully; Pulisic - still largely unknown to me, but clearly a big threat running ahead of the CF and can finish;  Baka wasn't used.

Zouma, not great but I am hugely impressed at how lean he is.  I kind of assumed he would blow up the way Lukaku has done, but he is almost Rudiger lean.

7 hours ago, Bison said:

Barkley deceiving everybody again only to stink when it matters. Same story every summer.

He never got a chance under Conte and then looked very confused most of the time under Sarri in that withdrawn role. But this is a straight forward role he is being played in now. Some would say its the role he is best suited for. 

So, credit where its due and he looked pretty good yesterday. And yes its "only" preseason but if you actually looked at the game it was very competitive and RB Salzburg were fit and sharp. 

11 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Luiz is guilty of waiting for the ball to come to him, rather than actually stepping up to attack it. As a senior player he shouldn't be making those mistakes. 

None of our defensive partnerships instil any confidence whatsoever thus far. We miss Rudiger, but even still. No one has really put a good case forward to partner him (he walks back into this defence). At this point, I'm increasingly more open to seeing Azpilicueta being moved into the middle despite his lack of size. 

Can see this being a thorn in our side over the season. First order must be a commanding CB to narshall this lot. 

I do not want to defend him too much as I agree he should be more commanding. However, for this goal he could not really move towards to ball as it was essentially dropping right to him, if he ran forward it would have gone over his head. Furthermore, if he is not getting a man on call from Zouma, who should have followed the run anyway, there is not really a need to be attacking the ball like a manic. For that goal, I would say Zouma is 80% responsible as if he tracks his man there is no goal. Luiz did not even see the player coming. 

23 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

I do not want to defend him too much as I agree he should be more commanding. However, for this goal he could not really move towards to ball as it was essentially dropping right to him, if he ran forward it would have gone over his head. Furthermore, if he is not getting a man on call from Zouma, who should have followed the run anyway, there is not really a need to be attacking the ball like a manic. For that goal, I would say Zouma is 80% responsible as if he tracks his man there is no goal. Luiz did not even see the player coming. 

Yes.  If you can't grapple with players (VAR) you can't really follow then all the time, especially against teams that actually have corner routine where they know where the ball is going.
Zonal is all you can do, and then you are still vulnerable when a standing man competes with a guy running and with a bigger leap from behind him.

It should make the season more entertaining as we get more random goals and dull defeats by big clubs of lower clubs become trickier.  So should VAR in a way, because that will certainly create more random goals because of strange reffing.  Even without the full new handball rule for penalties.
Which is bad news for us, and much better news for Liverpool and City who can score at the other end in greater numbers.

chara   

OK..help me here...not seen a replay so may be wrong and am prepare to be corrected. My thoughts as the corner was being taken was why was Luiz on this big fella not Zouma...again I thought Luiz was marking him as he stood there not run into his position..Luiz made a ridiculous challenge which wasn't anything. Always felt that Zouma  played better when JT was on the pitch and the same with Luiz ..but both should be passed that sort of nannying as it were.

And pet peeve. Every time a "change" is made to rules it usually is the keeper who is affected most..P's me off...the change in KO was of little importance but new rules around the  or in the box are fraught with the chance of errors..remember when the passback was banned and the number of silly goals that ensued?