• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

FC Red Bull Salzburg 3 Chelsea FC 5

15 minutes ago, chara said:

OK..help me here...not seen a replay so may be wrong and am prepare to be corrected. My thoughts as the corner was being taken was why was Luiz on this big fella not Zouma...again I thought Luiz was marking him as he stood there not run into his position..Luiz made a ridiculous challenge which wasn't anything. Always felt that Zouma  played better when JT was on the pitch and the same with Luiz ..but both should be passed that sort of nannying as it were.

And pet peeve. Every time a "change" is made to rules it usually is the keeper who is affected most..P's me off...the change in KO was of little importance but new rules around the  or in the box are fraught with the chance of errors..remember when the passback was banned and the number of silly goals that ensued?

Luiz was not marking the goal scorer he appears to have been marking zonally or the player in front of him. The player that scored was originally beside Zouma but he lost Zouma and then attacked the ball from behind Luiz. The more I watch it, the more I am surprised people are primarily blaming Luiz as he would not have seen him coming and the player had the run on him. The only thing you can say is that Luiz should be stronger but again, unless he is getting a call he doesn't need to do it as it is coming straight at him and even if he did get the call he does not have much chance anyway as the Red Ball player had all the momentum.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  If you can't grapple with players (VAR) you can't really follow then all the time, especially against teams that actually have corner routine where they know where the ball is going.
Zonal is all you can do, and then you are still vulnerable when a standing man competes with a guy running and with a bigger leap from behind him.

It should make the season more entertaining as we get more random goals and dull defeats by big clubs of lower clubs become trickier.  So should VAR in a way, because that will certainly create more random goals because of strange reffing.  Even without the full new handball rule for penalties.
Which is bad news for us, and much better news for Liverpool and City who can score at the other end in greater numbers.

Yes VAR is going to change the game in regards to defending. Initially most teams probably will go zonal, unless they're Liverpool and protected. That said, I am sure over the next few years we will see some sort of hybrid system come in as whenever there is a big shift in reffing there is always something that is then adapted to meet the new circumstances.

11 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Yes VAR is going to change the game in regards to defending. Initially most teams probably will go zonal, unless they're Liverpool and protected. That said, I am sure over the next few years we will see some sort of hybrid system come in as whenever there is a big shift in reffing there is always something that is then adapted to meet the new circumstances.

My guess is we will see quite a bit of grapple diving too - falling over on the slightest touch.  But no booking for it.

paulw66   
9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

My guess is we will see quite a bit of grapple diving too - falling over on the slightest touch.  But no booking for it.

Yup, the incentive for an attacker to go down as soon as a defender puts a hand on them is huge.......there will be someone watching on TV who will justify a foul / penalty.

I can really see VAR screwing us over big time. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I can really see VAR screwing us over big time. 

What ? A system brought into play by Mike "Mavis" Riley , the man who booked Cech for having a fractured skull , screwing us over ? Well I never .

Remember the Mourinho season where "everything" wen't wrong ? That started with a spate of ridiculous refereeing decisions that we were apparently the sole victims of , two players sent off for nothing in the first game when we had a spate of injuries and thin squad , etc .

I'm convinced we will , as a club gain nothing from Var and SKY will just write what they wan't to happen and the papers will collude to pressurising referees to ensure it does.

This really will be Liverpool's year . 

paulw66   
11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm convinced we will , as a club gain nothing from Var and SKY will just write what they wan't to happen and the papers will collude to pressurising referees to ensure it does.

Agreed. The thing is, you can justify anything when you watch a replay 10 times. 

Oh look, the naughty defender had his hand on the Liverpool player's arm. That's a foul.......

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Agreed. The thing is, you can justify anything when you watch a replay 10 times. 

And they have been doing that ever since Sky started.  That is the funny thing - we know for a fact that video reviewers can be as biased or more biased than refs.

xCELERYx   
20 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

I do not want to defend him too much as I agree he should be more commanding. However, for this goal he could not really move towards to ball as it was essentially dropping right to him, if he ran forward it would have gone over his head. Furthermore, if he is not getting a man on call from Zouma, who should have followed the run anyway, there is not really a need to be attacking the ball like a manic. For that goal, I would say Zouma is 80% responsible as if he tracks his man there is no goal. Luiz did not even see the player coming. 

Agree to disagree on this I suppose. I thought Luiz left a lot to be desired, set piece or not. He should, and could have, made more of an effort in my book to attack the ball. Even if he didn't get to it, it at least would have put more pressure on the attacker making a play. Instead, he was caught flat footed and the attacker effortlessly got in front of him for a free header on goal. Whether he knows there's a man coming or not, he should be playing the ball with a bit more endeavour in that sort of situation. 

Don't think any of our CB's have covered themselves in much glory during pre-season in general though. Rudiger aside, all three of Luiz, Christensen and Zouma have some glaring deficiencies in their game at this point. With none of them proving to provide any sort of balanced combination together - a worrying issue moving forward. 

Dreading VAR personally, for what it will do to the game as well as what it will do to us. 

We've already had problems with Norwich in the cup, Harry Kane offside goal and Zinchenko taking out Kante (through on goal in the League Cup final) that no one talks about as Sky refused to show a replay. 

47 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Agree to disagree on this I suppose. I thought Luiz left a lot to be desired, set piece or not. He should, and could have, made more of an effort in my book to attack the ball. Even if he didn't get to it, it at least would have put more pressure on the attacker making a play. Instead, he was caught flat footed and the attacker effortlessly got in front of him for a free header on goal. Whether he knows there's a man coming or not, he should be playing the ball with a bit more endeavour in that sort of situation. 

Don't think any of our CB's have covered themselves in much glory during pre-season in general though. Rudiger aside, all three of Luiz, Christensen and Zouma have some glaring deficiencies in their game at this point. With none of them proving to provide any sort of balanced combination together - a worrying issue moving forward. 

I am happy to agree to disagree on this point. However, I totally agree on the CB points you make. Personally, I have been advocating a return to the 3cb/5atb system because of it, as I think that gets the best out of Dave, Luiz, Christ and Alonso, whilst I also believe a proper WB role for both Zappa and James would suit them as well. However, I know that such an idea is unpopular on here and do not want to go over it again as I know most people disagree.