• Current Donation Goals

A gift of a second goal from Mount

9 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

4-3 parting of the sea for their 3rd

Defending throughout pre-season has been a concern. CB's are always too far away from each other. I am not convinced at all we are good enough as a 4 and have enough goals in the squad to mitigate for it. 

I found that game very concerning. Defending was awful throughout and in the first half it was way too easy for Reading to transition the ball from the back to the final third. Additionally, apart from Barkley's goal, the others were give away's/deflected goals. 

Picking the bones out of that I don't know what good things we have found out .

Mount and Barkley have been excellent throughout pre season is one I suppose .

Kante still to feature is another .

Otherwise everything else has to be a concern .

Defensively we are utterly awful , Luis head and shoulders above anyone else which given the nature of his game has to be a concern .

We still cannot defend corners at all .

Azpillicueta has a great engine , great work ethic but couldn't put a cross on a pools coupon which is an absolute waste of a body , he's a great centre half and a reasonable left back but very shaky at right back and in my opinion isn't earning his place .

Kovacic looks exactly what he is - not worth forty million Euros .

Bats was ok today but has been woeful in every single other pre season match , he's lucky we have a ban otherwise he's off , 

We got four goals today , not one from a forward , tells you exactly how mediocre they all are .

It's still early days so hopefully SFL will get them playing as a team , but there was still a lot of players happy to be on the periphery of the game with transition from defence to midfield to attack pretty shonky throughout.

Not a good look.

Bakayoko,Drinkwater,zouma were crap (sell them if you can),

Azpi is finished as a fullback, might be ok in a three

Actually thought Kovacic looked really good alongside Jorghino, his pass which led to Reading's 3rd goal was a mistake from him, but still should have been defended better.

Defending set pieces is still a big problem.

I am still of the opinion that owing to the lack of goals in our forward players and how much better our defenders, particular Luiz, Dave and Alonso are on a back 3/5, we should really look at that formation in the upcoming weeks. I know a lot of people are against this but I honestly feel that if the WB's are instructed correctly it will prove both more beneficial from a defensive and offensive prespective. What I really would like us to try is: 

Kepa 

Dave.        Luiz.        Christensen

Zappa.                                               Alonso

Kante/Jorgi

Barkley/Mount.                  Kante/Kova 

No.10.                No.9

For me in that formation you could instruct the WB to play ahead of the DM against the weaker sides and have more defensive approach against the stronger sides/when we need to defend more (with Emerson coming in then). In the midfield we could instruct Kante/Jorgi to sit at the base of the midfield to protect the back three, or even drop in to give us a back four in a counter attack and the two CM's to play box to box. In attacking phases, Luiz would also have more freedom to step out with the ball which is probably the best side of his game. Upfront we can play an old skool No.10/No.9 little and large with any two of the CF's and AM's (although I would probably initially go with Giroud and Willian/Pedro). 

That type of formation for me would make our defending of set pieces much better as it is currently a joke, while it would also allow us to be more solid when being run against/countered, whilst the WB's could provide us with the width at all times. Additionally, in such a formation we could also slip Rudi, RLC and James in when fit. 

I know this system is not perfect but with the way our defenders play in a four and the lack of goals in our forward players regardless of formation I feel it is the most prudent approach as with a back four I always see us conceeding and I am not convinced we will get enough goals to mitigate against this. 

Ham   

If anything can be drawn from that game it's that Bakayoko is just truly awful at everything. 

Take him out of the equation and the players around are better off.  Drinkwater actually played well but was constantly let down by Baka giving the ball away or being miles out of position. 

He also put pressure on the back 4 by going missing.

He has absolutely no football brain. 

The positives;

Mount, Barkley, Kovacic, Jorginho and the fact that Kante is still to come.